Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MSI Motherboard G31TM-P21 bios recovery  (Read 6543 times)

dustger89

• Neo
New MSI Motherboard G31TM-P21 bios recovery
« on: 11-January-12, 18:07:37 »

So I just got a new motherboard delivered to me yesterday from Newegg and installed it right away. At first it was working fine I just had a few other problems going on, just put a newly bought Pentium Dual core inside it and was trying to increase the processor speed thru the bios bus clock. So what happened was my friend recommended me trying to get to 3.8 ghz (originally 3.00 ghz), when I was currently on 3.3 ghz or so from increasing the bus clock to 220 (default 200). That seemed to be working out fine so I decided I'd try to get to 3.8. The bus clock on that turned out to be 254, and at the time I didnt even think about lowering ratios or ram/gpu affections. I restarted after saving the settings and then my computer started to just stop loading all together. It was like it was trying to load everything normally but would stop at random points and stay on whatever screen was there last.

So now comes the problem, after a few reboots of freezing, I finally ended up just getting a Bios recovery requested screen before any type of other screen shows up. Its telling me to put in a usb with the bios file for the motherboard. I've had my friend helping me look up problems and we've tried soo many tests, all of them resulted in the same bios recovery screen.
-Using 1 stick of unnaffected RAM
-Clearing CMOS by taking out battery for at least 5 minutes
-CMOS Jumper clearing

I've also tried to create a bootable USB for bios flashing and put in the latest bios file and flash tool onto the USB. That results in a screen saying,
"Please copy latest BIOS file into USB flash drive to recover your BIOS
File not found"
then it loops that until I take out the USB or turn off the computer.
Also there is no FSB switch on my motherboard like there is supposed to be, there is an empty square with 6 solder holes on the board so I cant toggle the FSB back to default using those switches.

I was using this to make a usb bootable for bios flashing: http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm
and I was using these files from MSI to transfer on USB after making bootable USB: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G31TM-P21.html#/?div=BIOS

So... if anyone can help me to make this work at all I would very much appreciate it. Once I get the bios working again (assuming I can) I'm keeping to default.

dustger89

• Neo
Re: New MSI Motherboard G31TM-P21 bios recovery
« Reply #1 on: 12-January-12, 20:24:33 »

So... no one knows anything? Seems to me that I would only need an updated bios file on a usb flash drive and insert when its asking on boot. The problem is that the latest bios file for the motherboard gives me that error...
So is it just having problems reading the file or is there really something past what the msi site has?

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 12-January-12, 21:32:08 »

>>Posting Guide<<

>>Clear CMOS Guide<<

(Make sure when clearing the CMOS that you unplug the power cord).

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

dustger89

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 13-January-12, 00:19:59 »

Well with the CMOS clearing I already did all of the above, except I left out the battery for 5 minutes, and ended up with the same result for bios recovery. I want to clarify that I cannot even get to the BIOS, as soon as I boot with that motherboard I get an instant black screen with text telling me to insert a USB flash drive with the latest BIOS file. There is no type of menu or anything of any kind.

The specifications of this build was:
MSI G31TM-P21, MS-7529 Version 1.6 (New motherboard)
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.00GHz (New Processor)
2 x1GB of DDR2 667 or 800 not sure (same ram on my old motherboard)
Nvidia 8600GT 256 MB DDR3 (same card on old motherboard)
300W Power supply (efficient enough to run old build)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Thats about all I can think to add right now that you would possibly need. I know the 2 x1GB of memory still works, as its in my old motherboard again and thats what I'm currently on. I dont have any other way of testing if the Processor was fried, but I'm pretty confident that it was capable of that overclocked speed since there were reviews saying so. If there's any other way I can help please let me know what u need, I would love to get this working.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #4 on: 13-January-12, 00:34:43 »

Insert a USB stick with the last BIOS you used before the bad-flash, FAT32 formatted!
Meaning it must be the BIOS that you had before the flashing.

dustger89

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 13-January-12, 01:19:56 »

I never flashed tho is what I'm saying, the original post is that I only tried to increase the bus clock from 200 - 220 (Successful) then 220 -> 254 fsb (which is where it failed to boot). I never flashed and even making the USB drive bootable doesnt matter cause it only wants the file of the latest bios, which when I put that in, it tells me to put in the latest bios file. So thats why I'm so very confused, it seems like its failing to read the bios file from the site I linked on my first post.
Also I have no idea what current bios file this mobo had to begin with, I had it working in my computer for about an hour before I tried to increase fsb thru the bios. And apparently the "latest" doesnt work.
« Last Edit: 13-January-12, 01:22:55 by dustger89 »

dustger89

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 13-January-12, 18:39:54 »

What if I put all of the BIOS versions on a flash drive together? Assuming they have different names, wouldnt it try to read for the BIOS it wants? Or would I have to try individual BIOS files to see if one works?

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #7 on: 13-January-12, 19:10:22 »

I think you blown the motherboard to pieces on your Great Friend advise.

Probably due to this:

300W Power supply (efficient enough to run old build)

There is no way such a PSU can run that system without things start to pop.
Get a good PSU, like a Corsair CX500 and then try again.

dustger89

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 13-January-12, 20:12:36 »

So yeah I tried what I was asking about in my previous post and it worked. It read the correct file out of 8 total and I was able to flash update the BIOS. Now I'm on it and its working fine woot!

BTW the 300W power supply was good enough to run a hotter burning Pentium D with the same build (except Motherboard) so I see no reason why it wouldnt run a lower Wattage CPU, if anything I'm now using less power all together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up