Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI P35 Neo: Questions  (Read 1002 times)

Elrinth

• Winki
MSI P35 Neo: Questions
« on: 22-March-09, 22:23:10 »

I have Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 (4 gb total, ie 4 sticks)

I have MSI P35 Neo-F. I've used auto settings, but recently my motherboard is spooking.
I'm forced to run my Q6600 2.4 Ghz processor in 1.6 Ghz for the computer to run windows xp at all (it runs stable at this speed). At this speed I have cpu temp at 23-24 degress.
Today when I installed latest gfx drivers ati 4850 1gb and latest sounddrivers x-fi platinum and rebooted my computer. It said no boot drive selected, press any key to try again.. So I reboot, it seems all my HDDs are gone o_O.. So I power off completely, and let it stay powered off for a while, then boot up and then my hdds are up and running again. Very weird. Somehow this motherboard seems to be spooking.

I'm going to clean my processor and fan from cool paste with alcohol(t-röd) then reapply new paste to see if it solves my crash at windows startup.

Anyways, what I'm here to ask is what should I run my memories at for settings in BIOS?
The following settings I can input:
* DRAM CAS# Latency
* DRAM RAS# to CAS Latency
* DRAM RAS# preckage
* DRAM RAS# Activate to prec
* DRAM TRFC
* DRAM TWR
* DRAM TWTR
* DRAM TRRD
* DRAM TRTP

What do I have for FSB/Mem Ratio?
What should I enter in Adjust PCI-E Frequency? (i think it's 100 default)
« Last Edit: 22-March-09, 22:26:01 by Elrinth »

Elrinth

• Winki
« Reply #1 on: 23-March-09, 15:06:00 »

It says I should use 5-5-5-18... But what does that represent?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #2 on: 23-March-09, 15:19:11 »

It says I should use 5-5-5-18... But what does that represent?

* DRAM CAS# Latency =5
* DRAM RAS# to CAS Latency =5
* DRAM RAS# preckage =5
* DRAM RAS# Activate to prec =18

The BIOS should automatically use CL5 timings.  You should not need to adjust the timings manually.

What do I have for FSB/Mem Ratio?

For DDR2-800 (=PC2-6400) set FSB/DRAM Ratio to 1:1.5 [for FSB = 266 MHz]:

266 MHz x 1.5 ~ 400 MHz (=DDR2-800 effectively)

The BIOS should automatically adjust the FSB/DRAM Ratio based on the SPD Profiles of your memory sticks. 

What should I enter in Adjust PCI-E Frequency? (i think it's 100 default)

Why would you want to change the PCI-E Frequency?  Yes, 100 is the default value.  Unless you have a specific reason for changing the default PCI-Express frequency, leave it as it is.

-----------

I'm forced to run my Q6600 2.4 Ghz processor in 1.6 Ghz

Why are you forced to do that?  What problems do you have?

-------------------

What PSU are you using? Please provide full PSU Specs.

Elrinth

• Winki
Re: MSI P35 Neo: Questions
« Reply #3 on: 23-March-09, 16:57:48 »

my computer gets either blue screen (hardware fail) at windows xp startup or reboots at windows xp startup if I run it at it's normal speed. It's running at 25 degrees at speed 1.6ghz

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #4 on: 23-March-09, 17:05:56 »

Please provide information about your power supply (look at the PSU sticker an write down the brand name, the model name and the current limits (A) on each of the main voltage rails (+12V, 5V and 3.3V).

Test your system with one memory module installed in the first slot @"Optimized Default" BIOS Settings.  Run Memtest86+ on each of your memory sticks without reducing any frequency values.

Elrinth

• Winki
« Reply #5 on: 24-March-09, 09:17:14 »

Well seems one fan screw had issue in the [screw]thread and didn't quite sit as it should've, and I never successfully got it to sit good. When I put the whole thing together I managed to scrape the motherboard with the graphicscard because my chassi pci-slot holder is bad.. It's really really difficult to get in the pci-slot cards. So now when I boot up the comp, I don't get any display signal at all. (I see fan on gfx card going tho) I could probably solder the lines together, but since they are so thin it's really difficult.

OH well, I ordered new motherboard (MSI P43 was really cheap) and processorfan (this time zalman 7000 instead of garbage golden orb ii which had screw thread broken!). I'll try to solder the lines, but first I need to find the thinnest solder.

So for Silver stone chassi... Remove their plastic pci-card holder.. It's garbage 1. For most pci-cards it won't plug in correctly, so it's loose no matter what you do 2. It's so tight you actually have to bend in your pci cards and if you're lucky you won't touch the mobo, if you're unlucky, you'll scrape it and destroy it.
« Last Edit: 24-March-09, 09:21:48 by Elrinth »
Pages: [1]   Go Up