Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winki3?  (Read 2395 times)

Chester Cheeze

• Neo
Winki3?
« on: 11-May-11, 20:48:30 »

I have a new MSI E350IA-E45 mother board.  I have 8GB of DDR3-1333 DRAM and 128GB SATA3 SSD on board.  I can bring up the BIOS and the EFI shell.  But I can't get the Winki3 DVD ROM to boot from a USB DVD drive.  I can list the contents of the drive from the EFI shell, but it will not boot from it.  And I can find no way to trick the EFI shell into booting, especially since it appears to be lacking network drivers.

Does MSI provide any documentation other than the nearly worthless 47 language fold-out map and 32 language micro-print pamphlet? For example, on their EFI BIOS?

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: Winki3?
« Reply #1 on: 11-May-11, 20:53:54 »

Have you tried with F11?
Or tried to boot the DVD itself?

Chester Cheeze

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 11-May-11, 22:07:06 »

The DVD will not boot, period.

I have tried the F11 menu - where is that documented?  I get options "Built-in EFI shell", "UEFI: TEAC DV-W28S-V D.0A" and "Enter Setup".  Both of the first two options plop me into the EFI shell.

For what it's worth, there is no "*.efi" or "startup.nsh" at the root directory of the MSI Winki3 DVD ROM.

The EFI version is "Version 2.1.0 [4.640]" "Currently running mode 1.1.2", the BIOS is "E7698AMS V1.4".  When I try to "ping" I get "Exit status code: Not Found".  When I try "ifconfig" I get "Ifconfig: locate protocol error - 'Ip4Config Protocol'", when I try "ipconfig" I get "ipconfig: locate protocol error - 'Simple network protocol'".  Yes, I believe I have captured the exact capitialization, which I find worrisome because it indicates to me that each error message is uniquely stored as-is, implying there is no comprehensive error reporting code, just ad hoc printf's left to whichever coder happened to touch that code last.  FWIW, I am a software and electrical engineer; I've been doing it professionally for over 30 years.

green_builder

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 12-May-11, 00:17:56 »

I managed to boot from the DVD successfully. But I first had to change the boot order in the bios. By default it has a USB-DVD boot way low down. After I brought this up in priority then it worked just fine.

But installing Winki3 didn't really do the job for me, because it didn't display properly on my large monitor in max resolution. So I installed Suse 11.4 instead. I think these EFI shell and Winki installs are really for special purposes where an instant or near-instant startup is required.

Chester Cheeze

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 12-May-11, 00:48:47 »

I have experimented with boot order, to the point of eliminating all but one boot method, with no success.  How did you manage to load SuSe?  I'm trying to install Debian.  No luck with a Debian install image, no luck with a live image on a USB flash drive.  And no luck even loading Winki3, which would be a step forward for me - did you use a USB device or a SATA DVD ROM?  From the LEDs built into the USB flash and the USB DVD ROM, I can see that they are accessed but there seems to be something missing, causing a failure.  In keeping with excellent software system design, that failure is not reported to the user - a silent error.   Sure, the hex driver enumeration codes are displayed ("B4 hangup" anyone?), but there is no failure message for something as high level as boot failure.  And not a single line of documentation at MSI for their UEFI BIOS.  Not that a lot of this is actually MSI's doing, it is all AMI's bogus code, and I know what kind of hacks work at BIOS companies (I would rather do the work myself than hire one).  But it is apparent that MSI couldn't even be bothered to properly customize it ("OEM String here").

Interestingly, the "set" command shows "path" set to ".;cd13b0a1:\efi\tools;cd13b0a1:\efi\boot;cd13b0a1:" where "cd13b0a1:" is the USB DVD ROM drive, but those directories do not exist.  I think I will try wiping all CMOS data to clear the NVRAM and start over again.

In the meantime, since I have gotten zero traction with MSI, it looks like the board is getting closer to being shipped back to NewEgg and 1 star awarded to it.  MSI's "solve it among yourselves" apparent attitude is not cutting it with me.

Chester Cheeze

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 12-May-11, 01:05:56 »

Clearing the CMOS NVRAM has made a significant difference: now Winki has booted off the USB DVD ROM.  I am getting the idea that this particular board was an RMA that NewEgg happily reboxed and shipped to me, ala Fry's.

I will now continue to forge forward installing Debian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up