Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finaly!! AVG Antivirus for Windows 64 bit!  (Read 6492 times)

Ex Forum User 3Topic starter

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY

Hi guy's,

I just discovered that the best free Virus-scanner for private users does support 64bit Windows now....
This is great news.
You can download the free version here:

>>AVG Free Edition<<

Beware, only the paid version supports 64bit, but hey, you can try the free version in 32bit Windows and plain see if you like it.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
Re: Finaly!! AVG Antivirus for Windows 64 bit!
« Reply #1 on: 17-December-05, 05:50:10 »

:hypocrite:

Avast 4.0 Home is free and has fully supported WinXP x64 since it was in Beta!

having used both, i think Avast just edges it over AVG (IMHO) ;-))

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #2 on: 17-December-05, 10:41:38 »

Incredible Stu that you even use that one.....

I know from experiance that Avast isn't very good at all.

1. It doesn't detect much virusses
2. It does take a hughe amount of system resources, even Norton isn't that bad compared to it.

I will never ever install that on my machine or even recommend it to anyone.
In all the tests I have done when it comes to Virus, AVG finds the most with very little resources.

Glenn

• GENERAL
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 17-December-05, 21:57:54 »

2. It does take a hughe amount of system resources, even Norton isn't that bad compared to it.

In all the tests I have done when it comes to Virus, AVG finds the most with very little resources.

Bahh..I've been using it for several months..granted it does take more resources as far as memory, but it does so much more than AVG, and it's been able to stop and fix problems AVG couldn't... I like it better than AVG so... Neener Neener X-((  And I can't see how you'd compare it to Norton, and I'm not so excited about XP 64...what a waste that was/is and ever will be...

However..Avast just won an award..so now it's going to become a bigger target.. too bad.
msi P55-GD65
i7-860 Lynnfield
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4x2) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Cooler
Diamond Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 Ruby Edition
Acer X203w 20" LCD
Samsung LN-T3253H 32" LCD HDTV
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V-Series
WDC Blue WD5000AAKS-22A7B2 500GB
Sony DRU710A DVDRW
Logitech Z-5500's
Creative Audigy2 ZS
Antec 300 Case
PCP&C Silencer 500 EPS12V PSU
Windows 7 (64bit)

jebs

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 22-August-06, 09:05:35 »

OT:

Have anyone here tried NOD32 Antivirus? IMHO, it is one of the best antivirus softwares in the market today. I observed my systems became more stable and faster. It's not free though, but you could try their 30 day trial period. ;-))

I was using Mcafee before but changed it to NOD32. It can detect viruses - worms, spywares and fix problems Mcafee couldn't.
 :agrees:
MSI PE Neo2 HT,Intel Pentium4 2.8Ghz HT
RAM:512MB+512MB, HDD:W.Digital 320GB SATA, Maxtor 80GB, W.Digital 80GB installed, External:W.D. 80GB. - Drives:LG CD-ROM,LG CDReWriter/DVD-ROM/combo installed. External:ASUS Double Layer DVD Writer - Graphic Card:nVidia GeForce FX 256MB.
Monitors:
Primary:SAMSUNG  17"SyncMaster793DF
Secondary:SONY Bravia 32" Wide Screen LCD

2nd PC
Born: Christmas Day 2006 (-;

GIGABYTE GA945PL-S3
Intel Dual Core 3.4Ghz
RAM: 1GB + 1GB
SATA 160GB + 160GB + 320GB
Graphic Card: NVidia GeForce 7300 GS 512MB
Disk Drive: Samsung Super Write Master 18X18
Sound Card:Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Audigy
Speakers:Creative Inspire 5.1
TV Tuner: MSI TV@nywhere Plus V 1.0  (analog)
Power Supply: 500 Watts

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #5 on: 22-August-06, 10:22:05 »

Jebs, they're talking about FREE AVs. Nod32 is not free.

I'm beginning to doubt AVG and loose confidence in this program.  After the latest update, the scheduled test ran a few days later and in the morning I found it had stopped at 47,000 files, took 14 minutes, and stated it was complete.  Huh!? This was waayyyyyyy to small a number of files and way too short a time.  According to the AVG forums, the engine was changed a bit and AVG now could scan within archives that it couldn't prior to this update. Anyway, it had an issue with WinZip and the way the Winzip itself was archived. Also, supposedly, if it encounters a corrupted file, the program will stop instead of creating a possible buffer overrun scenerio, yet state complete.  This does not give me confidence in the program. If it stated that it encountered a corrupted program and halted the scan that would be good. If it identified the specific program that it encountered even better, but just stating it as complete has left my confidence in the program very shaken.  I uninstalled Winzip and removed the downloaded installation files from my machine(transferred to a USB drive). It could now scan more files.  A few days later and some updates, it seems now AVG can handle Winzip. I was able to do a complete scan and a report of a far greater number of files. Some more days follow as well as an update or two--the scheduled scan starts and in the morning, once again, too few files are scanned.  One of the recommendations is to scan each folder manually to find the culprit.  It would take all day if not days to do that on my machine! If I turn off scan all files and use scan all infectable files, it seems to do a "complete" scan and report more files. But, how do I really know?  Personally, I would want my AV to scan all files.

AVG has also reported, a few times, I had a virus and these have ALL been false positives. I had the files scanned by a few AV products and after an update or two, AVG would then not report that they were viruses, torjans, or worms any longer. I'm seriously considering Avast!, but I wish the free product could be scheduled. Also, some reports I've read haven't been stellar for Avast! or AVG.  I'm starting to think I need to find another and may have to purchase an AV.  I wish I could purchase a single-user license of Norton Corporate. I won't use Norton's AV for home users. But, if I'm going to buy one, I'd really only want one that was not a system hog and that was an excellent product.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 22-August-06, 16:18:03 »

please, this thread is not really a discussion of pros and cons of various AV programs
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

BG84

« Reply #7 on: 02-September-06, 11:28:34 »

OT:

Have anyone here tried NOD32 Antivirus? IMHO, it is one of the best antivirus softwares in the market today. I observed my systems became more stable and faster. It's not free though, but you could try their 30 day trial period. ;-))

I was using Mcafee before but changed it to NOD32. It can detect viruses - worms, spywares and fix problems Mcafee couldn't.
 :agrees:

nod32 is the best anti-virus in the whole universe, there no doubt. never had a virus with it, fast, reliable, not using a lot of ressources. just the best.
to be honnest, i never pay for an antivirus. for nod32 i did pay, just for respect for the guys that made this great job. its bit more expensive, but well worth it for 50$ ca.

iosoft

« Reply #8 on: 06-September-06, 09:46:04 »

I have used both AVG FREE and AVAST. To me AVAST is better than AVG.

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #9 on: 06-September-06, 14:10:16 »

I'm not trying to put down an AV, and I have been a fan and proponent of AVG, but, in the latest update to AVG, the engine, it has created some issues. It now has the ability to go deeper into archives, or into them better than before, but if it encounters a corrupted file or, I have found, an archiving it can't handle, the program will abort it's scan.  This in itself is not the big issue, but there is an important issue. AVG will report that the scan was complete and your system, if it didn't encounter an virus prior to the problem file, has no virus.  Unless you are aware of the discrepancy, you will believe that your whole system was scanned! This all started around August 11th or so and still is not resolved.  I've gone to another AV (didn't want to) since I was not comfortable or confident with AVG while this problem existed. 

I hope AVG fixes this issue soon. I always liked AVG.  I am providing this for informational purposes only to make sure people are informed.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #10 on: 08-September-06, 16:44:04 »

I still use AVG and like it a lot.....

However, people, this topic isn't about better or worse virus scanners....
Please stop doing that or I lock the topic!

I have never had a problem with it.....have you tried to reinstall it?
BTW, I use it together with Winrar, maybe that's the case I have no problems?

areamike

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 08-December-11, 10:04:26 »

:hypocrite:

Avast 4.0 Home is free and has fully supported WinXP x64 since it was in Beta!

having used both, i think Avast just edges it over AVG (IMHO) ;-))

please, this thread is not really a discussion of pros and cons of various AV programs

LOL! You started it....hehe.  :bonk:

I will say that while I agree that most free AV programs are pretty good and a good alternative to paying for some crap proprietary AV like McAfee or Norton, it all comes down to personal preference.

Time to lock I guess?  :rolleyes_anim:
MSI 970A-G45 | AMD Phenom II X4 955BE | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB PC12800 | XFX Radeon HD 6870 | OCZ 120GB SOLID 3 SERIES SATA III HD | WD 500GB Green HDD | Sony DVDRW 24x | BFG 550W PSU | Windows7 x64

msummers

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
  • Freedom is not Free
« Reply #12 on: 27-January-12, 04:35:04 »

I have been using AVG Anti-Virus for years and recently went a full year using AVG Internet Secutiry, but I would also state that for Malware related issues I use Malwarebytes in addition to my AntiVirus software for better protection. My Dad's laptop was infected with a virus which disabled his networking while avast was installed (Failure for Avast) Malwarebytes was used to remove the problem :)
MSI S6000-017US with the following: OS is Windows 7 x64bit; a)Intel Core i5 2.4GHz, b) Intel HD GMA (Core i5), c)8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333, d) MultiFormat DVD Drive, e) 750GB Travelstar HDD, f) Realtek HD Audio, g) Card Reader (SD/SDHC/MMC), h) 802.11n, i)MultiFunction Touchpad, j)1.3MP Webcam
Pages: [1]   Go Up