Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motherboard 975X Platinum, & the best CPU? will Core 2 Duo E7600 work?  (Read 4298 times)

Misak69Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello,

I have a question related to my old motherboard MSI 975X Platinum. I have currently CPU C2D E 6300 1.86GHz (65nm, 1066Mhz FSB).

Now I would like to upgrade my CPU to the best, which will still work with the old motherboard.
I am looking for CPU: C2D Core 2 Duo E7600 - 3,06GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB cache, socket 775, 45nm,  BOX (Penryn, Wolfdale).

The question is: will CPU E7600 work with MSI 975X Platinum?

I prefer personal experience, because I found follwing link http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/975X_Platinum_%28MS-7246%29.html , and
there is E6300 marked as not supported (but it works for me).

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users

You are confusing different things at the same time here:

1) If you are using an E6300 on your board, you do not have an MSI 975X Platinum Board [MS-7246 PCB v1.x, BIOS-Versions W7246IMS.1xx] but actually an MSI 975X Platinum Power-Up Edition [MS-7246 PCB v2.x, BIOS-Versions W7246IMS.7xx.

2) The CPU Support List is not for your board and the information it contains does therefore not concern your system nor is it in any way useful for you.

-----------------------------

This is your mainboard and the official CPU-Support List for your board:

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=267&maincat_no=1&orderby=cpu_name%20ASC#menu

The fastest Core 2 Duo CPU you can put into your system is the X6800 [Extreme Edition Processor].  The fastest Quad Core Processor is the QX6800 [Extreme Edition Processor].

45nm processors are not supported at all.  You do not need to wait for other users that tell you they failed when they tried to use a 45nm processor.  The BIOS lacks the proper microcode and the chipset & VRD Specifications of the Board are too old to be able ensure proper operation of 45nm CPUs.

The question is: will CPU E7600 work with MSI 975X Platinum?

No, it will not.

Misak69Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you for clarification.
It helped me a lot.  :biggthumbsup:

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users

Also: FSB-333-MHz-Processors are not supported.

If you want to keep using the board, the best thing is probably to go for an E6600/E6700 or Q6600/Q6700.  Each of these offers more cache than your current E6300 and can be more or less easily overclocked to match the native speed of the X6800 or the QX6800. 

I have been using an E6600 on the same board for almost two years.  I had the FSB Clock Speed raised to 333 MHz without having to increase the CPU Core Voltage [333 x 9 =  3 GHz]. The DDR2-800 memory I used was slightly overclocked (DDR2-832) which also went pretty well and the Power Saving features (C1E & EIST) still worked properly.

That is probably the cheapest and most comfortable way to get a little more performance without having to spend a lot of money (Extreme Edition Processors are pretty expensive).

Misak69Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Thx. again. I will try the trick with overclocking of E6600.
Pages: [1]   Go Up