Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Motherboard Schematics/Service Manuals?  (Read 5614 times)

lammphil

• Neo
MSI Motherboard Schematics/Service Manuals?
« on: 09-June-09, 14:21:11 »

Hello All,

I have a K8N Diamond Plus that I absolutely love, but which has recently stopped POSTing (4 LEDs of the D-bracket remain red -- I've narrowed it down to discrete component on the board someplace).  The board is beyond warrantee, and so I would be very interested in getting my hands on the schematics and/or service manual to diagnose the issue.  Can anyone point me to a source?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

anDrasch

• Platinum
  • oops!!
    • www.msi-forum.de
Re: MSI Motherboard Schematics/Service Manuals?
« Reply #1 on: 09-June-09, 14:42:19 »

Do you read the manual ? --> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=232

Four red Diagnostic LEDs could be :
- Processor is defective or not properly installed
- BIOS chip is defective or not properly installed
- CMOS battery defective or empty
- Mainboard / Chipset defective
- Mainboard gets no power from the power-good signal.
This display is also used in elementary mistakes, such as a faulty or inadequate power supply.

I beg your pardon! I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.

lammphil

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 09-June-09, 15:56:02 »

Did you read my post?  I'm looking for a schematic &/or service manual for the K8N Diamond Plus, not a regurgitation of what the four LEDs mean.  Thanks!

anDrasch

• Platinum
  • oops!!
    • www.msi-forum.de
« Reply #3 on: 09-June-09, 16:12:27 »

Apologize that I wanted to help, it will not happen again. Good luck! :nono:

I beg your pardon! I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #4 on: 09-June-09, 16:32:07 »

Forget about getting schematics, MSI will never hand them over.

If you know what component is broken, then I can ask the value, that is not a problem.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #5 on: 09-June-09, 17:25:22 »

Like andrasch said, four reds mostly imply the processor has a problem: Overheating - check the dust situation, damaged - try in another system, or - what I think - underpowered. You use the word recently. That implies either a wear and tear thing, or an adding to the system.

lammphil

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 09-June-09, 17:48:06 »

No surprise MSI is unwilling to let go a schematic, I guess.  I'm sure such documentation would fall under MSI "trade secrets" -- can't let any proprietary info out lest they risk losing their competitive advantage. 
Service manuals, however, can be written to hide sensitive information.  There's even a connector (JLPC1) which I suspect is used to help diagnose hardware problems.  *Any* info that MSI would be willing to offer to help me debug this would be useful!

The POST failure is a recent development.  It began intermittently, and became more frequent over time, until finally it wouldn't start at all.  But every time the BIOS managed to initialize, the board ran beautifully in every case.  I've ruled out all but the K8N Diamond Plus itself (via swaps with redundant components on other operating boards), and the fact it runs great once initialized tells me the problem is related to the BIOS.  This problem "feels" like a pull-down, trigger or broken trace someplace.  And I've already used contact cleaner to hopefully ferret out any dust bunnies causing shorts.

I've asked MSI whether they would still service this board out of warrantee.  So far no response.  In the interim, if someone with MB hardware development experience can even throw out a common/probable failure for these boards that causes what I'd described (4 red LEDs), that would be a good start.

I appreciate the offer for parts.  If I manage to identify which one is the problem (w/o a schematic *sigh*), I'll definitely take you up on it!

Thanks, Phil

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #7 on: 09-June-09, 18:52:52 »

Phil,

You have to goto Taiwan to have it tested with MB-engineers.
They are the only ones that have all documentation en testing facilities.
I visit MSI EU from time to time and if a problem is that deep it will be shipped to Taiwan to be repaired.

Personally, I think you better try to find a second hand motherboard, as I think you never find the problem.
There are many signals involved.

BTW, not initializing is often the CPU and memory combination, I trust you have tried 1 stick of el-cheapo memory with this system?
Because the BIOS can't initialize before the CPU has started, but the CPU can only start if the memory can be initialized by the CPU.
Ergo, if your memory needs something special, big chance it will fail before the BIOS can do anything.

Why don't you tell us the setup of the system and what you have done so far?
Pages: [1]   Go Up