Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no video output with MSI P67A-GD65 B3 Intel P67 Socket 1155 board  (Read 3862 times)

psychotic bovineTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello, first time posting and this is with a very frustrating problem
I have just purchased a new MSI MB, MSI P67A-GD65 B3 Intel P67 Socket 1155 and the only video card that will produce ANY video is an old nvidia 6800gto that is on it's last legs (blurry, distorted video).

Here is my setup:
MSI P67A-GD65 B3 Intel P67 Socket 1155 MB
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4Ghz Unlocked LGA1155 CPU
Seagate 1TB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/32MB/SATA-3G
(2) Corsair Vengeance 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Black Mid-T Case
Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA

Ok, here is the whole story:
My friend who has built dozens of systems with not a single problem and I started this build weeks ago.
We originally installed a evga nvidia gts 450 video card along with the above mentioned components.
So, first time we started up the machine it gave the usual POST beep and the usb beeps that this board does, but no video at all.  None, not even a flash on the screen.  We checked all connections for power and everything else, removed the video card and reinstalled, but still nothing.
So, logically, we thought the gpu card was bad.  I had another card, an ancient nvidia 6800 gto 256 meg pci-e card sitting around that was displaying horrid, blurred graphics and was probably on it's last legs, but still working.  We installed that old 6800 and we had video.  Very blurry, nearly unreadable video, but we were able to get into the bios and confirm that the mb was showing 8 gigs of memory and the i7 2600k processor.
Ok, we assumed the gts 450 card was the culprit, so I rma'd it and got a new one sent.  We tested that one and no video again.  We installed this card in another computer and it worked fine, so the gts 450 card is fine. 
Someone mentioned the power supply, as Ultra doesn't have a good reputation supposedly. I bought a brand new thermaltake 850w unit and installed it. Still no video, except with that crappy, half dead 6800 video card. 
I went and purchased a new video card, one that did not have a 12 volt power connector:  a geforce gt 520 pci-e Still no video, but the 6800 gto messed up card still works on it.
Called MSI and they said to send it to them and they would test it and maybe send a new board, or maybe send the same one back.
I called Tiger Direct (where I got all of this) and they graciously rma'd the msi MB, and a new one is on the way.
So, my question is this:  after all of this messing around, is it likely this is the board? Or did I rma the wrong part?
My friend says he has NEVER had an issue like this before.
Why would ONLY a half fried old 6800 gto pci-e card work, and nothing else will?
I really want some input.
thanks!

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users

So, my question is this:  after all of this messing around, is it likely this is the board? Or did I rma the wrong part?

Let's put is this way: since you already RMAed the board, we probably don't need to speculate on this question at the moment.  The mainboard exemplar you had could have been a potential cause, and that is enough for now. We'll see about that when you get either the same board back (if they don't find any problem with it) or get a new one.

--------------------

There is not much testing you can do at the moment, so I'll suggest some things until you have a motherboard in front of you:

- test he board on a non-conducting surface in barebone configuration (CPU + heatsink, only one(!) stick of RAM, video card, keyboard, power connectors, nothing else)

- triple check the way the CPU is seated (the PCI Express Interface is part of the CPU, not the mainboard --> bent socket pins and/or a heatsink that is fastened too tight can have a potential effect on PCI Express functionality

- test the video card(s) you have in the primary as well as the secondary PCI Express slot, just to see if there is any difference

- make sure you >>Clear CMOS<< properly after assembling the system in barebone configuration and after every hardware change

• PRIVATE E-2

thanks.  Knowing that the pci-e is connected with the cpu helps out in my diagnosis.
As far as rma'ing the board, I sent it back to Tiger Direct, as their turn-around is faster (that had no problem with this, since the mb manufacturer was going to take a while).
We did check the ram in different slots (and only one at a time). 
When I get the new board, will try this all again.  If the board is not the issue, I will guess the cpu as the culprit as there are not a lot of parts left to check!  It just is weird that a half fried old video card works where the new ones don't.

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users

It just is weird that a half fried old video card works where the new ones don't.

Yes, that is indeed weird as one would usually assume that a defect on the board/processor side of things would result in a failure of all video cards to give something out on the screen.

One more thought, though: Did you check for any problems on the monitor-side of things (different monitor, different DVI or VGA cable)?  Perhaps all those cards gave out something to the screen, but the only signals that came through to the monitor were those of the old card (perhaps because of slightly different (older standard) signal modulation or something like that.

• PRIVATE E-2

well, i will admit we didn't check the monitor.  and if it turns out to be that, I am gonna be sorely upset at myself!
On second thought, we did check the monitor with an older pc with the gts 450 graphics card, so my guess is the monitor is fine.
When we get the second board, will post if things work or not.

• PRIVATE E-2

Well, after all this hassle, it ended up being a monitor that could not take the output frequency of the video card.  Took my dell flat panel over to my friend's house and everything worked fine.  How embarrassing!
At least my uber build works now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up