Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin Frozr OC 275GTX fan noise and temperature  (Read 2801 times)

wyvernshill

• Neo
Twin Frozr OC 275GTX fan noise and temperature
« on: 21-August-09, 18:13:05 »

lo everyone,

I previously owned a msi 8800GT Zilent and now with my new system i switched to an msi Twin frozr OC 275 GTX.

With all the reviews telling me it is so quiet you can barely hear it and the temperature being far lower than a normal 275GTX i was sure i did the right thing.

Now here is my problem.

I had the zilent 8800GT in my new system first and it stayed with furmark deadsilent and got to a temperature of not more than 71 degrees celcius.
Now I am stressing the Msi twin frozr 275 OC card just to see if it, just like my 8800GT, stayed quiet under stress and cool, but it is not ...
I am using furmark to test it for stability and with furmark my temperatures go from 50 idle straight up to a maximum now of 82 degrees celcius.
The fans are running at 100% speed now cos it sounds like an airplane taking off, well lets just say like a fan right next to you blowing straight at you.

My CPU isnt even stressed and already the card runs at 80 degrees celcius. I'm afraid it will be even higher when i will stress the cpu a bit.

Now : is this normal ? i mean are there others who can confirm that this is either normal or that it should run much cooler and with almost no noise ?

The case i use : Antec P183 with one cooler at the back (to pull the air of the cpu out, the cooler on the cpu is a scythe mugen 2 witch blows the air to the back fan) and one on top. they both run at the lowest setting to avoid making much noise.

I have to admit that i tried playing crysis at the highest setting for 15 minutes and that the card didnt go over 76 degrees with minimal fan noise.

Btw, i used realtemp to measure my temperatures.

This is my complete system :

Case : Antec P183
Mobo : Asus P6T
HDD : 2X Samsung 1TB (in lower closed off compartiment together with a fan and the powersupply.)
Power : Antec truepower 750 New (in the closed off lower compartiment)
CPU : Intel I7 920 @ stock speed (2,67)
Memory : 6 GB Corsair twinX 1600
Sound : X-FI fatality with media bay
DVD : Optiarc 7200S

anDrasch

• Platinum
  • oops!!
    • www.msi-forum.de
Re: Twin Frozr OC 275GTX fan noise and temperature
« Reply #1 on: 21-August-09, 19:11:56 »

I dont know what you mean. :think:

You run a Stress Test and you wondering why the fans running noisy?

My N275GTX Twin Frozr OC runs idle at 25% Fanspeed, temperature is 43°C and is barely to hear.

When i run a Stress test with FurMark Temperature rise to 75°C and the Fans adapt speed to hold that Temperature.
Then the card is louder, but not " like a airplain" :rolleyes_anim:

i would say this is normal behaviour of your VGA card.

I beg your pardon! I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.

wyvernshill

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 21-August-09, 19:29:45 »

Well, it's just that my old 8800GT zilent with the same benchmark isnt even making half the noise this card is when stressed.

So i expected the same thing with this card but it isn't.

But these temperatures and noise are perfectly normal for this card (msi twin frozr OC 275GTX) then ?

anDrasch

• Platinum
  • oops!!
    • www.msi-forum.de
« Reply #3 on: 21-August-09, 20:04:51 »

This VGA card is more potent as the 8800GT and has two Fans and you realy expect the same thing? :think:

I would say that this temperatures are normal for this card. They could optimized by better airflow or changing the thermal compound.
I contented with the N275GTX, the heatsink with dual Fan Design is very effective, but when you not it´s your choice to use one other.
When you will use a high end VGA Card with silence you should think about watercooling.

I beg your pardon! I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #4 on: 22-August-09, 01:06:53 »

Same thing with my N250GTS, light and medium loads it's pretty quiet but Furmark and other very heavy load, f@h for instance it's fairly loud screaming like mini turbine engine when fan is at 100%. Mine has a similar cooler but with a larger single fan in the center instead of the dual fan like yours. Similar temps encountered also so I would say yours is about normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up