Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the video card BIOS flash utility ?  (Read 12644 times)

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
Where is the video card BIOS flash utility ?
« on: 19-March-11, 01:35:42 »

This is really, really annoying, you wait weeks for a MSI response, and when they do respond, they tell you to flash the video card BIOS, and in the archive, there is only the xxxx.110 file, nothing else.

Live update 5 don't have a option to load a BIOS file that I can find, the online update checker don't work on 64bit OS, so what are we supposed to do ?
Yes, I have asked the tech support guys how to flash, but this is going to take weeks to respond again, like all the other times I was giving information to them, and I rather have a working video card... :wall:

Can anyone shed some light on this, I already checked the MSI site, and I don't see any flasher except for motherboards ?

Mark

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • Former Moderator
Re: Where is the video card BIOS flash utility ?
« Reply #1 on: 19-March-11, 01:58:48 »

You can flash with the >>MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<. :yes:

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 19-March-11, 02:23:31 »

What video card you have? And what you want to flash? And why?
Read >>Posting Guide<<

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 19-March-11, 02:32:24 »

You can flash with the >>MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<. :yes:
That don't work.

"Everythink:police:

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 19-March-11, 02:34:42 »

What video card you have? And what you want to flash? And why?
Read >>Posting Guide<<

I have the MSI 6850.
I want to flash the BIOS file for that video card that MSI told me to update.
As for why ?  MSI's tech support thinks it will fix the black screen of death problem.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 19-March-11, 02:37:01 »

That don't work.

"Everythink:police:

Typo error corrected. thanks
Tool doesn't support VBIOS images for Mode 2
It can flash VBIOS files only with Mode 1, but need proper images downloaded from MSI web [including proper flashers supplied]

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 19-March-11, 02:37:50 »

I have the MSI 6850.
As for why ?  MSI's tech support thinks it will fix the black screen of death problem.

Oki gonna take a look and post back,
in mean time can you tell us more about your issue?
Read >>Posting Guide<< and provide full system specifications

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 19-March-11, 02:54:59 »

I didn't think it was relevant to post complete system specs, since this has nothing to do with the system.

I have a 890fxe, Phenom II, 8GB RAM, Vista 64bit, and the MSI 6850 video card.
I also tested on my old system, which was 2GB, XP (32bit) and the MSI 6850 card, with the exact same issues.

The issue is, that in games, the MSI 6850 will basically crash, and all video output is disabled (monitors report no video).
There is NOTHING you can do at this point, and you must turn the system off/on.  Hitting the reset button does reboot the machine, but still no video output to monitors.

This is a well known issue, and the only fix I thought was to RMA the card, but it seems this tech support person I am in contact with, wants me to flash the BIOS, and see if it helps.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336500444&postcount=26
"For the HD6800 card AMD is using CHiL 8214 VR. This VR is used in multiple products and in different configurations. The chipset comes with a 00 default configuration, however the manufacturers have the option to write individual configurations for their graphic cards. When this happens 00 is substituted with a different number (in 8214 module’s case there are 18 configurations). These configurations have to be provided to CHiL (AMD, NV and the manufacturers are doing this) who in turn does the necessary modifications and the VR has to be ordered based on the modifications there on. The cause of the problem is that the cards in question have not been using the properly configured VR that in some cases caused voltage fluctuations which in turn caused no signal. Gigabyte manipulated memory timing through BIOS so the memory is more forgiving to voltage fluctuations, with positive results for some customers.
The problem came to surface because AMD’s main partners ordered a large number of CHiL 8214 configured for HD 6800 therefore creating a shortage for the rest of the manufacturers who are not partners. Most likely Gigabyte did not wait until the properly configured 8214 shipment arrived and used a similarly configured 8214. According to the information approximately 100 cards were built with these chipsets. Since there is no recall Gigabyte is probably waiting for individual warranty calls, also noting that other manufacturers could have the same problem, only because of a malfunctioning VR, simply a manufacturing defect. One can recognize this is a Gigabyte problem since their cards malfunction under similar applications for the majority of users versus other VR faulty customers where the freeze happens randomly if the load is slightly larger."

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=142284&STARTPAGE=17&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

He did resolve the issue with his MSI 6850 card in this thread http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336484190&postcount=24

There are lots of other places that talk about this issue with 6850 cards.

Here is a youtube video of the issue that someone did...

Enough info now ?  :-))

« Last Edit: 19-March-11, 02:57:25 by Kobaltx6 »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 19-March-11, 03:04:41 »

Yes i know, i'm aware with those things.
But there are also other possible reasons like:
Weak or failure PSU or VGA to be unstable at HW-OC
You didn't tell what PSU you are using?
And have you tried to apply VGA reference clocks instead to retest?
It would be good if you check all possibilities

I have the MSI 6850.

Use this ATI flasher: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1968/ATIFlash%203.86.html
Make a bootable USB key ==> http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm
once done copy the flasher tool to the bootable usb key,
reboot machine and boot to dos, when you see a:\ or c:\ type:
atiflash -p 0 bios.xxx [ENTER]

where bios.xxx is your vbios file sent by msi tech., replace the name with accurate one.

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 19-March-11, 03:19:59 »

Yes i know, i'm aware with those things.
But there are also other possible reasons like:
Weak or failure PSU or VGA to be unstable at HW-OC
You didn't tell what PSU you are using?
And have you tried to apply VGA reference clocks instead to retest?
It would be good if you check all possibilities

Oh, sorry, forgot to list the PSU.  One is a Corsair HX850, the other is a Corsair GS700.
The card isn't o/ced at all, it is reference clocks, and always has been.  If I lower the speeds down, then I don't have the issue--though, since the frame rate loss had a big impact, I didn't test for more than 30 mins.
This is 100% unacceptable. I paid for a card that should work at the default speed, not down clock it. :angryfire:
Use this ATI flasher: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1968/ATIFlash%203.86.html
Make a bootable USB key ==> http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm
once done copy the flasher tool to the bootable usb key,
reboot machine and boot to dos, when you see a:\ or c:\ type:
atiflash -p 0 bios.xxx [ENTER]

where bios.xxx is your vbios file sent by msi tech., replace the name with accurate one.

I did actually find / see that site before, but the issue is, the BIOS file I was told to get is 64K size, and when I create a backup of the current BIOS it is 128K in size.
This is why I went looking for the MSI branded utility that will work with the BIOS file.  "TV244MS.110" is the exact name for the BIOS file, and I am unsure why it is named that.  There is no readme file or anything else in the rar archive.  I find it very odd that the backup file is 128K in size, and the new BIOS file is only 64K in size, and I don't want to brick my video card, since I sold my other card and I would be left with no video card...

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 19-March-11, 03:22:57 »

Can you check QC code from the back of your card,
those round sticker with single digit of number and tell what number it is?

Also can you tell us the VGA SN?

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #11 on: 19-March-11, 03:45:02 »

Can you check QC code from the back of your card,
those round sticker with single digit of number and tell what number it is?

Also can you tell us the VGA SN?

Is it OK to post the serial # here ?  It starts off with 602-v244-01sbxxxxxxxxxxx ...
For the QC code, I don't see one... well, I see 4 round stickers, 2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 orange.  Which one is the QC ?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 19-March-11, 03:53:10 »

The QC it's transparent sticker with black number

Is it OK to post the serial # here ?  It starts off with 602-v244-01sbxxxxxxxxxxx ...

Yes its ok, but this is also enough from the SN.
But we need more info, can you check take a look over VBIOS chip green sticker and paste what's written there?

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #13 on: 19-March-11, 04:01:36 »

The QC it's transparent sticker with black number
Oh, didn't see that the first time, it shows 02.

Yes its ok, but this is also enough from the SN.
But we need more info, can you check take a look over VBIOS chip green sticker and paste what's written there?

Isn't the VBIOS chip under the big heatsink ?  I rather not remove that... but I got a GPU-z screenshot if that helps ?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 19-March-11, 04:06:36 »

Oh, didn't see that the first time, it shows 02.Isn't the VBIOS chip under the big heatsink ?  I rather not remove that... but I got a GPU-z screenshot if that helps ?

Oh, didn't see that the first time, it shows 02

oki.., will posts shortly about it

Isn't the VBIOS chip under the big heatsink ?  I rather not remove that...

Nope, its on the back side, near to big white sticker, see the small bios chip with green sticker over it:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/I/270018/original/msi_r6850-pm2d1gd5_top.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/i/barts6850.gif/
but I got a GPU-z screenshot if that helps ?

Nope, not by this way, see here instead how we can check current version: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=144702.msg1078190#msg1078190
have you flashed your VGA VBIOS ever yet?
But its good also to read the sticker over VBIOS chip, which will show us the correct and shipped VBIOS version with the card,
then we can figure if the "TV244MS.110" is correct one for your card

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #15 on: 19-March-11, 04:17:16 »

oki.., will posts shortly about it

Nope, its on the back side, near to big white sticker, see the small bios chip with green sticker over it:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/I/270018/original/msi_r6850-pm2d1gd5_top.jpg

TV244
MS110
And that is one small chip, I think that is correct, but the CPU heatsink is kinda in the way, so hard to see it 100%

Nope, not by this way, see here instead how we can check current version: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=144702.msg1078190#msg1078190
have you flashed your VGA VBIOS ever yet?
But its good also to read the sticker over VBIOS chip, which will show us the correct and shipped VBIOS version with the card,
then we can figure if the "TV244MS.110" is correct one for your card

And no, never had to flash the BIOS on a video card before--ever.  I have owned 10 of them.

Using the RBE utility mentioned in that thread, and I load the extracted BIOS I did with GPU-Z, it shows:
10/13/10 02:52
113-C2230100-102
ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER013.007.000.002.038735
However, when I load the BIOS file that the tech support people told me to get, it says it may be corrupted.
The problem is that the 4870's (and maybe later) BIOS is 128 kB instead of 64 kB in file size. ATIFlash, WinFlash and GPU-Z 0.2.4 and earlier however read out the first 64 kB only. So, the file you get this way will be corrupted. Flashing such a file (modified using RBE or not) to the card will prevent the system from booting. RBE detected now that you specified a BIOS which has a 64 kB filesize only but utilizes GDDR5 memory. So, please double check if this file has been read out correctly! To be sure, use GPU-Z v0.2.5 or later for BIOS extracting. However, flashing (correct 128 kB sized) BIOSes using ATIFlash or WinFlash should be no problem

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 19-March-11, 04:27:38 »

TV244
MS110
And that is one small chip, I think that is correct, but the CPU heatsink is kinda in the way, so hard to see it 100%

Yes, this is correct... So this is the same version like MSI tech wanted to flash

And no, never had to flash the BIOS on a video card before--ever.  I have owned 10 of them.

Using the RBE utility mentioned in that thread, and I load the extracted BIOS I did with GPU-Z, it shows:
10/13/10 02:52
113-C2230100-102
ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER013.007.000.002.038735
However, when I load the BIOS file that the tech support people told me to get, it says it may be corrupted.

I've checked TV244MS.110 as well with RBE and also recieved this warning, so its some sort of RBE false alarm,
which we can ignore.
And there is a string

"113-MSITV244MS.110 BARTS PRO HYNIX GDDR5 32MX32 BIOS"

which you seems missed while checking, which also confirm that its the same file TV244MS.110

So RMA the VGA for replacement, VBIOS flashing will do nothing more as you are already running the same VBIOS version

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #17 on: 19-March-11, 04:32:14 »

Yes, this is correct... So this is the same version like MSI tech wanted to flash

I've checked TV244MS.110 as well with RBE and also recieved this warning, so its some sort of RBE false alarm,
which we can ignore.
And there is a string

"113-MSITV244MS.110 BARTS PRO HYNIX GDDR5 32MX32 BIOS"

which you seems missed while checking, which also confirm that its the same file TV244MS.110

So RMA the VGA for replacement, VBIOS flashing will do nothing more as you are already running the same VBIOS version

I figured as much.
Thanks for the help/info, it was appreciated!

BTW, yeah, strings match.  I still find it odd one is 128k the other is 64K.
113-MSITV244MS.110 BARTS PRO HYNIX GDDR5 32MX32 BIOS
113-MSITV244MS.110 BARTS PRO HYNIX GDDR5 32MX32 BIOS     
« Last Edit: 19-March-11, 04:34:37 by Kobaltx6 »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 19-March-11, 04:41:51 »

you're welcome, hope your replacement to runs fine

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #19 on: 05-April-11, 08:37:20 »

you're welcome, hope your replacement to runs fine
The RMAed card arrived today, but there wasn't any info in the box.
It does have a new serial #, and the QC sticker now shows 03.  Not sure if this is a new card, or if they fixed the old one.

So far, so good.

Thanks again.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 05-April-11, 10:21:52 »

:biggthumbsup:
It's a new card

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #21 on: 18-April-11, 13:39:23 »

:biggthumbsup:
It's a new card

D'oh!
I am having bad luck again.
I just booted the machine (yesterday) today (been testing various things for 13 hours now), and I have been having 'tons of amdkmdap stopped responding' errors.  :confused2:
I tried to clean install with various drivers, and nothing has changed, I still get that error when I am on the desktop trying to launch almost any program.
I can't even get Kombustor to work, all it does is try to throw up a window I get those error messages or lockups.  Afterburner fires up, after repeated amdkmdap errors, and the temps and voltages are fine.

About all I can do is ;-((
System is stable using a borrowed nvidia card though.
I did try both PSUs that I have, it didn't make a difference.
My system is using a UPS, so no spikes/surges can get at the system, voltage monitor shows rails are spot on.

I guess I need to RMA again, unless you can think of something else to try ?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 21-April-11, 06:34:33 »

call msi usa to rma it, and mention the 1st RMA and they will pay for the return shipping

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #23 on: 20-May-11, 09:14:34 »

Argh.
So the 2nd RMA card arrived, and I finally had a chance to sit down and play some games.
It is doing the *exact* same thing as the original card, namely, monitor loses signal, and the card is crashed.  Doing a reset will not bring back a picture, only a power cycle will do that.
This is highly annoying. :wall:

Is the 3rd RMA the charm ?  ;-((

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 20-May-11, 09:18:21 »

Test the VGA in another machine..
3 faulty cards in a row is close to impossible

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #25 on: 20-May-11, 09:43:20 »

Test the VGA in another machine..
3 faulty cards in a row is close to impossible

Yes, already tested on my other machine, same issue. :sad:

I ruled out the PSU (2 different ones), this was a clean install of the OS as well, so that rules out that issue, using CAT 11.4 or 11.5 drivers, same thing, and tested on two different machines with different chipsets.

Only the 1st and the current card had the losing picture issue, so I assume these are all part of the same batch of cards.  The first and the current card have the black "02" sticker on it.
The 2nd card just wanted to crash on the desktop, so that is a different issue, though, that one was a '03' sticker.

Seems to me, the ones with the black '02' sticker are the old stock with the cards crashing, and you lose monitor signal.
The 1st & 3rd cards both are of the 602-v244-01sbxxxxxxxxxxx  ones.

« Last Edit: 20-May-11, 09:53:35 by Kobaltx6 »

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #26 on: 20-May-11, 10:25:43 »

Here are some videos of what is going on (though, it isn't my videos) I have the exact same problem for cards 1 & 3 (current one). :(

or

or

and the list goes on... as you can see, this isn't only a MSI 6850 issue, it seems to be a 6850 issue though.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 21-May-11, 00:56:53 »

Talk to msi again, we can't do more here.

Kobaltx6

• CORPORAL
« Reply #28 on: 22-May-11, 04:19:01 »

Talk to msi again, we can't do more here.
Yeah, was doing that, thanks again for your help.
This is more or less a way to vent, since I can't do anything for the last month with all these faulty RMA cards.  ;-((

I did manage to get a recording device, and even though the picture is low quality, and has something wrong with the lens, I am sure you guys can make out what is going on.
Here is my video, and the exact same thing happened on the original card.

Pages: [1]   Go Up