Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU cooler bracket broken  (Read 1361 times)

BozoTheClone

• Neo
CPU cooler bracket broken
« on: 07-September-11, 13:47:33 »

Any clues on where to find replacement parts for MSI's K9N mainboard?  The CPU began overheating like nobody's business, so much so that it wouldn't even boot until it cooled down..  When I opened the computer up, the heat sink and fan were hanging by the top tab and not making contact with the CPU.  The lower tab had broken for whatever reason.  It had been in place and everything had been fine for three years, but hey...whatcha gonna do?

This black plastic bracket is the only part I need, but I'm not sure if it's sold separately.  I can't find any info on MSI's main pages, so I came here to pick your brains like a starving zombie.  Hope you don't mind.

The board's exact model number is K9N6PGM2-V, if it helps.

Thanks, all.

TeaAndToast

• Easy OC
Re: CPU cooler bracket broken
« Reply #1 on: 07-September-11, 14:27:11 »

Your looking a retention bracket.  Look through ebay's buy it now. If you search use "retention bracket am2"  Not sure if they sell them without the back plate, which is increasing the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Generic-Replacement-retention-Bracket-AMD-AM2-AM3-/370534727486?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item5645973f3e

Grayone

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Xpower
DKA790GX Platinum w/Phenom II 960T unlocked to 6 cores
4 gig GSkill DDR2 800 @5-5-5-15-2T
N460GTX & N450GTS
Corsair 650TX  12v-52 amps
Windows XP-SP3

G31-M7 w/Q9400 @3.28GHz @1.312v
2Gb DDR2 800 @5-6-6-15-2T
GTX460 Hawk video card
Seasonic 520 Watt S-12 12v-40amps
Windows XP-SP3 - Folding 24/7

BozoTheClone

• Neo
Re: CPU cooler bracket broken
« Reply #3 on: 08-September-11, 00:22:39 »

Bingo.  Exactly what I needed on both counts.  XSFans, which goes by "Lumpy Oats" on eBay, offers the bracket both with and without the mounting plate.

Much gratitude to TeaAndToast and Grayone for the prompt reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up