Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB device(s) cause CPU temp increase on GX740  (Read 1037 times)

saturnotaku

• Neo
USB device(s) cause CPU temp increase on GX740
« on: 16-September-10, 03:25:53 »

Here's a bit of an odd issue. It's not a problem per-se, but I'm hoping to get a bit of community feedback on this. Whenever my GX740 notebook has a USB device attached to it, the CPU temperature, according to CPUID's HWMonitor program, is about 2-5 degrees higher than when nothing is connected. It doesn't matter if the device is a thumb drive, Xbox 360 controller, mouse, keyboard, or printer. It also only seems to happen with USB devices, as the external hard drive I have plugged into the eSATA port does not cause these increases.

My system has the latest BIOS, version 1.0B posted on the MSI site a few days ago. The chipset driver is the one from the MSI site, version 9.1.1.1027.

The system operates normally otherwise, but my wife's AMD-based Toshiba laptop doesn't experience this issue. Any insight is appreciated.
MSI GX740 (System BIOS 1.0B, NB EC 406) | Core i7 720QM | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 | ATI Radeon Mobility 5870 (VGA BIOS 023) | 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: USB device(s) cause CPU temp increase on GX740
« Reply #1 on: 17-September-10, 11:43:00 »

USB devices generate interupts and the system has to respond to it by enabling the drivers and software needed.
Looks normal to me it happens.

Pages: [1]   Go Up