Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Wind power cut  (Read 1892 times)

jimmyy

• Winki
MSI Wind power cut
« on: 25-October-11, 11:35:38 »

Hi,

First of all I'm very happy to have found you.

I have an MSI Wind U100 that started a few days ago to behave strangely. Every now and then(I couldn't discover a rule) it just looses all the power, it's like a power cut even though the battery is charged. to be more explicit:

I turn on the U100, it boots, and then sometimes after a few seconds, the power supply is immediately cut off, similarly with pressing the power button for a few seconds. The battery is charged is not empty for sure. It happened several times with no rule, and it's not all the time that it happens.

I removed the battery and placed it back several times. So far with the AC on it did not behave strangely, but I use it mainly on battery.

I bought the U100 4-5 years ago, so it's out of warranty.
Any ideeas where to start digging? I checked the Windows application and system report but nothing appears there.
I'm a bit afraid that the internal components (HDD...) might get damaged and also it's very annoying...

Thank you,\
Jimmyy

jimmyy

• Winki
Re: MSI Wind power cut
« Reply #1 on: 25-October-11, 11:37:09 »

I forgot to mention that when I reboot after these instantaneously power cuts, the Wifi is off, meaning that I have to re-activate it by using the FN + F11 combination and then it works.

Jimmyy

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #2 on: 25-October-11, 11:41:57 »

This definately sounds like a problem with the battery, as it only happens when A/C power is unplugged.

It does not necessarely mean that the battery is failing, rather, I'd suspect a connection problem.  Check the contacts and also check if the battery somehow appears to be loose.

jimmyy

• Winki
« Reply #3 on: 01-April-12, 20:30:49 »

Hi,

After fixing the broken LCD, after I added 2GB of RAM, after re-installing Windowns XP Home from scratch, now the problem with the charging re-appeared.

Now the charging is very moody, sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Initially I thought that this is a connection problem that the charger is not properly plugged in, and sometimes while moving it it was working, and then after 2 sec, it was not working anymore.

It is very strange, because sometimes it charges with no problem I can push the chrager head (plugged in the netbook) in all directions and it still shows as charging.

I opened it 3 times again to check if there is any problem with the electricity socket (connected to the motherboard, where the charger is plugged in), but there is no problem.

The charging light is not turned on at all even when the laptop is switched off. Wihtout the battery but charing it does not work either.

I feel very stupid, because I put a lot of energy into fixing it, and now it does not want to charge. I bought it in 2007, so it has 5 years already, but now with 2GB of RAM and new Windows it woruns smoothley, and I wouldn't want to replace it.

Any ideeas?
Thanks

Shady

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 09-April-12, 13:42:37 »

There are two possible causes to your problem:

Either the battery is old enough to be replaced now. That is because this kind of batteries is being consumed within 4 years at maximum.

Or the inner fan is not working.

monzo

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 09-April-12, 16:29:50 »

Not sure about MSI but Apple used to have Power supply boards that could cause this problem. The battery if 5 years old is definately more likely to b the culprit however.

Try turning on the wind with battery connected and the ac connected. If it gets to the desktop, log out, remove ac and leave it till the wind dies. Another way is just boot into the BIOS screen and leave till it dies. Fully recharge it again then try using it.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #6 on: 09-April-12, 19:23:39 »

If it gets to the desktop, log out, remove ac and leave it till the wind dies.

Do NOT do this!! As such behavior is THE way to kill Lithium-Ion batteries very rapidly.
It's even dangerous to abuse these batteries like this.

monzo

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 09-April-12, 22:40:35 »

I apologise if you think I have given the wrong advice. Don't understand though. If the battery is the problem it will cut off long before you damage it. Its 5 years old and is probably well 'damaged' already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up