Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A75A-G55 8GB Memory problem on Win 7 64bit (only recognizes 3,47GB)  (Read 4202 times)

sullthan

• Winki

I bought some days ago a new system:

MB : MSI A75A-G55
Memo: 2x4GB GSkill 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 DDR3 : F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
CPU: AMD A8-3870

It works fine, but i have this problem, on Control Panel -> System it says " Mem installed 8GB ( you can use only 3,47GB) " it doesn't say exactly this thing with those words , but its that. i was looking for some config on bios to reduce the mem the system save for ...i don't know graphics maybe ? I'm looking for a way to fix that problem and have not all the mem because i know some mem is shared with the IGP on the cpu but not for sure 4GB.
On  AMD System monitor App. it says :

Hardware reserved (including graphics) : 4639MB
The rest ...3553MB (In use/Modified/Standby/Free)

If i can change it on the bios , pls tell me where is the option in it because i didn't fin it.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk

Looks like on of your sticks isn't working properly.

>>Memtest86<<

kippie

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Afterburner

Memory is OK,
reserved + free = total memory
    4639 + 3553 = 8192MB = 8GB
MSI News            MSI News            MSI News
MSI Whitebook M635 (MS-1029) ; AMD Turion MT40 2.2GHz ; Windows XP Pro x64 SP2
MSI Wind Netbook U270-086NL (MS-1245) ; W7 HP x64 ; Linux XFCE 4.8
FAH: 2x MSI N9800GTX-T2D512 ; AMD Phenom 9750 ; INTEL Q9450 ; INTEL E8400

sullthan

• Winki

I tried to run Memtest 86 , and first thing it says Memory installed : 3569MB , the tests were fine so i check the Ram on BIOS and it says 8192MB , so maybe the problem is with the bios ??

vertical

• Winki

I had the same problem as you. M/b A75MA-G55. I was trying for a weekend to find solution. I upgraded BIOS and the last thing I tried was to install the 2 DIMMs in single channel mode and saw that it was recognized in full 8GB in BIOS (with the penalty of not running in full capacity of the dual channel). In dual channel, BIOS could see both DIMMs but was recognizing only half of the RAM (4GB). I took it back to the store I bought it and verified that it had a problem with EVERY RAM brand they tried. I got a replacement and voila, 8GB in BIOS, 7.49 in Windows.

sullthan

• Winki

Wich Ram did you have ? same as me GSkill ? and wich one did you buy , or was a problem with the MB ?
« Last Edit: 23-January-12, 02:23:27 by sullthan »

vertical

• Winki

I have this:

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/value-select-memory-upgrades/cmv4gx3m1a1333c9.html

2 of those, total of 8GB. The RAM had no problem. Tried it in other PC and it was showing fine as 8GB (2x4GB). It was a motherboard issue and it was sent for RMA. In dual channel, it was recognizing both DIMMs but the system was getting half of the RAM. In single channel mode, it was showing full RAM but it is pointless to go for single channel considering that the negative effect especially in GPU will be big enough.

They replaced it with a brand new A75MA-G55. In the beginning I was afraid that the new m/b will also have the same issue but I was wrong. And it worked with the original BIOS, didn't have to upgrade (although I upgraded later).

You should try yours in single channel, one DIMM in black and one in blue socket. See what happens.

sullthan

• Winki

ok Vertical , thank you very much for the help im going to try , and ill put the result of it.

sullthan

• Winki

i tried what you said , and i had the same result ...it works fine and windows says now : [Memory installed 8GB (7,49GB usable)] So im going to talk with the shop and change the MB for a new one

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk

[Memory installed 8GB (7,49GB usable)]

This is normal as the videocard is onboard and needs memory too.
There is nothing wrong with the board.

If you plug a videocard in it will free the onboard videocard and thus the needed memory for it.

sullthan

• Winki

This is normal as the videocard is onboard and needs memory too.
There is nothing wrong with the board.

If you plug a videocard in it will free the onboard videocard and thus the needed memory for it.

That isn't the problem, i know system memory share some mem with the on CPU videocard, the problem is the MB cant detect the full memory when you plug in it on the right way , it means , dual channel ...2 modules in the same color slot, as the MB manual says 2 and 4 , both are blue and if you install modules like that you activate dual channel mode, but on that way System only recognize 4GB if you change one of this to a black slot ( other slot, 1 or 3 ) the system detects 8GB but you loose the dual channel mode and i bought a MB with dual channel , i want the thing i paid for ( isn't only this, with shared mem between system and IGP on CPU that loose decreases a lot the performance of the graphics system too). Sry for my bad English but i think you can understand what I'm trying to explain, as Vertical said on a post before mine.

vertical

• Winki

sullthan, take it back for RMA. Exactly same problem as the one I had but don't bother trying more. Single channel has a huge impact on the 6550D in the APU.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

Don't know, perhaps the memory sticks are not identical enough(?) to make up good kits, respectively.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk

Ah ok, so not all modules are seen.
Check the CPU for bent pins, as the memory controller is inside the CPU.

Else try some el-cheapo memory, as we seen all to many problems with Gskill.

Mem installed 8GB ( you can use only 3,47GB)

Typical this means bad memory.
Windows XP and Vista used to crash over this, Windows 7 simply avoids the bad memory and runs.

In short, borrow some known to be good memory from a friend and plug that in, see what happens.

vertical

• Winki

Ah ok, so not all modules are seen.
Check the CPU for bent pins, as the memory controller is inside the CPU.

Else try some el-cheapo memory, as we seen all to many problems with Gskill.

Typical this means bad memory.
Windows XP and Vista used to crash over this, Windows 7 simply avoids the bad memory and runs.

In short, borrow some known to be good memory from a friend and plug that in, see what happens.

All modules are seen. But it sees half RAM from each. The problem I had was a bad motherboard. My RAM was certified by MSI that it works with A75MA-G55 according to their support.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

If all modules are seen all memory is accounted for, there is something else the matter.
The memory you link to seems not to be sold in kits, but as single pieces. Then Dual Channel etc. may not work. You could try lowering the speed in MHz, but likely your sticks are to different from one-another.
Here is another good thing from that link:
"I have two Corsair Memory modules that work fine together but when I add two more modules of the matching part number, they won’t work.

Each kit of Corsair Memory is tested to run at its advertised settings in the configuration in which they are sold.  If you purchase a 4GB kit (2x2GB), then we can only guarantee its performance and compatibility when using it as a single kit.  To ensure the best results with more than two memory modules installed in the same system, it is best to get a kit which has been tested to run in that configuration.

While it is defintiely possible that two kits would run together in the same system, there is a chance that you may need to reduce the speed of the memory due to motherboard chipset limitations when populating more than one memory module per channel on the board.  If you have problems mixing sets, it is suggested to manually lower the frequency of the memory.
"

vertical

• Winki

If all modules are seen all memory is accounted for, there is something else the matter.
The memory you link to seems not to be sold in kits, but as single pieces. Then Dual Channel etc. may not work. You could try lowering the speed in MHz, but likely your sticks are to different from one-another.
Here is another good thing from that link:
"I have two Corsair Memory modules that work fine together but when I add two more modules of the matching part number, they won’t work.

Each kit of Corsair Memory is tested to run at its advertised settings in the configuration in which they are sold.  If you purchase a 4GB kit (2x2GB), then we can only guarantee its performance and compatibility when using it as a single kit.  To ensure the best results with more than two memory modules installed in the same system, it is best to get a kit which has been tested to run in that configuration.

While it is defintiely possible that two kits would run together in the same system, there is a chance that you may need to reduce the speed of the memory due to motherboard chipset limitations when populating more than one memory module per channel on the board.  If you have problems mixing sets, it is suggested to manually lower the frequency of the memory.
"

Since when RAM that is not sold in kits may not work? If that was the case, more than half the users (and I dare to say more) could have issues. And can someone please explain to me why the first A75MA-G55 didn't work with the RAM I had but the replacement did? If it was the RAM, it wouldn't work with the new m/b too. Also, the technical dpt of the shop I got it, tried 4 different brands of RAM, 3 were kits, and all had the same problem. Why is it so difficult to accept that h/w can be declared doa?

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk

Ask the manufacturer of the memory if it's tested with your CPU.
Most >1333 memory kits/modules are not JEDEC 1600 but overclocked 1333's and fail a lot on newer AMD CPU's.
Look inside the modules with CPU-z if they have a JEDEC 1600 profile.

Else put a 1333 stick in, see what happens.

Froggy Gremlin

• Power Edition

Since when RAM that is not sold in kits may not work? If that was the case, more than half the users (and I dare to say more) could have issues.
Been that way for several years now. And yes, many do have issues. Different batch, different maker's chip , even with the package having the identical label may not work together. The manufacturer of your RAM even has disclaimers (as well as other manufacturers) against mixing two kits of the same.

Once troubleshooting has been exhausted as to no DDR3 1333 RAM of any brand works or reads correctly in dual channel mode, & a BIOS update doesn't resolve it, RMA definately should be in the option category. :-))

Life Is Very Good Without Any Win 8/8.1, SSD's, RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

Two motherboards, right. And they did not work with the memory you chose, whichever memory that was? Sure it is not the other way around?

vertical

• Winki

Been that way for several years now. And yes, many do have issues. Different batch, different maker's chip , even with the package having the identical label may not work together. The manufacturer of your RAM even has disclaimers (as well as other manufacturers) against mixing two kits of the same.

I know pretty well how hardware works. I have been a beta tester for ATi (AMD). When I buy RAM, I always look at the chips, not just the box or the brand. Never had a single problem with RAM ever, even from the time I got SIPPs for my Atari STE.

Two motherboards, right. And they did not work with the memory you chose, whichever memory that was? Sure it is not the other way around?

First didn't work, second work. So, first m/b was doa, second m/b was not. MSI verified that ram I had was working fine in their test systems

Note: We test it dual and single channel, it show normal.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 by MSI
Pages: [1]   Go Up