Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Board does not POST after M-Flash-Update (785GTM-E45)  (Read 5564 times)

Tekka

• Neo
Board does not POST after M-Flash-Update (785GTM-E45)
« on: 29-September-09, 22:54:04 »

Hi, I'm having a ton of problems with this board and was wondering if you guys can help me. I tried overclocking this board with the onboard switches but it would not allow me to overclock AND run my DDR2 ram at 1066mhz ganged mode even with the correct dram voltage.

I looked up the problem which brought me here and found the new bios update but i had a huge problem successfully updating it. I downloaded the zip file

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1883

Inside the zip file was the bios image called A7549AMS.800

I booted up into the bios settings and loaded the M-Flash utility but could not find the file on my USB stick. I realized it was looking for a .G00 file extension. I renamed the extension .800 to .G00 and M-Flash found it. I  pressed Enter but it said RomID was wrong so i went back to make sure i downloaded the correct file. Anyways it was the correct file so i proceeded with the flash and it booted into the bios flashing screen and it finished flashing then the screen went all black. I left it like that for a couple of minutes and then restarted the computer but now it wouldnt boot at all just a black screen.

I called newegg and they RMA it for me and a new board should be coming tomorrow. Anyways was this the correct file and procedure or  did i screw something up?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
Re: Board does not POST after M-Flash-Update (785GTM-E45)
« Reply #1 on: 29-September-09, 23:03:02 »

Which BIOS Version did you use before you tried to update the BIOS?

Have you cleared CMOS with the main A/C power cable removed from PSU after the update to see if that changes anything?

Tekka

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 29-September-09, 23:55:03 »

I called msi and they walked me through the cmos clearing and concluded that the bios is now corrupt and that i should return it to newegg for a replacement which I did.  The reason I want to update it was because I want to OC the cpu better. You mentioned in the previous post that the bios update include a CPU Voltage Option which would help with the OCing.

I'm just wondering what was the correct method for flashing the bios was? I mean I think I screwed up by renaming the extension from .800 to .G00 and forcing the update or maybe that file wasnt meant for my motherboard or for it to be flashed in that method. The directions that came with it wasn't very clear and suggested i use a floppy drive which i don't have.

The motherboard should arrive tomorrow in the mail so I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction on how to properly do this

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #3 on: 30-September-09, 00:15:22 »

Next time avoid M-flash and >>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<< instead if BIOS update is really necessary

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #5 on: 30-September-09, 01:23:41 »

Hi, I'm having a ton of problems with this board and was wondering if you guys can help me. I tried overclocking this board with the onboard switches but it would not allow me to overclock AND run my DDR2 ram at 1066mhz ganged mode even with the correct dram voltage.

I looked up the problem which brought me here and found the new bios update but i had a huge problem successfully updating it. I downloaded the zip file

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1883

I booted up into the bios settings and loaded the M-Flash utility but could not find the file on my USB stick. I realized it was looking for a .G00 file extension. I renamed the extension .800 to .G00 and M-Flash found it. I  pressed Enter but it said RomID was wrong so i went back to make sure i downloaded the correct file. Anyways it was the correct file so i proceeded with the flash and it booted into the bios flashing screen and it finished flashing then the screen went all black. I left it like that for a couple of minutes and then restarted the computer but now it wouldnt boot at all just a black screen.

I called newegg and they RMA it for me and a new board should be coming tomorrow. Anyways was this the correct file and procedure or  did i screw something up?

looked up the problem which brought me here and found the new bios update but i had a huge problem successfully updating it. I downloaded the zip file

Think you have done cross flashing.
785GTM-E45, BIOS 8.00 at MSI web http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1883
is not for your board.
There is another version of 785GTM-E45 who use 16.xx. [BIOS for it is N/A at MSI web]
Your mainboard should have ERP-120 ==>  601-7549-120 , using BIOS G.xx check it at mainboard box or over the sticker located over backside of the mainboard.

E.g:

601-7549-160 ==> Using BIOS 8.xx
601-7549-120 ==> Using BIOS 16.xx {Aka G.xx}

Both are 785GTM-E45 (MS-7549) with same PCB 1.0,but with different ERP.
At MSI web is shown only 1st one or BIOS for the 1st one only.

EDIT: With newest info:

The 8.xx is newest version from G.xx , which add CPU Voltage option.
The BIOS 8.00 should works for your board.
So appear to be M-Flash failure.

Here i've attached your old BIOS for your board to perform BIOS recovery ==> http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.msg957352#msg957352
« Last Edit: 30-September-09, 12:44:53 by Svet »

Tekka

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 30-September-09, 16:06:07 »

Just to be clear before I make another attempt. The file A7549AMS.800 located here

is the correct update and that I should use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher tool instead of M-Flash right?

I heard there is a way to boot with a dual Bios like a way to boot the bios off a usb stick instead. Is this possible with this motherboard?

niko3100

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 30-September-09, 16:29:07 »

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum. Last saturday I bougth this motherboard (MSI 785GTM-E45) and I tried to overclock the ati 4200 integrated gpu but I can't. There isn't an option in the BIOS, not even with MSI Dual Core Center, or AMD Overdrive or ATI Tray tools or ATI GPU tools... so I would like to know if this new BIOS version has te option to change the MHZ in GPU. Thanks in advance!!

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #8 on: 30-September-09, 16:33:04 »

@niko3100: Please start your own topic.  Do not hijack this one.  Thank you.

@Tekka:

is the correct update and that I should use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher tool instead of M-Flash right?

Yes.

I heard there is a way to boot with a dual Bios like a way to boot the bios off a usb stick instead. Is this possible with this motherboard?

I am not sure if it will work when you use the first BIOS Release.  The same problem that corrupted your BIOS may cause the system to stall when you tell it to read the BIOS of the USB Flash Drive.  However, a CMOS Clear should solve such a problem easily in this case.  You can try, just look in the M-FLash section of the BIOS Setup and choose the desired mode.  It is all pretty self-explanatory.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #9 on: 18-November-09, 10:18:03 »

Just to be clear before I make another attempt. The file A7549AMS.800 located here

Yes!

Think you have done cross flashing.
785GTM-E45, BIOS 8.00 at MSI web http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1883
is not for your board.
There is another version of 785GTM-E45 who use 16.xx. [BIOS for it is N/A at MSI web]
Your mainboard should have ERP-120 ==>  601-7549-120 , using BIOS G.xx check it at mainboard box or over the sticker located over backside of the mainboard.

E.g:

601-7549-160 ==> Using BIOS 8.xx
601-7549-120 ==> Using BIOS 16.xx {Aka G.xx}

Both are 785GTM-E45 (MS-7549) with same PCB 1.0,but with different ERP.
At MSI web is shown only 1st one or BIOS for the 1st one only.

EDIT: With newest info:

The 8.xx is newest version from G.xx , which add CPU Voltage option.
The BIOS 8.00 should works for your board.
So appear to be M-Flash failure.

Confirmed, M-Flash failure..
Swapping from 8.xx to G.xx works fine with >>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<< ==> http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=132556.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up