Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 890FXA-GD65 and possible USB Controller related issue?  (Read 16791 times)

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Hi all - Been having a bad time of it with a new system build for a little under a month now.  Have tried to capture my "notes" below, any idea of a root cause?  Is anyone aware of known issues with the board; the board and Windows 7; the board and some other component(s)?

My issue:  During Windows 7 x64 installation or startup, the system will freeze at the "Starting Windows" screen.

My system specifications:
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 890FXA-GD65  (BIOS ver 18)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock speed  (HDZ555WFGMBOX)
MEMORY: DDR3 1600 2X4GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X [DIMM1 & DIMM2] (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
VIDEO CARD: XFX Radeon HD 5670 512MB (HD-567X-YNF3)
HARD DRIVE(s): 2 x Western Digital 500GB 7200 drive (WD5000AAVS)
POWER SUPPLY: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W
Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate edition, retail)

This problem has existed since I first built the system and is consistently reproducable.

I am able to avoid the issue by disabling the USB Controller in BIOS prior to initiating the Windows installer.  This will allow me to proceed through Windows installation, but as soon as the USB Controller is enabled once again, the issue recurs.  Having to disable USB support is undesirable.

I'm now on my second 890FXA-GD65 motherboard, having RMA'ed the first board after a fairly brief exchange with MSI tech support(2 replies, with the eventual suggestion of RMA for a faulty USB controller).  So I went through the RMA process with the online retailer, receiving a new board today.

The problem is that the RMA replacement behaves in exactly the same manner.  Normally this would suggest to me that the problem may lie with one or more of the other components, but I've not been able to identify issues with any of them.  One obvious suggestion would be to try swapping out components, but my resources are constrained on that front - video card happens to be the only component for which I have a alternate that I can test with, actually.

As far as troubleshooting investigation, here's what I've done/observed:
1. Windows installation/startup will succeed if the USB Controller is disabled in BIOS.
2. The same behavior can be observed with a Windows Vista installation disk as well.
3. When loading Windows in safe mode, the last driver file loaded was disk.sys
4. Memtest86+ (v4.2), repeated full passes reveal no issues with the system memory.
5. While seeming that it would be an unlikely factor, I have swapped out video cards(to an eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB), but observed the same issue still exists.
6. Running in a single DIMM configuration affected no change.
7. Have disconnected one or the other of the hard drives with no change.
8. The BIOS version installed is equivalent to the latest(and only) version posted on the MSI support site.

So...any ideas on what's left to try?  I've done enough reading online to notice that I'm not the only person to have observed this behavior, but have yet to encounter any explanation of it nor a resolution.

Any suggestions?

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
Re: 890FXA-GD65 and possible USB Controller related issue?
« Reply #1 on: 02-March-11, 18:25:40 »

What USB devices do you have?
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 02-March-11, 18:41:06 »

Of primary importance, my mouse and printer are USB devices.  Next come various device chargers, etc...

wlahdone

• MAJOR
  • Hamangia figurine (5000–4600 BC)
« Reply #3 on: 02-March-11, 19:22:39 »

Are you using any 3-rd party antivirus/firewall  ?
AMD FX 6300 + H60 + ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, MSIA88X-G41 PC Mate(17.9) + AMD 860K + Sapphire R7 265, AMD FM2 A4-5300 + MSI FM2 A75-E35, MSI AM1M + Athlon 5350

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 02-March-11, 20:02:31 »

@wlahdone - No on both counts.

Just in case there is any confusion, Windows is no longer installed on the machine.

I did mention that in the original post that, during my previous attempts, I was able to install Windows 7 by disabling the USB Controller.  That was purely an exercise in troubleshooting the issue.

Ultimately, my plan would be to have my hard drives setup in RAID 0.  So now I'm starting from scratch and won't be bothering again with completing the Windows install(nor RAID configuration) until I can do so with the USB Controller enabled and, in otherwords, am fairly confident that the issue is understood and resolved.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #5 on: 03-March-11, 02:25:25 »

And the issue or problem is?
As you keep describing some sort of problem, but not what it is. :bonk:

wlahdone

• MAJOR
« Reply #6 on: 03-March-11, 05:15:59 »

My issue:  During Windows 7 x64 installation or startup, the system will freeze at the "Starting Windows" screen.

To workaround W7 installation you turned USB off.
To work around crap drivers that freeze your system at start up you should do the same.

I presume it s the USB 3 NEC chip that generates you issues.I don t know your BIOS ,but if there is an option to disable USB 3.0 only ,do it
I doubt you have any USB 3 device.
Also you need to make sure you did connected properly the USB front panel connectors ,some cases have strange USB connectors to install on the mobo which cause freezing or BSOD.
So remove anything pluged in the USB motherboard connectors and see what happens as well.
AMD FX 6300 + H60 + ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, MSIA88X-G41 PC Mate(17.9) + AMD 860K + Sapphire R7 265, AMD FM2 A4-5300 + MSI FM2 A75-E35, MSI AM1M + Athlon 5350

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 03-March-11, 09:22:58 »

@wlahdone
You're correct in your assumption that I have no USB 3 devices, but disabling only USB 3.0 support isn't a workaround for the problem.  There is an option in BIOS to do so, but I've tested it and it doesn't do the trick.  The same system freeze still occurs.

The only way that I've been able to do that is by disabling the USB Controller completely, such that there is no USB support at all.

wlahdone

• MAJOR
« Reply #8 on: 03-March-11, 09:26:46 »

Are you able to post a picture with the BIOS settings regarding integrated peripherals ? It would be good to see the USB legacy options you enabled as well.
Maybe you can disable the USB 2 controller and let enabled USB 3 as you say USB 3 has no impact and as the USB 3 is controlled by a different chip.
Have you tryed Windows 7 32 bit ?

Edit:
I ve just noticed ,you are using Ripjaws :)
Many here will recommend you to change them as they are flaky.And as any driver error can be related to memory i advice you to try with some other RAM sticks as well.

drgan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 03-March-11, 14:00:03 »

I'm having a similar issue with this motherboard. Infact, I've completely uninstalled Windows and now only have Ubuntu Linux installed. I've RMA'd the board once figuring it to be a USB controller issue but now this is the second board in a row. Something doesn't seem right here to have to disable the onboard USB Controller just to boot up an operating system. If there are suggestions on how to resolve this please let me know.

-- USB 3.0 Controller : Disabled - no fix
-- USB Legacy Support: Disabled - no fix
-- USB Controller: Disabled - can boot up just fine, no USB support though.

Using:
890FXA-GD65 w/ AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GH & 4GB Kinston HyperX DDR 3 ram.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 03-March-11, 14:16:27 »

drgan,

For troubleshooting purposes, you should open your own new thread and describe your problem after reading the >>Posting Guide<<.

It can get confusing trying to help two people in the same thread.

But for both of you, it is important to establish whether it is the USB controller itself, or a connected USB device, that is causing the problem. Leave the USB controller(s) enabled, but disconnect all USB devices, then try again.

wlahdone

• MAJOR
« Reply #11 on: 03-March-11, 15:29:34 »

You should also specify in your threads what BIOS versions are you using .

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 03-March-11, 23:36:32 »

@drgan - Thanks for chiming in.  We've observed exactly the same behavior and was interested to note the system memory that you're using.

@wlahdone -  I apologize, but I don't have a way to post pictures at the moment(ironically for lack of a USB connector for my camera. :P).  However, I can tell you while looking at the Integrated Peripherals page in BIOS that there are three available options related to USB (as drgan also mentions):
USB Legacy Support  (enabled|disabled)
USB 3.0 Controller  (enabled|disabled)
USB Controller  (enabled|disabled)

I've tried all possible permutations of settings across these three and only setting USB Controller = Disabled allows me to proceed through Windows installation or startup. Furthermore, regarding testing out alternate setup disks, I've observed that this issue is consistent when using Windows 7 32 & 64 bit install disks and also Vista 32-bit.

@Stu -This board features an AMI BIOS at version 18 - file name appears to be A7640AMS, if I read it correctly.  This appears to be the only version that has been released as far as what I can discern from the MSI support/downloads page.

There was also a suggestion that flaky memory may play a part in the issue and I have also read in forum posts that G.Skill system memory isn't held in high regard. Having had my run-in with flaky memory in the past, I can follow that line of thinking.  However, I'm wondering how to evaluate this objectively, given that Memtest86+ over multiple full passes reports no errors.  As my luck goes, I don't have spare memory lying around for testing, so it seems that I'll have to make a decision between RMA'ing one or the other(or both) in order to make some headway with this build.

At any rate, thanks for giving it some thought.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 04-March-11, 01:25:46 »

But for both of you, it is important to establish whether it is the USB controller itself, or a connected USB device, that is causing the problem. Leave the USB controller(s) enabled, but disconnect all USB devices, then try again.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #14 on: 04-March-11, 01:30:46 »

Using:
890FXA-GD65 w/ AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GH & 4GB Kinston HyperX DDR 3 ram.

You are being overclocked!
Also start your own topic.

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #15 on: 04-March-11, 07:27:36 »

Can't you people read? He says he got Ripjaws memory and system freezes during Windows installation.
Replace that memory with Crucial, Corsair or Kingston that runs well at 1333 MHz.

If you want to battle the Ripjaws, increase RAM voltage, decrease speed, loosen timings... And what have you!?

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #16 on: 04-March-11, 10:39:29 »

Trying to catch the points that weren't explicitly spoken to by me in the last attempt:

@Stu - Regarding testing with zero USB devices connected - this was done as part of troubleshooting and it has no observable effect, so I think that I can rule out a bad USB device being the culprit and I apologize for not making that clear previously.

@Frederik - I've done a little more legwork on the memory item.  Troubleshooting, for the most part, has been executed with this memory set to run as DDR1333 @ 1.5V as that is what the board auto-defaults to(the kit is rated as DDR1600 @ 1.5V)  It was at the defaulted setting that I ran memtest86+ and no errors were reported.

I've also just now made an attempt to run this memory as DDR1066 at 1.65V and still there is no change in results.  In my research on this specific kit, I have not run into accounts like mine - in the accounts that I have read regarding a poor experience with the kit, memory has either been been obviously bad, for which failures are reported in diagnostics like memtest. ...or, I suppose that there's also the random guy complaining about his overclock not working or the memory speed defaulting to the wrong value in BIOS.  :-P)

Frankly, I don't want to battle any particular component and I owe no allegiance to this make of memory.  I do want to try to be objective, given that I'm stuck with these modules until I make the decision to RMA.  As such, I had read what info is available out there - prior to purchase, I hadn't noted so many reports of issues with this kit across a considerable sample size of feedback so as to cause me initial concern, or else I would have gone with a different kit/different brand.  Probably will do that anyways, next time, but in the meantime, I'm afraid of this being a distraction.  If both myself and this other person(drgan) had both been using the same memory kit, and thus it was more likely to be the common thread, I'd certainly be more inclined to this line of reasoning.  But since he's using Kingston and in the few other accounts of a system freezing on USB controller enabled status I've noted varied memory kit brands, it doesn't seem to me to be an obvious culprit.  But if not, then what's left to consider?  The other interesting factor to me is that the issue appears to be Windows-centric....but...  :confused2:

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #17 on: 04-March-11, 17:59:37 »

I may have sounded a little patronising, and it's not far from it.  :smile: Most of the time Windows installation freezes it is due to memory. Most of the time Ripjaw has been involved I've seen, they have been part of or all the problem. Memtest can find them to be perfectly all right, but that doesn't mean the processor is able to cooperate. If you absolutely don't want to change memory, at least try with only one stick. It is possible un-even quality is involved.

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #18 on: 04-March-11, 19:52:02 »

@Fredrik

Fair enough.   I was hoping for something definitive as an indicator of bad/incompatible memory, but your feedback stating that you've encountered situations where memtest is not an absolute indicator of stability is of value to me too.  As I've considered that along with other factors in accounts of this problem, I'm also curious about whether have you noted that Win installer is more susceptible to failure due to flaky memory than a favorite flavor of linux, such as Ubuntu?  ...or even Winki?

...and, please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not against changing this memory out - not a G.Skill fanboy by any measure.  My reticence is related only to what is currently practical for me and my being stingy with my RMA shipping dollars.  I regret not having an alternative to test with.  I'm also afraid of RMA'ing the memory for something I/we trust better and finding that the same problem exists, given some of the other similar accounts that I've read this seems a reasonable possibility.  So that's really why I'd prefer to make sure that replacing the memory is the right step before taking it...and, yes, I understand that confirming this may not be entirely possible.

So to your last point, I had also done my due diligence in swapping out DIMMs and running in various single DIMM configurations and still no change. 

On a related note, I've also followed up with MSI tech support on my existing ticket and have let them know that the issue remains open after an RMA cycle.  Their reply indicated that the issue would be forwarded to HQ for investigation.  I will gladly pass along info should anything further be revealed...

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #19 on: 05-March-11, 07:17:26 »

Well, there is the possibility the very DVD has a scratch or other damage, and that the DVD-device is not capable of delivering true data streams at the set speed. I doubt it will work, but it is not difficult to test.
Enter DeviceManager and Properties for the controller of the DVD-device, lika a SATA/PATA/IDE controller. There, check the speed the DVD-device is set to, and make sure it is set to UDMA2 or less. Chances are BIOS set it to UDMA6 or higher, and not all DVD-devices can do that.
But memory is more likely.
Regards!

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #20 on: 05-March-11, 23:55:54 »

@Fredrik - Thanks, I appreciate the brainstorming, but the damaged DVD angle is less likely - there are three discs that I've tested, all legitimate, factory-pressed copies that result in the same freezing during setup.  Testing out the drives setting is a little more difficult as I'd have to move it into a machine with Windows installed in order to execute those steps, but I will keep it in mind.  (Update: If I read it right, it looks like BIOS is setting this device to UDMA4)

About to take a different tack in order to get closer to either identifying memory instability/incompatibility as the root cause or ruling it out.  Have a contact with some DDR3 to lend for testing and although I put the make(Patriot) in the same class as G.Skill, I'll have to give it a try simply because I can.  At the same time I'm figuring to bite the bullet and see about going with a brand/model off of MSI's tested modules list.  If anyone has any strong opinions about a favorite make of sysmem that they'd like to weigh in with, I'd be glad to consider it.

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #21 on: 06-March-11, 12:31:22 »

I am not too familiar with Patriot nowadays. I used to "sub" it back when. Hopefully you will notice a difference. Best of luck!

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #22 on: 07-March-11, 01:44:03 »

Sadly, luck was not with me this evening and so this is starting to feel like a cursed build.  :undecided:

I was able to borrow both system memory(the aforemention Patriot) and a new power supply, but neither component swap out made a difference in the end result.  There are only two components left that haven't been swapped out in testing at this point - the cpu and the DVD drive.  Going to have to consider how to take a next step...

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #23 on: 13-March-11, 01:10:21 »

Good news finally!

My build now is up and running.  For all my component testing that I was eventually able to do, it turned out that all I needed was a BIOS update.  On this past Friday, I received said update from MSI tech support - looks like a beta version.  Today, I was able to attend to my floundering system build once again and after flashing my BIOS to this updated version, my computer no longer gets hung up during Windows boot.

I'm greatly relieved.  It was a long, frustrating wait, but I would like to call out tech support for providing me a resolution and being generally responsive to my ticket updates.  Thank you, MSI.

For anyone having the problem described in this thread, I'm speculating that a new BIOS version is being tested right now and that an update will be posted eventually.  If anyone needs this file, I'd be glad to help out and get it posted somewhere, but it'd probably be more appropriate to follow up via the official tech support route.

asithink

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #24 on: 13-March-11, 05:56:22 »

This is indeed great news FooDaddy! On the Internet, I've been following the adventures of the 890FXA-GD65 motherboard problems, and have resisted RMAing mine in hopes you and others could find a solution - I need this new BIOS! Please post info on how I and other silent observers can get it! Thanks!

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #25 on: 13-March-11, 06:57:44 »

Great you got things running like you want them to!  :biggthumbsup:
I can not help think, being very stubborn, that the update somehow adjusted the memory compatability. Other voltage levels maybe. Without knowing for sure, I doubt timings been changed.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 13-March-11, 07:40:31 »

This is indeed great news FooDaddy! On the Internet, I've been following the adventures of the 890FXA-GD65 motherboard problems, and have resisted RMAing mine in hopes you and others could find a solution - I need this new BIOS! Please post info on how I and other silent observers can get it! Thanks!

Contact MSI SUpport, as FooDaddy did: http://support.msi.com

Tosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #27 on: 14-March-11, 03:07:03 »

I've followed this also for quite some time now. In my case BIOS update did not change anything. I had no problems updating or backing up BIOS from USB using M-flash functions so i think the flash was OK.

I still have to disable the USB controller to get into windows or Linux. When USB disabled, then there are no problems even when trying some games (ex Tropico 3 with PS2 mouse only :) ) there were no power problems or anything.

So Foodaddy please could you answer some questions:

1. was the Bios version you got from MSI A7640AMS.I12?
2. did you change any settings in the new Bios or just used Optimal Defaults?
3. what kind of power connectors have you connected? Like 24 or 20 and are you using also 8-pin and 6-pin in your working setup. (i did read from somewhere that somebody had problems running this board with 24 and 8 pins connected together).

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #28 on: 15-March-11, 10:28:18 »

Hi Tosa - Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble as well.  I've replied inline with responses to your questions.

So Foodaddy please could you answer some questions:

1. was the Bios version you got from MSI A7640AMS.I12?
The version that I received from MSI was A7640AMS.I13  (ver 18.1B3)
2. did you change any settings in the new Bios or just used Optimal Defaults?
After flashing to this new version, I 'Enabled Optimized Defaults'; disabled Quick Boot and Logo Display; and changed the boot order.  Nothing else was tweaked while testing this new version and confirming that it addressed the issue successfully.  I have since been able to go through and make a number of changes to test the board out will no apparent ill-effect.
3. what kind of power connectors have you connected? Like 24 or 20 and are you using also 8-pin and 6-pin in your working setup. (i did read from somewhere that somebody had problems running this board with 24 and 8 pins connected together).

I am using the 24-pin connector.
The 8-pin is plugged into the mother board.
I have a 6-pin connector plugged directly into my video card(8800 GTS) rather than the motherboard.  Re: the 6-pin, I have tested two different make & model of video cards and for the other card(a Radeon HD 5670) have also had the 6-pin plugged into the motherboard directly since flashing the BIOS(different video card) - both configurations seemed to be viable.

..so it looks like there is a likely version difference between the two BIOS files that you and I have tried.  Have you been in touch with support to provide them with your feedback?

Tosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #29 on: 17-March-11, 02:43:04 »

FooDaddy, thanks for the answer! I was getting really frustrated.

Did some researching and managed to find that version you mentioned and now my system is running correctly.

I'm a very happy person right now :D

Waiting for the msi supports answer though.

misshooter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #30 on: 17-March-11, 12:56:47 »

FooDaddy, thanks for the answer! I was getting really frustrated.

Did some researching and managed to find that version you mentioned and now my system is running correctly.

I'm a very happy person right now :D

Waiting for the msi supports answer though.

I'm having the same issues. Can you tell me where you found this bios?

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 18-March-11, 01:28:47 »

Tosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 18-March-11, 06:37:08 »

I have received the official solution to my problem:

We have test you issue by below configration,
MB: 7640-040
BIOS: A7640AMS.I00
CPU: Phenom II X2 z555 HDZ555WFK2DGM
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 1GB
HDD: WD1600AAJS
DVDROM: Pioneer DVD-231D
but can not find the same issue.
please contact your reseller (the place you bought the board from) for repair. If the reseller for some reason cannot help, please check if there is MSI distributors nearby. you could find there address or website on this link. http://www.msi.com/service/wheretobuy/
If by chance , there is no MSI distributors, you can try to contact MSI office nearby. http://www.msi.com/about/contact-us/ for more help

I replied to them also and asked why they didnt gave me that version i specifically asked for. Lets see what they are going to answer.

Mowerpar

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #33 on: 22-March-11, 15:51:15 »

I have the same problem that you had Foodaddy.  I hope msi support is as helpful to me as they we're to you

MB: 890FXA-GD65
Bios: A7640AMS.I00
Cpu: Phenom II X2 555 (HDZ555WFGMBOX)
Memory: GSkill 2x2gb (F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK)
HDD: Seagate 500gb Barracuda 7200rpm (9BD648-550)
Optical: hp dvd1260i-H01 B
Video Card: EVGA gtx 460 (768-P3-1360-TR)
Power Supply: Corsair TX650w
Windows xp 32bit

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #34 on: 22-March-11, 17:02:55 »

Hope things will go well! Since it is a long thread this, it would be nice to know what kind of problems your system got.

FooDaddyTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #35 on: 22-March-11, 17:41:42 »

Hey all -  wanted to call attention to the fact that there is an official BIOS update posted to the MSI support site.

I haven't tested it yet, but as it is dated March 11, I think that there is a fair chance of it containing the same fix as was present in the file that I received from support.

Have a look --> http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD65.html#/?div=BIOS

(going to give it a test right now)

Mowerpar

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #36 on: 23-March-11, 19:23:54 »

Man that was some quick service on msi's part.  2 hours after I put in a ticket they sent me a updated bios that fixed my problem :agrees:

Tosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #37 on: 24-March-11, 00:32:53 »

I'm still waiting for the reply. But i think as in my last message i wrote that i have solved the problem they are not going to answer me anyway.

Going to try the official update in the evening.

Interesting is that the MSI Live Update has not shown me that update.

Tosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #38 on: 25-March-11, 02:34:27 »

Official answer and i guess that means my ticket was closed:

Thanks for your information.

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 by MSI

asithink

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #39 on: 25-March-11, 08:53:56 »

Just a note to say my 890FXA-GD65 is now up and running, thanks mostly to Foodaddy. And yes...I contacted MSI support FIRST, and followed their advice; then contacted them again when the board still didn't work after I spent literally hundreds of dollars replacing possibly inadequate/faulty components. I did not follow their next advice which was to RMA the board back to Newegg...that would have cost me even more money and time wasted.

So...Kudos, Thanks and a big, "Hoooorah!" to Foodaddy for researching the correct solution to the BIOS problem on this mainboard.

Final build:

Antec Sonata III Case
Antec Truepower 750W PS
MSI 890FXA-GD65 Mainboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
2X4GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
XFX 4770 Graphics Card
Asus DVD/CD drive
Asus Wireless board
Optical Wired Mouse
Wired Keyboard
Inital OS - Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit)
(Plans are for 64bit BSD OS host to at least 2 Virtual Machines.)

MeanBob91

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #40 on: 25-March-11, 12:07:00 »

Hey guys, new guy here.

Well, been looking at this thread for the past 2 days while trying to get my mobo working and have done what you guys suggested; contact MSI, get their input on it and get a BIOS file from them.

All is well, but when I try to update the BIOS via a USB Flash drive, a message pops up and being able select either one of these:

ROMID DISMATCH.

When that comes up, we can either pick a different BIOS or Force the flash. I wanna be on the safe side and ask you guys 'cause the instructions that MSI gives us that it should update with no problem. Help?

p.s. trying to install windows 7 64 bit. only way i was able to install it at all was by disabling the usb. Installation went through, but at that point, we can't do anything
Pages: [1]   Go Up