Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vga driver installation  (Read 4523 times)

marty

vga driver installation
« on: 09-July-02, 22:45:19 »

hi-
i am having a problem trying to install the Nvidia Driver 28.90 from the msi driver download page.  i have just put this system together so there is no previous nvidia drivers- just a standard driver that windows loaded.  i downloaded the file and then double clicked on it.  it just extracted a bunch of files without any setup or installation guide or application.  does anyone know what i need to do? or should i just download the nvidia driver 29.42 from the nvidia website because it is a self installing driver?  i was worried about this because i wasn't sure it wasn't on the msi page.  any help would be appreciated.  thanks.

-Marty

crAzy_caMel

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 10-July-02, 02:21:14 »

hey marty

with a packaged which is extracted to hd, you have to go to display properties, then settings tab, then advanced button and then adapter tab then click on change display device.
This will then start a wizard which you should then select drivers from a list as I will find drivers myself, then there will be a list etc, so you select have disk, and then open up the folder where package was extracted to.
It is sometimes a good idea to first show all device and select standard display adapter and reboot.  Then go through the process again to select updated adapter.

As the 29.42 seem to be a better driver set, expecially if you have a VIA based board, install these next and see if you have any improvement.  It's a good idea to learn the manual way to install drivers as alot a beta packs are not self install.

Hope this helps and I hope i haven't missed anything  lol

ps welcome back everyone :)

marty

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 10-July-02, 07:52:26 »

Thank you crAzy caMel.  
I installed the driver without any problems.  If I did update the driver to the latest one on nvidia's site, would it get rid of all the msi specific stuff in the settings menu?  should i just stick with the drivers that msi puts on their website?  

Thanks again.
-Marty

PCMCIA

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 10-July-02, 13:30:16 »

mh ..

can anyone tell me why these 28.90 drivers are "NOT Recommended to be used for VIA KT133/ KT266/ KT266A/ KM266 based motherboard "?

Is this for KT133A too?

Assaf

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • GENERAL
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 10-July-02, 23:01:31 »
  • Best Answer

• There can be stability problems with them.

I myself am using the 29.42 from nvidia and all seems well, so feel free to try any driver out (you won't damage anything).

crAzy_caMel

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 11-July-02, 03:14:54 »

in answer to marty, all of of MSI settings tabs will still be there (as MSI get there drivers from Nvidia).  Get Geforce Tweek Utilitie and all off the settings can be adjusted without going through settings menu (plus more). guru3d.com is a good site for leaked drivers and info and stuff.  if anyone knows better or different please post.

As for the 28.90 I had to tone down by MB bios to get them to run properly (in turn meant slower CPU etc).  And they were critical if FSB was even 1 mhz above norm.  29.42 are good in the fact bios is set flat out and were stable for OC and run so smooth and clear.  (includes kt133A, as thats what I have)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up