Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 990FXA-GD80 - Does not start anymore  (Read 5712 times)

kalebmartens

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
990FXA-GD80 - Does not start anymore
« on: 26-August-11, 07:26:18 »

OK, I have read almost every post in the MSI forums about the 990FXA-GD80 debug errors 54 and FF and I have decided to post a message of my own, and I have also E-mailed the support team about my issue and will be calling them tomorrow morning.

I just put together a brand new computer and I am using this Motherboard with 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz RAM. When I first started it up for the first time i was able to start loading windows 7 until I got a blue screen of death. Then after restarting numerous times I can get into my BIOS it freezes on me after 6-8 seconds, but before it freezes I am able to see that the BIOS recognizes the 16gb of RAM running at 1033mhz. Now my computer wont boot up and I keep seeing the error message FF or 54, and sometimes I get the 3-beeps to go along with that. I have done everything by taking out my memory and putting only one stick in or putting in 2 sticks for Dual Channel, I've cleared my CMOS twice. My computer still wont boot any longer and I cant even load an OS on my brand new shiny SSD.

I know this must be a memory issue all the clues point to this. But :censored:  do I do, I don't even have Windows OS loaded onto it and I cant even get into my BIOS. What can I do?? Do I have to get new memory? What kind of memory do I get? Shouldn't 16gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM work?!??!?!

I have also heard about updating the BIOS to 11.2 but I don't know how to do that, and plus how could I when I can't even boot into the damn BIOS.

BTW I have a AMD 1100T Phenom II CPU installed along with a radeon 6870, but I know these aren't the issue the damn memory is from all the threads I've read in this forum.

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #1 on: 26-August-11, 08:39:57 »

What PSU is in your system?

Have you tested your system outside the case on a non-conducting surface?  In case you haven't, please do that first.

kalebmartens

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 26-August-11, 09:27:51 »

I bought a brand new Seasonic X-series 650W 80 plus Gold.

the first thing i did was do a bench test outside the case with just the Motherboard, CPU, 4-sticks of memory, and video card. It seemed to run just fine, the only thing that popped up was "WARNING! the last over-clocking attempt failed, press f1 for set-up press f2 for .." or something along the lines of that. Which is weird cause I've never booted up any of this equipment before ever, its all brand new.

But I can run another bench test, I'll take it all out of the case and do the same thing I did the first time and see what happens. I'll put in all 4 sticks of 4gb memory as well as clear the CMOS.

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #3 on: 26-August-11, 09:29:03 »

But I can run another bench test, I'll take it all out of the case and do the same thing I did the first time and see what happens.

:biggthumbsup:

I'll put in all 4 sticks of 4gb memory

No, please test with just one(!) memory stick for now.

86sixsix

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 26-August-11, 11:08:56 »

one stick'll work as it'll be single channel :grin:  2 sticks'll work so long as they're next to each other, 3 will if the board decide's to go 'ganged'...  4...  well, it might post if you can tell it to be ganged beforehand, if it defaults to dual channel unganged at 1600 then you're SOL.

this dude's got the same thing going on as me.  i only got further as i've got an OS to start with so i can see what's happening.

jack, if kalebmartens' board is shot, then mine's shot, wokie's is shot, elude's is shot.  we've either all got dead boards or flaky bios.

dual channel on 990fxa-gd80 at 1600 and still have all your ram made available to the OS = fail.

this isn't a clocking thing, it's not an xmp thing...  it's a not very well written (new chipset?) bios module that hates 1600 DC and really hates corsair.

get a support ticket done if you've not kalebmartens.  there's at least 3 of us just on here with the exact same problem.
FX 8150 @ 4.0 4.1 4.2 (200 x 20 base) 1.2875v
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 @ 800 DC (1:4) 8 8 8 24 1T 1.5v
MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II OC @ 933 2250 1.025v
Corsair HX-650W 56amps @ 11.98v
MSI 990FXA-GD80 running BD3

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #5 on: 26-August-11, 11:11:11 »

1600 on any AMD CPU incl AM3 is overclocking and NOT guaranteed to work.

The memory controller is inside the CPU and NOT certified to do 1600 unless you overclock.

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #6 on: 26-August-11, 14:49:54 »

Corsair Vengeance memory, isn't that meant for Intel Sandy Bridge processors?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up