Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BIOS doesn't recocnize IDE  (Read 5490 times)

Phutznfind

• CORPORAL
BIOS doesn't recocnize IDE
« on: 07-November-10, 01:49:51 »

Apparently I made a mistake Posting/hijacking another post :bonk: and I apologize for my ignorance. :worship:  I hope this section is where my question belongs  :confused2: 
My p965platinum's BIOS won't even show my IDE drives,  sometimes,  well most of the time..

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   
System Manufacturer   MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model   MS-7238
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2999 MHz
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. V1.8, 12/1/2007
SMBIOS Version   2.5
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name   
Time Zone   Mountain Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory   2,048.00 MB (Corsair XMS2 DHX [matched pair] 2 x 2GB DDR2 6400C4DHX cas5) running 5,5,5,18
Available Physical Memory   1.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   3.85 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

I have reset the CMOS several times and once in a great while the IDE and the devices,  1 WD60GB HDD and 1 Asus 1814 DVDR/RW,  will show and work.   I have changed out the cables several times and It showed up one time.  I just bought a new cable (24" rnd 80) and that hasn't helped. I have checked the power plugs to the devices and they have power.     I have set the drives from IDE - SATA - RAID etc.   No go.  The DVD's jumper is set to Master and is at the end of the cable,  the HDD is set to Slave  on the middle of the cable.  I have a Seagate 320GB HD on the SATA plug running in IDE, (as it shows in the BIOS)
Can't see a correlation but Boot.ini running in PAE mode.
Could there be something wrong with the board or the BIOS?
Twice I have done a hard shutdown and it has showed up.  But when I restart or shut it down for the night It won't show when it starts back up??   System Restore does nothing.
On other old BIOS' I could hit a key to "detect" drives,  but this BIOS has no option for that.  Everything it "Auto".
Again I sincerely apologize for "hijacking" the other post!  X-((     Any help would be appreciated

Henry

« Reply #1 on: 07-November-10, 06:42:09 »

HDD should be master and DVD should be slave. HDD jumpered as 'Master' goes on the end black connector and the DVD jumpered as 'Slave' goes on the middle gray connector.

" I have set the drives from IDE - SATA - RAID etc. "

Set to IDE

Wonkanoby

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #2 on: 07-November-10, 07:34:08 »

whats the hard drive
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07-November-10, 12:21:00 »

And what power supply?

In fact, what else is in your system? >>Posting Guide<<
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Phutznfind

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 08-November-10, 04:04:41 »

HI again,
I think I have all the info you ask for.
Processor: Intel Pentium4 531  PRESCOTT  3.00GHz
               Family: F,   Stepping: 1 ,  REV: 17   Core stepping: EO,   Technology: 90nm
               Multiplier x FSB:  15.0 x 200.0
BIOS:   American Megatrend Vers.  1.8
Operating system:  Win XP Pro  Sp3  w/ all updates.
Power Supply:   Leadman "POWMAX" ATX 6100C,  Serial ATA ready,  3 step fan control,   Shielding tube to reduce EMI.        300W.    +3.3V -28A,   +5V - 30A,   +12V - 15A,  -5V - 0.3A,  -12V - 0.8A,  +5Vsb -2.0A
OP sys HDD:  Seagate "Barracuda" 320GB (SATA)7200.10, mod. #ST3320820as,   +5V - 0.72A,  +12V - .052A
*Backup HDD: On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO
*DVDR:  On IDE cable, ASUS "QuieTrack" DRW-1814BL
2 front USB2 w/MS wireless Mobile mouse
USB (rear): w/MS "Comfortcurve" 2000 v1.0 Keyboard
USB (rear): HP "PrecisionScan"  scanner  Note:   only hook this up when I need a scan,  not very often.
USB (rear): Kodak Z700 docking station
USB (rear)  HP Deskjet 940C Printer, Note: Haven't used this in about a year
Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB   vid bios: vers-4.34.20.87.00  all up to date drivers. Firmware vers.175.19
FANS,  other then PSU, 3,  1 looks to be 100mm? (rear),  1 front 70mm,  and CPU fan  none speed regulated
and lastly the floppy disc
Memory listed above.
This configuration HAS shown and operated before and as mentioned above, for whatever reason, will show in the BIOS once in a while.  HDD set to IDE, and "Enhanced" (SATA1).   I have accessed the WD HDD and burned a DVD within the last 4 weeks. then it didn't show and after hard shutdowns and resetting the CMOS sometimes it/they would be recognized by the BIOS,  but not in about the last 2+ weeks.
Even, as now, the computer runs without a hitch.  Pretty fast and only one glitch once in awhile,  that is I have a little difficult time getting the internet connection to go.  But after a restart (or two) it works. :confused2:
Do you have any info or suggestions?  Sure would like to see it all work.
I'm not a rich man but have thought about a better PSU. Just can swing it right away.
I really do like this motherboard.  I've had a few others and this has been the best with more options then I think I'll ever use.
Thanks for anything you can share.   I know you guys volunteer your time and so that is really, really appreciated.
Thanks!! :hat tip:
Marv

« Last Edit: 08-November-10, 11:17:19 by Phutznfind »

Wonkanoby

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #5 on: 08-November-10, 05:27:30 »

On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO

check its jumper settings

wd alone have 2 master settings

as marked with jumper if it has a slave

or jumperless if master alone on ide
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Phutznfind

• CORPORAL
« Reply #6 on: 09-November-10, 03:53:36 »

On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO

check its jumper settings

wd alone have 2 master settings

as marked with jumper if it has a slave

or jumperless if master alone on ide

Hi Wonk..
I just checked all the jumpers on the WD 60Gig..  I did have it set to slave  hooked to the middle of the cable.

The WD HD shows this:
Looking at the back of the drive from left to right:
1st- pm2 ?? don't have a clue what this is?
2nd- No markings
3rd-  Master
4th-  Slave
5th-  Cable select

Ok this is what I just did.   I took out both the DVD and the WD HDD (IDE)  I change the WD to "Master" and put it on the end of the cable.   I changed the jumper on the DVD to "Slave" and put it in the middle. I checked all the other cables for tightness in case I might have moved them.  All OK. :smile:
Now,  since I know win XP Pro sp3,  32bit won't recognize (for the most part) more then 2 Gigs of memory, I decided to remove one of my memory sticks.  It came up, of course as 2048 GBs and it booted just fine.  As a matter of fact the internet connection came up faster then it has for quite some time. Didn't have to reboot.   I was a little surprised there.  Be that as it may the IDE drives still didn't show.  The Bios has been set to "load optimum".  (for a few days now)

In looking over my system and seeing exactly what PSU I have,  I was a little surprised there also.  I, for whatever reason, always assumed the PSU was a 450W unit :bonk:.  As I learned and as you can see it is only a 300W.

Earlier I had MSI and,  I forget the site,  but they had a section where one could see if their power supply was adequate.  To try and make this shorter,  It said I needed 285 Watts.   Knowing this and knowing that a "good" unit should supply 80% or better I calculate that mine running at best would only supply + or- 240 watts.
I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the BIOS not recognizing the IDE but overall wouldn't or couldn't it have a negative affect somewhere down the road?  I know THAT's another subject but I don't know what effect the PSU has on what exactly. X-((

So at least I'm leaning closer to getting a better PSU.   Any reccommendation?

Thanks for listening!
Marv
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up