Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI H61M-P21 (B3) Motherboard - are these beeps normal?  (Read 6606 times)

SickWillyTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Specs:
Intel i3 2120 (not over clocked)
MSI H61M-P21 (B3) motherboard - Uses AMI's BIOS (I am pretty sure)
Radeon HD 6870 - only the newest graphics drivers have been installed
8 GB Ram
500W OCZ PSU

I just purchased new parts to build my own computer and it is having issues. Before I try to diagnose the other issues I want to make sure these beeps aren't indicating the mainboard is bad, which is causing the other problems I'm having. I heard the beeps could just be "counting" the peripherals attached. But I also know the mobo beeps to indicate errors. Currently I receive 6 beeps on start up, and then an A3, then D6(I think) appears in the lower right hand corner of the screen, followed by the MSI logo. The last beep is always higher pitched. Finally the computer does boot into windows 7, but it is unstable, and the graphics crashes often.

Here's a 7 second youtube video of the beeps, for reference:

I also took all the peripherals out and started slowly adding more, noting the changes in the beeps:
No RAM, no peripherals: no beeps, turns on for 10 seconds, then off again, then on again for 10 seconds. Repeats.
1 stick of RAM, no peripherals: 3 beeps
2 sticks of RAM, no peripherals: 3 beeps
2 RAM, keyboard: 4 beeps
2 RAM, keyboard, mouse: 5 beeps
2 RAM, keyboard, mouse, HDD: 5 beeps
2 RAM, keyboard, mouse, HDD, DVD ROM: 6 beeps
2 RAM, keyboard, mouse, HDD, DVD ROM, Video Card: 6 beeps

Are these beeps normal?

badboy2k

• Global Moderator
Re: MSI H61M-P21 (B3) Motherboard - are these beeps normal?
« Reply #1 on: 11-April-12, 13:02:41 »

ok if i was you ditch the OCZ power supply! buy something else (ocz power supplys seem to cause alot of unstable computers on this forum) id recomend a corsair 600W psu!
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (bios 1.17) AM3
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Cooler: corsair H100 cooler
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's (Exception: Testing PCI-E M.2), RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE

SickWillyTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 11-April-12, 18:05:05 »

I figured out the issue. some MSI boards, apparently, give a beep for each usb device plugged into the computer. Once I removed all usb devices, I was left with 2 beeps and a high pitched beep. I've run across a couple places on the Internet of people who have the same issue (2 beeps and a higher beep). One person left it because everything was working on his computer. He updated the forum about a year later saying everything was still working. Another person RMA'd his CPU and that ended up getting rid of the final 3 beeps. So apparently it's a CPU related issue. I'm just frustrated no one from MSI has verified this information, and confused why they would implement something like that (the usb beep count) when that's usually a sign that BIOS didn't POST correctly. At least I presume it's MSI's doing, I haven't come across any other boards that do this, although to be fair I was looking for MSI specific information to match my mainboard.

Although thank you for the recent publication of AMI beep codes. I was only able to find the very dated one.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #4 on: 11-April-12, 18:36:34 »

I'm just frustrated no one from MSI has verified this information
Not sure I fully understand what is meant. The forum here? :think: This is a non official MSI user to user support forum of MSI retail products. Official information needs to be gotten from MSI Tech Support here;

http://support.msi.com

In your component list, you mention 8GB RAM but that is hardly descriptive enough. Brand and all it's specifications are helpful. Many problems can be traced to RAM compatibilities or settings. OCZ PSU's don't have a very good reputation either.
The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's (Exception: Testing PCI-E M.2), RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE

SickWillyTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 11-April-12, 18:49:42 »

I just meant I couldn't find any documentation from msi about the mainboard beeping based on the amount of USB devices connected.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #6 on: 11-April-12, 18:57:29 »

Ah, ok. If not done so, the downloadable pdf manual at the MSI Websites are usually much more comprehensive than the one supplied with the mainboards. Not sure if it talks about the long POST beep or the USB device connection beeps.

IXOYE

Henry

« Reply #7 on: 11-April-12, 19:01:05 »

ok if i was you ditch the OCZ power supply! buy something else (ocz power supplys seem to cause alot of unstable computers on this forum) id recomend a corsair 600W psu!

:agrees: Those OCZ PSUs like that are junk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up