Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Bios Error-Error 8302--Press F1 to Resume  (Read 17093 times)

Stanhope

• Neo
Unknown Bios Error-Error 8302--Press F1 to Resume
« on: 06-December-09, 20:05:13 »

Hello to all.  I am new to this forum and MSI motherboards.  I've had  785gtm-e45 for three+ weeks and it has performed well until about three days ago.  My daughter said she had run an antimalware scan earlier, had email open and was browsing the web when the desktop froze. She reset the computer and it restarted with a blank screen. I cleared cmos, pulled battery overnight and still no video output. Del key would not start bios setup.  "control+home" which I noted in this forum caused motherboard activity so I tried other keys and F1 started monitor.  It showied a halted post: "checking nvram "  ( codes 008f and 00a1 were off to the right hand side of the screen), "Unknown bios error  error=8302 press F1 to resume".  At this point it did enter bios setup which seemed unchanged and fully functional i.e., changes took effect after a restart. I can get to windows if I press F1 on the blank startup screen, read the above halted post message and press F1 to resume. Windows operates properly. Searching error 8302 kicked up several identical situations with similar equipment, Ati 785 chipset with onboard graphics from Asus, Foxconn, etc. Most Motherboards with this problem were RMA'ed it seems but on an Asus forum I found a fix using "contol+pageup" while starting his computer with the Asus motherboard disk in his DVD drive.
This caused a bios -level reset and cleared the nvram as I understand it. This is the reason I posted this long-winded tale in the bios section -if I am in error please relocate it, thank you.  The MSI web site doesn't offer me any bios updates because I apparently have the latest bios. I would like to reinstall the current bios if possible-A7549AMS V8.0 090709- but cannot find this file. If I missed a section in the forum which has already dealt with this issue please point me in the right direction. Thanks to everyone.
Phenom IIx2 550
MSI 785GTM-E45  Mdl.# MS-7549 Bios v8.0
Corsair XMS C5 2X2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670
PSU Thermaltake 430W.
Seagate 1TB

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
Re: Unknown Bios Error-Error 8302--Press F1 to Resume
« Reply #1 on: 06-December-09, 20:27:12 »

Remove power from the PSU, then do >>Clear CMOS Guide<<
then leave one memory stick only in 1st DIMM close to CPU socket.
Then try to boot, if that can be done, enter in BIOS Setup and "Load BIOS Optimized Defaults" followed by save and exit.
and see how its goes

Stanhope

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 07-December-09, 00:40:01 »

Thank you for the rapid reply--I have cleared cmos, error screen came up telling me cmos setting s were incorrect (as expected), F1 to enter setup.  load optimized defaults, save and exit.  reboot gave me MSI logo screen and it hangs at nvram notification. The computer will boot to Windows if I "press F1 to resume". If I reboot from Windows the logo screen comes up again and it waits for F1 again. What has changes are the accompanying error codes 008f and 00a1--they are gone from the post screen.
Phenom IIx2 550
Corsair XMS C5 2X2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670
PSU Thermaltake 430W.
Seagate 1TB

Stanhope

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 07-December-09, 01:58:59 »

Svet-- thank you for your time--I would like to make clear that I DO NOT want to RMA this motherboard. I will learn nothing from sending it back.  And what if a replacement unit did the same thing?  Quite frankly I think it is working properly.  The fact that it detects memory, hardware, ports and USB equipment and halts on "detecting nvram" tells me it is doing what it has been programmed to do. I just don't know how to use that information.  And I need to make a correction of the prior post- a reboot  had codes 008f and 00a1 return on the checking nvram line. I assume the cmos itself is (has) nvram.  does the video chip have nvram? Anything else have nvram? How can I clear it out?  If the fellow on the Asus forum was correct, he was able to clear it --I do not recall that he reflashed the bios.  Thanks again.
Phenom IIx2 550
Corsair XMS C5 2X2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670
PSU Thermaltake 430W.
Seagate 1TB

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #4 on: 07-December-09, 04:51:06 »

Have you tried with one memory stick only as suggested?
You haven't flashed the BIOS before end to this error right?

Stanhope

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 07-December-09, 05:32:38 »

yes the computer is on one stick of mem. and no I have not flashed the bios.  I will if this can't be resolved with the current bios. This motherboard is equipped with m-flash. While browsing through the forum there were many issues with m-flash bios updates and I did not play with it. However it does seem that m-flash can save a copy of the bios to a usb drive. Is that correct? Do you think with the current nvram issue this bios is damaged?  If not could I save it and reapply it to the motherboard? Further researches for clearing nvram lead me to a script which is run in Dos (seemed dicey) and resetting ESCD, a control this motherboard does not have. However, this can be accomplished by moving a card from one pci slot to another. I pulled the PCIe vid. card (only occupied slot) and switched to onboard video. Alas, a restart didn't remove the nvram complaint, nor did clearing the bios with this new hardware setup.
Phenom IIx2 550
Corsair XMS C5 2X2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670
PSU Thermaltake 430W.
Seagate 1TB

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #6 on: 07-December-09, 06:28:48 »

Try again with your second memory stick alone in a same DIMM place.
Have you add-ed any new hardware before this issue to start?

. I would like to reinstall the current bios if possible-A7549AMS V8.0 090709- but cannot find this file.

I've attached them for you.
8.0 ==> 09/07/2009
8.1 ==> 10/23/2009 [latest one]

Stanhope

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 07-December-09, 06:59:36 »

Thank you--I'll try the other mem. stick in the nearest slot and reset cmos again. No new hardware was added before the problem. It seems clearing nvram setting was more common on earlier boards e.g. http://www.bosamar.com/KT4V/Bios.html, which had a well-marked adjustment in the bios. If that won't fix it, I'll try a bios update.
Phenom IIx2 550
Corsair XMS C5 2X2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670
PSU Thermaltake 430W.
Seagate 1TB
Pages: [1]   Go Up