Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45D3 Platinum: BIOS can not be loaded  (Read 2436 times)

BigRega

• Neo
P45D3 Platinum: BIOS can not be loaded
« on: 10-September-09, 10:27:21 »

Gentlemen,

I bought brend new PC components detailed below.
After I assembled the PC I checked the BIOS setup and left it as was.
Then I organized my disks with the Partition Manager software started from the Hiren's CD.
Already during that the system frozen one time.
Then I installed the Win XP Pro with SP2 and the MSI drivers from the MSI CD without problems.
As I do not have floppy drive attached to the PC I initiated the Live Update with Windows.
(I thought it is working properly like at the HP, IBM and Lenovo)
The first update (BIOS) got sucked and moreover the whole system frozen: no mouse activity.
So I restarted the PC but it did not loaded the BIOS. The D-LEDs show the followind status:
LED12: red   LED13: n/a
LED8 : red   LED7  : n/a
LED14: n/a   LED10: green
LED15: n/a   LED11: green

If I understand well this means that the BIOS can not be loaded into the memory. (?)
Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem?
Thank you in advance.

My config:
MSI P45D3 Platinum (MS-7513)
Intel Core 2 Duo 3 GHz (E-8400)
GeIL Ultra PC3 10660 DDR3 1333 MHz
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD (ATI)4870 Vapor-X - 1 GB DDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0
Thermaltake CL-P0401D Volcano V1
WD 40 GB 5600rpm; Samsung 400 GB 7200rpm; Samsung 520 GB 7200rpm
LG DVD writer
Cooler Master Real Power M520 520W Modular
Cooler Master HAF 922 (RC-922M)

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
Re: P45D3 Platinum: BIOS can not be loaded
« Reply #1 on: 10-September-09, 11:12:43 »

Hello,

First of all and as advice for future BIOS Updates:  Always try to avoid BIOS Updates from a Windows based environment because there is other BIOS Update Method that comes with a bigger load of potential flash risk (each driver, each background service, each background application, AV software, anti-spam checkers etc. can interfere with the update procedure and cause a system crash).  It does not matter on what kind of the system (HP, LENOVO, IBM, ASUS, EVGA...) you want to update a BIOS.  The principal risk is always the same.

Next time you want to update a BIOS on an MSI Board, please >>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<.  It will help you to prepare an USB Flash Drive for a safe BIOS Flash from a pure DOS Environment (which is the safest way to update a BIOS (this true for any kind of system).

As I do not have floppy drive attached to the PC

Even if you had one, that would not have helped you.  The BIOS has a size of 4MB and that is why the BIOS-File will not fit on a floppy disk.
--------------------------

Okay, now let's look at your problem:

The first update (BIOS) got sucked and moreover the whole system frozen: no mouse activity.

MSI Live Update uses the standard AMI Windows Flashing Utility for its BIOS Update.  This tool is usually executed in silent mode when it is used by MSI Live Update, so you don't really get to see it.  To make sure that there is no user interference during the update procedure, the AMI Windows Flashing Utility basically shuts down mouse and keyboard while it erases the original BIOS from the BIOS Chip and reprograms the new one.  That usually why the system appears to be freezing.  As the BIOS File has a size of 4MB, it can take more than a minute until the flashing procedure is over (erasing chip, erasing NVRAM, writing 4MB to the chip, verifying the 4MB of data, erasing boot block, rewriting boot block).  Only when this whole procedure is finished will the flashing utility give mouse and keyboard control back to the user.

I don't know how long you waited until you restarted your system, but if you did that while the BIOS Flash Procedure was still running, the cause of your current situation may very well have been your restart of the system.  Which means that currently there is no working BIOS on the BIOS Chip (either half erased, or half written).

Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Which BIOS Version did you use before you attempted a BIOS Update?

BigRega

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 10-September-09, 13:01:26 »

First of all thanks to you for dealing with this problem.

I understand that the BIOS is a very low level program and its update requires a special attention. But I must be a very lucky guy who ran Windows based BIOS updates several time even on servers too. I rather think that those update softwares were developed perfectly. That was what I expected at the MSI as well but it made me disappointed. Anyway I believe the current problem can be solved anyhow.

Well, I have to confess I did not check the previous version of the BIOS: It was the original what came with the motherboard. I faced a system problem during the disks organization and I would like to eliminate that. The first thing was to check if any BIOS update is available. The Live Update found a newer so I initiated the update.

Is it important to know the version to recover the BIOS?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
« Reply #3 on: 10-September-09, 13:16:54 »

But I must be a very lucky guy who ran Windows based BIOS updates several time even on servers too.

You are looking at it the wrong way.  I do Windows based updates, too, because I am sometimes lazy.  From the last 30 BIOS Flashes I performed using this method, two resulted in a corrupt BIOS. That is a 6% failure rate.  From the ~100 flashes I did from pure DOS, I only had a single bad flash.  The failure rate (the basic risk is ALWAYS there) is 1% here.  That is what I am talking about, when I say, Windows Updates are more risky (and everybody with a long-enough history of BIOS Flashes will tell you the same.

. I rather think that those update softwares were developed perfectly.

Even if that is true, do you really believe that Windows as an operating system with all its services, background applications, third-party drivers etc. is perfect as well?  The problem is usually not the flashing utitlity, but some part of Windows that decides to interfere with the procedure.

That was what I expected at the MSI as well but it made me disappointed.

Again,  MSI Live Update utilized the official AMI BIOS Flashing Application for Windows (which is the standard tool for every AMI BIOS Update, on any board).  Basically, there is no other choice to update the BIOS from Windows in the first place (board & manufacturer are unimportant here, as the procedure is always the same).

And, as I said before, if you restarted the system before the BIOS Flash was over, it was actually not the flasher that caused the problem, but the decision to restart the system itself.

-------------------

Is it important to know the version to recover the BIOS?

Yes, it can be of importance.  If you don't remember the original version, please have a look at the BIOS Chip of the board.  It is located between the two PCI-Express x 16 slots (right in the middle), near the heatpipe.  There should be a pin-header labeled "JSPI1" right next to it.  On the chip is sticker that will tell you which BIOS Version was put on the board when it left the factory.  It should say something like "A7513 IMS ? ? ?".  Instead of the question marks, you should find a three-digit number which indicates the BIOS Version.

The Live Update found a newer so I initiated the update.

BigRega

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 10-September-09, 13:37:00 »

OK, you are right and the point is yours.

I will check that sticker in the late afternoon when I get home.

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
« Reply #5 on: 10-September-09, 13:59:49 »

I will check that sticker in the late afternoon when I get home.

Okay, do that.  Once you know the version, download the BIOS Archive that contains exactly that version from the MSI Product site for your board and extract the BIOS File from it (A7513IMS.xyz). 

There are two recovery attempts that you can try (they only have a chance to work, if the BIOS Boot Block is still intact (and currently, we do not really know if it is, so you have to test):

For both methods, please use one stick of RAM only, unplug all hard drives and optical drives you don't need, use a PS/2 Keyboard and Clear CMOS with your PSU disconnected from A/C power power.

Method I (this works perfectly on my P45 Platinum, so it is worth to try it on you board as well):

- rename the BIOS File to AMIBOOT.ROM and burn it to a CD
- hook up an optical SATA Drive to one of the Intel ICH10R SATA Ports of your, insert the prepared CD and press CTRL + Home continously right after starting the system on your PS/2 keyboard (hit it a couple of times to make sure the Boot Block Routines process the command at the right time to jump to the Recovery Routine
- if you are lucky, a Recovery Flash will be initiated

Method II (never tried it before, so please try all variations)

- keep all hard drives and optical drives disconnected, use a PS/2 keyboard
- copy AMIBOOT.ROM to the root folder of an USB Flash Drive (FAT/FAT32 file system)
- plug the flash drive into one of the back panel USB Ports
- hit CTRL + Home on the PS/2 keyboard after start-up and check if there is access to the USB Flash Drive (best to use one with an LED indicator)
- if there is accesss to the USB Flash drive, but nothing seems to happen, try the original BIOS File (don't rename it) and see if that changes anything
- in case there is no change, but still access to the USB Flash Drive, try to rename the file to A7513IMS.ROM and see if that works

-------------------

If none of this works for you, there is reason to believe, that the Recovery Routine was corrupted during the failed BIOS Update.  In that case, you will need to contact your reseller.

BigRega

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 10-September-09, 14:52:24 »

Thank you for the solutions, I will try them as you recommended.
I will inform you about the results tomorrow.

By the way: what can I expect at the reseller if non of the solutions work?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
« Reply #7 on: 10-September-09, 14:55:37 »

If the reseller has an SPI/Eeprom Programmer, he can reprogram the chip via the Board's SPI Pin header.  He could also solder out the BIOS Chip and reprogram it externally or put in a new chip altogether.  In case the reseller can't do any of that for you, this looks like an RMA case (MSI can do any of the things I just mentioned to fix the board).

BigRega

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 10-September-09, 20:17:35 »

Hi Jack,

I checked and found the small green sticker on a (BIOS?) chip. It shows A7513 IMS120. So it must be ver. 1.2.
I downloaded the BIOS update package, extracted the BIOS file.

Unfortunately I do not have other CD/DVD writer what is neccessary to have for the Method I.
Therefore I started the Method II.

I made 2 copies from the BIOS file and rename them to AMIBOOT.ROM and A7513IMS.ROM.
I copied both of the files to the root of a pendrive and connect it to the USB port on the back panel.
I made a CMOS clear and started the PC. Then I pressed 2-3 times the Ctrl+Home keys.
After about 4-5 seconds the system called the pendrive when its led was blinking.
When 30-40 seconds passed the D-Leds status begun to change and went through the regular sequence.
At the finish the PC was restarted automatically.
The next boot was the same as the first start of the mainboard.

So the Method II works!  :grin:

Thank you very much for your kind and professional support. I very appreciate it.  :worship:

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
« Reply #9 on: 10-September-09, 22:38:45 »

:biggthumbsup: :hat tip:
Pages: [1]   Go Up