Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motherboards with LAN boot option in BIOS?  (Read 1848 times)

alexbrooks54856

• Neo
Motherboards with LAN boot option in BIOS?
« on: 28-March-12, 03:21:39 »

Hello there!

I have been searching every, but for the life of me cannot find the answer. I am wondering if the MSI A55M-P33 motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641) has the ability to boot from LAN.

I was also wondering if there is a list of MSI boards that have this option.

Thank you,

Alex

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
Re: Motherboards with LAN boot option in BIOS?
« Reply #1 on: 28-March-12, 10:48:13 »

I am wondering if the MSI A55M-P33 motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641) has the ability to boot from LAN.

I just had a look at the BIOS Setup:  There is an option to Enable/Disable the "LAN Option ROM", which is the pre-condition for booting over LAN and also there is a dedicated entry in "BOOT" section of the setup, named "Network" and accordingly "NETWORK Device BBS Priorities".

So, everything seems to be there in order to boot over LAN.

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 28-March-12, 20:52:34 »

I'm going to push the boat out further, in that every MSI board from the last few years with onboard LAN has the ability to boot from LAN.

Its just that people don't know how to boot from LAN, or what its purpose is for. :laugh:
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

alexbrooks54856

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 29-March-12, 06:54:15 »

Thanks guys! I appreciate you checking!
I just wanted to make sure because I'm in the process of getting new hardware for a lab I run at my college, and the computers are to be connected to a PXE Server to boot over LAN, so I HAVE to make sure the board supports it, or I'm out of luck!

Its just that people don't know how to boot from LAN, or what its purpose is for. :laugh:

Haha yeah, no kidding!

alexbrooks54856

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 29-March-12, 07:01:00 »

One last question, even though it doesn't relate to this forum (it does deal with this board).

Is the AMD A55 chipset a video chipset?

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #5 on: 29-March-12, 11:41:36 »

No it's the chipset name in total, and it contains some RadeonHD version videochip, usually pretty good version.

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 29-March-12, 21:13:45 »

I just wanted to make sure because I'm in the process of getting new hardware for a lab I run at my college, and the computers are to be connected to a PXE Server to boot over LAN, so I HAVE to make sure the board supports it, or I'm out of luck!

Years ago, I worked at a computer manufacturer, and we used various MSI boards in our systems, we would boot the systems from LAN in order to run Norton Ghost from a server to install pre-built disk images. We're talking MSI K7N2 Delta and 865PE era boards here! However, we'd pop in some generic PCI LAN card in for this purpose, just so we had one set of drivers as standard on the server. However, these systems had no problems booting from LAN, even then. So I can't see any newer boards having a problem.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012
Pages: [1]   Go Up