Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing bios update unlocker/boot virus protection option  (Read 3090 times)

limit8

• Neo

This is my initial post.

I am slowly building a new system with the initial specs below.

I was given a link by MSI tech to their ftp site to test if their bios update can help correct a windows problem of not detecting both cores properly. I used the recommended file and feedback that it did not resolve the issue. After 2 days, a few posts and still no replies, I figure that the ftp link which got over 7 different bioses for this board can help my situation.

My problem now is just this morning I tried version A7267IMS.340 bios from the site. It turns out that the updated bios file rearranged the menu and does not have an option to disable boot virus protection or unlock bios update. I got the original bios saved on file but I am unable to flash it back. I did some research and AMI bios got a way of recovery, which I attempted but failed to accomplish.

When I reflash using the recommended MSI-supplied tool, the error message is flash type is not recognized. According to one site, this is normally due to the (anti virus) bios update lock which can be disabled by BIOS or by jumpers, that MSI failed to feature on this particular bios.

What do I do now? I tried to install windows OS but it hangs or BSOD after rebooting to finish installation. I feel it might be best to trade my e8200 for an older processor to avoid the same issue, but my new bios seems inappropriate and I like the stock bios better. The problem bios resembles a laptop's menu with speed-step settings.

Is it possible to flash back the original bios file if the update lock is enabled? I have tried setting AMI command switches but the same error message appears.

945GCM5 F V2 (fsb 1333); Core2duo E8200; 2x2GB Micron Tech DDR2 PC667;
IGP Intel Video;500Gb Samsung SATA Hard Drive;40gb Maxtor IDE;
LG 22x IDE DVD-RW IDE drive; 1gb flash disk; PSU AcBel 560 510watts. Windows Vista

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
Re: Missing bios update unlocker/boot virus protection option
« Reply #1 on: 17-June-09, 18:40:57 »

Provide full details what exactly you have done and what you are trying to do.

945GCM5 F V2 (fsb 1333);
My problem now is just this morning I tried version A7267IMS.340 bios from the site.

This BIOS is NOT for your mainboard. You flashed your board with the wrong BIOS
What was your original BIOS version?

Correct BIOS version should be H.90 {BIOS versions 17.xx}

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #2 on: 17-June-09, 19:43:26 »

I was given a link by MSI tech to their ftp site to test if their bios update can help correct a windows problem of not detecting both cores properly. I used the recommended file and feedback that it did not resolve the issue. After 2 days, a few posts and still no replies,  I figure that the ftp link which got over 7 different bioses for this board can help my situation.

You can use only this BIOS{marked with green} H.A1{aka 17.10B1} from there:

All others are NOT for your board.

My problem now is just this morning I tried version A7267IMS.340 bios from the site.
When I reflash using the recommended MSI-supplied tool, the error message is flash type is not recognized

:nono: This is the WRONG BIOS too!
Correct BIOS versions for your board are 17.xx /* A7267IMS.H90 */ and you can find it from MSI web here:
http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1599

Now flash to correct BIOS and STOP flashing your BIOS, refer to  >>> Are you a moron BIOS flasher :confused2: Y/N <<< ,
then read >>Posting Guide<< and tell us more about your issue

limit8

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 17-June-09, 23:49:57 »

Thank you for responding.

I figure that it was a wrong bios.... but my problem is how to flash it back to the backup file I got. I did flash the particular file with the HAI suffix 3 days ago but it failed to correct the one-core only reporting/disabled core in windows.

I had been awaiting for technical service to supervise on what to do next. I had to post the same issue twice but got no response from MSI technical service. The board was flashed without errors and the index set of bios was for the 7267 (printed on my board). Referring to the ftp page picture that Svet posted, there is a doc file (which I read) that cautions about the process of flashing but no specific warnings or descriptions of the file mix.

I feel that my annoying experience could have been avoided. It should managed and not be allowed to replicate since it corrodes the brand name, goodwill and trust of consumers.

Now flash to correct BIOS and STOP flashing your BIOS, refer to  >>> Are you a moron BIOS flasher confused2 Y/N <<< ,
then read >>Posting Guide<< and tell us more about your issue
Yup, I guess my technical experience is very limited and trying hard to cope with the expert data available here. If there is an appropriate bios for my E8200 processor to install correctly, then I would not even be bothering MSI nor forced to share my grief with other users.

LG 22x IDE DVD-RW IDE drive; 1gb flash disk; PSU AcBel 560 510watts. Windows Vista

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #4 on: 18-June-09, 00:33:35 »

I figure that it was a wrong bios.... but my problem is how to flash it back to the backup file I got. I did flash the particular file with the HAI suffix 3 days ago but it failed to correct the one-core only reporting/disabled core in windows.

Re-download the BIOS{A7267IMS.HA1} again and flash to the same BIOS.

I did flash the particular file with the HAI suffix 3 days ago but it failed to correct the one-core only reporting/disabled core in windows.

That's not a reason to start flashing your mainboard with the wrong BIOSes...
Also probably your problem is not BIOS related.

but it failed to correct the one-core only reporting/disabled core in windows.

What OS you are running? What's the problem?

banger696

• Afterburner
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
« Reply #5 on: 18-June-09, 04:10:21 »

This is more likely a Windows Problem not BIOS.
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz Wolfdale
MSI P35 Neo F BIOS V1.A0
4x AENEON 1Gb DDR2
MSI Geforce 9500GT 1gb PCI-E
2x Seagate 80gb ATA100
Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition SP3
Hiper 530W PSU 12v1 18A 12v2 18A 5v 34A 3v3 28A
Thermaltake Tsunami Case (Silver)

limit8

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 18-June-09, 04:24:18 »

Re-download the BIOS{A7267IMS.HA1} again and flash to the same BIOS.

Thank you Svet, I appreciate your taking time out for this. I would do your instructions later today. I hope that it corrects the problem and settle this issue once and for all. The loaded bios does not have a  way to switch off bios protection. I did reflash the backup... but maybe the bios and the program are paired together and I may need a fresh set of download.

That's not a reason to start flashing your mainboard with the wrong BIOSes...
Also probably your problem is not BIOS related.
Yup. The unresponsive tech support and the open link to that set of bios kept me guessing. I figure that there are several bios available for this particular late model board and never thought that only one is going to work. Besides, the only way I managed to access the ftp site was due to MSI tech support. I wish had not but then again, if it worked then I'll be satisfied.

What OS you are running? What's the problem? Vista (without SP) I am just starting a new build. Only one core is detected. I discovered  after checking administration event viewer under WARNING that the OS has disabled some ACPI features of the processor due to a "KNOWN" issue and that I need to contact the system board manufacturer for a firmware update. This is the reason why the tech support gave me a different bios, not available openly and you need to log on to access it.

« Last Edit: 18-June-09, 04:26:07 by limit8 »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #7 on: 18-June-09, 04:43:10 »

Does the BIOS count 2 cores during BIOS post screen?
Update Vista to SP2 and re-check.

limit8

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 18-June-09, 06:12:11 »

Does the BIOS count 2 cores during BIOS post screen?
Update Vista to SP2 and re-check.

Only the name Core2duo is posted, but there is no indication that 2 cores active. And it did not have a bios switch to disable one core.

I got Win7 test RC (free MS download) installed last weekend on the SATA HDD and it got the same issue.  I had to tinker with the default settings and disable IOAPIC, before I can install windows successfully.

I did some tweaking of the BSD too to make it detect 2 cores but unfortunately, the standard ACPI does not change and only one core in device manager is installed. The task manager graph shows only one core is working. The warning message from the administrative event log shows that it was necessary to alter the firmware.

Sorry... I would try to flash in a few hours since the item is not here with me.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #9 on: 18-June-09, 13:55:58 »

I did some tweaking of the BSD too to make it detect 2 cores but unfortunately, the standard ACPI does not change and only one core in device manager is installed. The task manager graph shows only one core is working. The warning message from the administrative event log shows that it was necessary to alter the firmware.

Enter in BIOS then 'Load BIOS Optimized Defaults", "SAVE AND EXIT". Then do a new fresh OS installation.

limit8

• Neo
« Reply #10 on: 18-June-09, 16:03:09 »

Enter in BIOS then 'Load BIOS Optimized Defaults", "SAVE AND EXIT". Then do a new fresh OS installation.
I have done that . This particular bios fails to load windows and ends with BSOD.

Prior to this test, flash updating failed with fresh copies of the bios+flasher. A forced AMI update procedure (Ctrl + home keys pressed on reboot) also failed to load the HAI bios, although the lights cycled a few times for over 10mins.  The processor is not identified properly, no L2 cache is detected and the ddr speed options are not for ddr2 timings on this bios.

Perhaps the chip flash memory is no longer working? But it still boots and is still okay with DOS. I would have to change my signature after this.....
I regret not using this user-based resource forum before trying to contact MSI online technical assistance.

« Last Edit: 18-June-09, 16:05:07 by limit8 »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #11 on: 18-June-09, 16:07:23 »

Prior to this test, flash updating failed with fresh copies of the bios+flasher. A forced AMI update procedure (Ctrl + home keys pressed on reboot) also failed to load the HAI bios, although the lights cycled a few times for over 10mins.  The processor is not identified properly, no L2 cache is detected and the ddr speed options are not for ddr2 timings on this bios.

Sent mainboard back to reseller to get fixed, due your crossflashing saga you can't reflash again..

limit8

• Neo
« Reply #12 on: 22-July-09, 16:58:24 »

:yes:

I got a new board unit of the same model with a newly fixed (dated July '09) bios. No more installation issues so far.

To be fair to MSI, the replacement was available after a week and the technician even gave his cell number in case I need help. I also got an email to inform me that worldwide MSI engineers are currently having some official activity merging with the online user forum.

I noticed that the board revision changed and the caps that used to be polymer kind that surrounded the processor is now liquid type. I just hope this version is durable and better than the one I had problems with. I refuse to prejudge that the cap change would affect lifespan or performance since the industry-wide leaking cap issue, traced to incorrect fluid formula, should have been resolved by now.

Thanks to those who offered their advise.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #13 on: 22-July-09, 17:51:50 »

Cool, next time be more carefull when pickup the BIOS file and ensure that's correct one for your board
Pages: [1]   Go Up