Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z77A-G43 and CPU Voltage (i5 3570k)  (Read 23117 times)

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Z77A-G43 and CPU Voltage (i5 3570k)
« on: 16-May-12, 07:08:47 »

Hello,

I bought this mainboard for my brand new CPU, I wanted to do some underclocking profiles and some basic overclocking. The only option I have for CPU Voltage is adding some +0.00 (???)/+0.02/+0.04/+0.06 Voltages. Useless feature cause when I change the CPU to 100x40 for example. With all tweaks I can do, the mainboard uses AUTO mode and gives me high voltages, nothing to do, even if I put +0.00V in bios settings or in their software.

For stock 100x34 I have 1,040V. For 100x35 I have 1,064V.For 100x39 I have 1,088. For 100x40 I have 1,136V...I'm sad to see I can't tweak the voltage at all, it's quite dangerous I think, and when we read on some reviews that this CPU can reach 100x40 (4Ghz) with little less than stock voltage...

I wanted to know if it is possible MSI gives us a Real Vcore option in next bios please ? (I tested bios 2.0/2.2/2.3).
I asked my country support (France) and here is the point :

"Hello, I would know if you could add a real VCore option please on your next bios ? I am shocked to see I can't decrease it on my brand new i5 3570K. All I can do is raising it with ridiculous low values which are +0/+0.02/+0.04/+0.06 in manual...I am disappointed. I don't like the AUTO mode which is not what I call a "secure mode", I would want to put CPU Voltage step by step to OC it well and do a really low Vcore profile too, I can't do it well with such your options. Please add the real CPU Voltage feature to this good mainboard (Z77A-G43), it's a Z77 chipset after all. This is my first MSI mainboard, I didn't know it was possible to not let people change CPU Voltage nowadays, I'm sad. Thank you for your understanding, I hope you would do something about it really soon (in the next bios). "

MSI Response :

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.

Regarding your concern,we have checked with relative engineers,in order to protect the MB and cpu,the cpu core voltage has limited.Sorry for any inconvenience caused! 

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,
MSI Technical Support Team

Hmmm, I was thinking it was a MSI product, I'm disappointed. On the box I can read this : "Military Class III

MSI mainboards maintains the commitment to product stability and reliability by introducing Military Class III components including SFC and Solid CAP which have passed MIL-STD-810G certification, making MSI's Military Class III components synonymous with premium quality and ultimate stability."

And the support team tells me that they didn't put a basic Vcore option (even 0.80 to 1,5V would have been satisfying) to protect the MB and my CPU ??? Protect against what ? I wanted to underclock and use stock speed for higher multiplicator...enjoy my new CPU...this is not a serious response I think...AUTO Cpu Voltage is the danger.
Is this a cheap low cost bad feature mainboard ? Z77, PCI-e 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0, no basic Vcore option ?????
Other products form Gigabyte or other which are less expensive got a basic Vcore option. I'm sad.

So, please tell me that MSI will add a basic CPU Voltage option in the next bios on Z77A-G43 for Ivy Bridge CPU.
I'm sad I would have to send back this mainboard cause I'm not satisfied...AUTO Cpu voltage is dangerous for CPU...that's my point.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
Re: Z77A-G43 and CPU Voltage (i5 3570k)
« Reply #1 on: 16-May-12, 11:12:36 »

For 100x40 I have 1,136V

:think: That's nothing.

Recognized industry CPU V. recommended maximum limit for everyday use is 1.400v's, so if set to Auto it doesn't exceed that, there shouldn't be any anticipated problem. The components are still high end on lesser mainboards, there just isn't as many of them. They are not going to put on it dozens of VRMs and 22 Phases. The user to user community here is not going to tell you that MSI is going to add any additional CPU V. options.

The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's (Exception: Testing PCI-E M.2), RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 16-May-12, 11:22:03 »

:think: That's nothing.
The availability to do 100x40 with 1,000V is better isn't it ? And here I can't because of the AUTO mode. That's my point.

And trying 4,4Ghz with AUTO mode gives me the same voltage as 4,2Ghz but...It's not stable with 4,4Ghz, neither 4,3Ghz, only 4,2Ghz with this auto step voltage.
So it's impossible for me to do 4,4Ghz or else maybe to push the next auto step for 4,5Ghz and more ? Crazy isn't it ?
That's why I would want a real CPU Vcore feature.

The user to user community here is not going to tell you that MSI is going to add any additional CPU V. options.
Maybe some guys may have some infos, I just ask...

Bernhard

• Support the MSI Red Rockets Team Members 나는 한국을 사랑
  • GENERAL
  • Read the user manual first. Properly
« Reply #3 on: 16-May-12, 11:56:21 »

Maybe its not so much the BIOS as it is the Intel chipset and CPUs.  :think:
>> Ivy Bridge Review <<
According to our sources, that we cannot mention due to obvious reasons, system builders/integrators are not happy with Ivy Bridge at all, as apparently production parts can only go as high as 4.4GHz.

The results in numerous tests have not been as fantastic as is maybe expected by the user community.
1.B350F Gaming; R5-1600; Crucial MX300 275GB, Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D240FSC 2X8gb; Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8gb; Seasonic750W; Win10-64; LG DVD
2.FUJITSU LIFEBOOK S751 QM67;i5-2520M;2 X 4GB 1333Crucial CT256 MX100; Win10-64; Orico Dual Bay USB3 Dock

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 16-May-12, 12:11:39 »

Yes I know it's not a 5Ghz possible CPU.
But I just can't perform a 4,4Ghz stable due to Bios CPU V. restrictions neither I can do a 4Ghz underclocked profile. That's the thing that makes me sad.

If I would have wanted to go 5Ghz I would have chosen a 2500k but I wanted the native support technology included in the 3570k to keep it some years.
I come from a E6600 so... ;D

RemusM

• Memory Expert
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    • Necromanthus
« Reply #5 on: 16-May-12, 12:54:40 »

MSI Response :
in order to protect the MB and cpu,the cpu core voltage has limited.

MSI mainboards maintains the commitment to product stability and reliability by introducing Military Class III components including SFC and Solid CAP which have passed MIL-STD-810G certification, making MSI's Military Class III components synonymous with premium quality and ultimate stability.
:biggthumbsup:

p.s.
Folks, you are talking about faulty activities in this topic.
You are talking about steroids for athletes.
They all get sick and die faster.
 :grin:

Mainboard: HC85
Processor: Zilog Z80 3.5MHz
System RAM: 48KB
Video RAM: 16KB (only 6912 bytes are used for Pixel Shader effects)
Video Card: integrated (16 colors)
PSU: 5V/3A

note: NO overclocking!

Noway77

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 16-May-12, 13:35:24 »

Yes I know it's not a 5Ghz possible CPU.
But I just can't perform a 4,4Ghz stable due to Bios CPU V. restrictions neither I can do a 4Ghz underclocked profile. That's the thing that makes me sad.

You cant achieve 4.4 Ghz not because of the lack of vbios options but because your mobo only got 3 power phases (maximum) to the CPU.

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #7 on: 16-May-12, 14:43:38 »

got 3 power phases (maximum) to the CPU

See here: http://www.erwincomp.com/msi-intel-ivy-bridge-z77-1155-msi-z77a-g43.html
MSI Intel LGA1155 i3/i5/i7 4DDR3 Max 32G 2xPCIEx16 2xPCIEx1 3xPCI 2Way CFX Intel400/3000 graphic 1024MB 6xSATAIII 4xUSB3.0 VGA DVI HDMI Realtek GBLan ATX. 4+1 Phase (100W+ CPU Power)

Slightly more than the 3 mentioned, but probably has its limitations.
1.B350F Gaming; R5-1600; Crucial MX300 275GB, Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D240FSC 2X8gb; Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8gb; Seasonic750W; Win10-64; LG DVD
2.FUJITSU LIFEBOOK S751 QM67;i5-2520M;2 X 4GB 1333Crucial CT256 MX100; Win10-64; Orico Dual Bay USB3 Dock

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

Noway77

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #8 on: 16-May-12, 17:00:45 »

See here: http://www.erwincomp.com/msi-intel-ivy-bridge-z77-1155-msi-z77a-g43.html
MSI Intel LGA1155 i3/i5/i7 4DDR3 Max 32G 2xPCIEx16 2xPCIEx1 3xPCI 2Way CFX Intel400/3000 graphic 1024MB 6xSATAIII 4xUSB3.0 VGA DVI HDMI Realtek GBLan ATX. 4+1 Phase (100W+ CPU Power)

Slightly more than the 3 mentioned, but probably has its limitations.

I known it has 5 but probably only 3 goes to power the CPU. 3+1+1 (CPU+iGPU+Ram)

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 17-May-12, 05:28:50 »

Some news about MSI Support service.

Here is my message :

"On the box I can read this : "Military Class III MSI mainboards maintains the commitment to product stability and reliability by introducing Military Class III components including SFC and Solid CAP which have passed MIL-STD-810G certification, making MSI's Military Class III components synonymous with premium quality and ultimate stability." Why you tell me that CPU Voltage is risky for the mainboard ? The auto mode permit it, and the mainboard is sold like an overclocking mainboard. I know how to deal with O/C, and what I find risky is to use AUTO O/C mode included which puts voltage too much (and it's the real danger) which we could lower and adjust with any other company's mainboard. I don't ask for moon, but voltage steps (0.025 by 0.025) from 0,800V to 1,600V would be a great thing. This mainboard is sold with overclocking features but it's very restrictive to not permit CPU Voltage adjustement. Please reconsider the idea of a basic manual CPU Voltage feature in bios with steps. I consider the AUTO mode Cpu voltage risky and dangerous for the CPU and for the MB. Thank your for your understanding. "

MSI :

We feel sorry for that,but it is a HW limit.We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Therefore, your understanding and forgiveness would be greatly appreciated.

So, my final point is that this mainboard is clearly not a good choice as you can't fully use your Ivy Bridge with it. I hope this post could help people in their mainboard choice.
Sorry for disturbing.

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #10 on: 17-May-12, 08:48:50 »

Sorry for disturbing.
You are not disturbing at all. Thank you for providing the official feedback.

All manufacturers have a range of boards, from the basic (economy) to the enthusiast editions in each series to cater for a range of buyers.
MSI normally brands their high end boards -GD80s (enthusiast), -GD60 (high end), -GD50s (mid range) and the -40s (lower end).
Unfortunately the lower end boards cannot be expected to provide the same features and performance as a high end board. Else there wouldn't be a price difference.
CPU manufacturers do the same and someone buying the cheaper processor cannot ask Intel to provide the same performance as the most expensive "K" processor.
It also somehow does not make sense to spend 100s of Dollars on an overclockable high end CPU and then save 30 or 50 dollars to get the cheapest MB in the series. That normally creates a mismatch when wanting to overclock to the same extent as waht others do on high end boards,  and then the questions start. Why.   

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #11 on: 17-May-12, 10:35:38 »

It also somehow does not make sense to spend 100s of Dollars on an overclockable high end CPU and then save 30 or 50 dollars to get the cheapest MB in the series. That normally creates a mismatch when wanting to overclock to the same extent as waht others do on high end boards,  and then the questions start. Why.
My problem here is that I cannot underclock neither put voltage on stock for higher multiplicator. Having 4,4Ghz with 1,100V for example (it's a "Ivy bridge", not "Sandy bridge", so the little 0,1 won is huge). I don't mind going 5Ghz with 1,65Vcore, that's why I wanted to save some money.
This is the first time I see a Bios without this manual Vcore feature but with AUTO working (and not good with "Ivy bridge"), meaning that some Vcore steps are in memory inside...  ;D
By the way I've chosen to send back this mainboard to get my money back, and forget MSI mainboards.

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #12 on: 17-May-12, 13:01:58 »

By the way I've chosen to send back this mainboard to get my money back, and forget MSI mainboards.
Having bought a MB with certain restricted functionality, knowingly or unknowingly, most certainly is not the manufacturer's fault. But its your decision and all I wonder is if you will opt for the bottom of the range series again, whichever board you purchase ?
Good Luck

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

c2DDragonTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 17-May-12, 15:24:29 »

Having bought a MB with certain restricted functionality, knowingly or unknowingly, most certainly is not the manufacturer's fault. But its your decision and all I wonder is if you will opt for the bottom of the range series again, whichever board you purchase ?
Good Luck
Thank you.
I thought the price was cheap because the 2nd PCI-e is x4 when used in Crossfire, I don't need SLI, not so many USB 3.0 connectors and only 2 SATA III, that's why I did not take higher. It was the minimum for PCI-e 3.0, Sata III, USB 3.0 (I got a Sata III SSD for now, but will take a PCI-e 3.0 card in the near future). But since there are Vcore steps written in bios with AUTO mode, I would expect some basic options like to not add Vcore at all. The support is telling that the hardware is limited. I can understand that but I think it's just they don't want add those features to force people take higher class of mainboards, it's a Z77 chipset, bios can be tweak by MSI to permit underclocking I think, maybe I'm wrong, they don't want, and the AUTO steps are too high for Ivy bridge. It's part of the business.  ;D
And it's my fault I would have been better to choose a higher class.

By the way I've chosen another board more expensive but which I'm sure I could do profiles I want to. The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (middle range series). Less expensive than the MSI Z77A-GD65. And I want to keep it 3-5 years.

I found this test : http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/intel-z77-motherboard-review-with-ivy-bridge-asrock-asus-gigabyte-and-msi/7
And people on forums say it runs smooth with Ivy bridge. This manufacturer made is reputation with Core2Duo CPU boards in the past.

It was my first MSI mainboard experience. I've got a 570GTX Twin frozr III PE/OC from MSI, it's really good in performance, finition, in O/C - Undercloking so I can't tell this manufacturer is bad.
Maybe in the future I would take a MSI mainboard for 6-8 core CPU, but in the mid/high-end class this time.  :biggthumbsup:

Thank you very much for your interest.

pepperspray

• SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 17-May-12, 16:19:35 »

this is disappointing. i'm outside of a return period for my own z77a g43, and having seen this complaint pop up in several threads on google (not all in english), i was hopeful of a bios update to improve overclocking. i've seen cheaper boards with better overclock settings, and my friend's current budget (£45) am3+ board also offers tighter voltage controls, so i had no worries that this board would be able to overclock, especially given the advertising which gives the impression of an overclock-friendly board. unfortunately the "auto" setting boosts my 3570k volts up from ~1v to nearly 1.2v at stock speeds, so overclocking isn't feasible at all. as with the OP, i thought the price of this board reflected its power phase design, lack of lucid virtu mvp, lack of sli support, a 4x pcie2 slot, cheap sound components, and cheaper heatsinks. simply, this board had everything i needed and nothing i didn't need according to paper specs.

i get that cheaper motherboards should have cheaper features, but i honestly feel that msi should not have given the impression in marketing that this board is overclock friendly when it actually isn't. it's a good board otherwise, but misleading.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #15 on: 17-May-12, 17:19:47 »

:think: After reading the specifications page at the MSI Website, I see no references as to any expected visions of grandeur with this entry level mainboard. Worldwide, professional system builders are even having a difficult time getting Ivy to do much better than 4.4. It is what it is, and any concerns, suggestions or recommendations about UEFI/BIOS changes and voltage adjustments, etc., should all be directed to official MSI channels;

>> How To Contact MSI <<

The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's (Exception: Testing PCI-E M.2), RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE

pepperspray

• SERGEANT
« Reply #16 on: 17-May-12, 17:30:18 »

i wasn't expecting anything incredible either. for a board that advertises overclockability, i was looking at everyday 4.0~4.2ghz (4.4~4.6 seems to be the higher end of air cooling, and even higher with water or ihs removal). or at least i wasn't expecting to see voltages hit ~1.16v at 3400mhz due to no voltage controls. the product page is identical to higher boards in terms of overclock marketing, and states 36% boost in oc performance. the only differences in the pages are additional physical features that you expect to pay more for. in fact if i were truly buying "entry level" and not overclocking at all, i would have paid less and bought h77, or even eschewed pcie3 in favour of the cheaper z68. like i say i wasn't looking for miracles, but a max voltage increase of 0.06 seems to be excessively unhelpful. at the very least a setting to keep the voltage static at stock volts would allow for overclocks up to ~4.0ghz without adding any extra heat or consumption, which would make overclocking very much more viable. it would even extend the life of a cpu at stock. you must understand that i'm neither saying that i've been missold a product, nor that the advertising was untruthful. neither are true, but i'm disappointed as a buyer and these are merely my own concerns and impressions. please inform me if anything i say is insulting or inaccurate.

in any case thanks for the link. OP has already contacted msi and they've replied that hardware restrictions are limiting vcore controls, so there's not much i can do, but thanks i will try contacting msi anyway.

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #17 on: 17-May-12, 17:35:53 »

but thanks i will try contacting msi anyway

:biggthumbsup: That's the best thing to do. The more that contact them, the better the chances options may be considered and/or incorportated in the future.

IXOYE

fatum

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #18 on: 17-September-12, 07:20:36 »

I'm disapointed with this mb as well  :undecided:
Because it was built on Z77 (which presumes OC functions) i thought it had normal (as other brands provide) OC settings in BIOS. However, what it has is very-very limited (BIOS version 2.4):
- no LLC setting
- no voltage offset function for CPU (without this it is impossible to OC CPU and have all energy saving functions - it is very nice to have your CPU slowed to 1600MHz if it is idle instead of running it 4.2GHz all the time)
- no DRAM voltage precise control - only 1.5, 1,65 and 1,8V - very poor.
That could save money on chiper components, worse power supply, but not on basic OC functions.
Why did they create a mb on Z77 chipset without basic OC settings in BIOS? I think i was cheated - that was my first and last mb from MSI  :nono:.

My mistake was that i had not read forums before buying it. But i knew that Z77 allowed OC - couldn't even think that it would have so poor OC functionality.

xmad

• MSI HQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Salisbury MD
« Reply #19 on: 17-September-12, 10:34:07 »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006654&IsNodeId=1&Description=msi%20z77a&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

If you pull up any companies MB line with a given chipset and you buy the cheapest ones, you have to expect they saved money somewhere. Especially when you are talking about wanting precision controls for overclocking. Anyway, perhaps if you aren't happy with your purchase you can talk to the re-seller or msi about and exchange if you pay the difference. (I did this once with a raid card that I wasn't happy with when I recieved the card)

They have made allot of improvements in the beta bios as well:
>>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161593.0
Make sure to select a "best" answer once your issue has been resolved!
Mainboard: X79A-GD65 (8D)
CPU: I7-3930K
Setting: 4.5Ghz enhanced turbo w/ speed step functioning.
Memory: Corsair Dominator 2133 CL:9  1.5v 4x4gb
Setting: 2400 CL:10
VGA: 2 x GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G (SLI)
No Overclock other than default
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 12v: 100.1 Amps
SSD: Corsair GS 256GB
Corsair Link
Cooling: Corsair H100I

costi07

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #20 on: 25-September-12, 21:52:50 »

And when you think that it has 8 pin CPU power connector.. :bonk: vrm heatsinks.. :confused2:
I wanted to buy it for the same reasons that c2DDragon bought it and for those two PCI slots located at the bottom, but considering MSI strategy ..I think I will get the GA-Z77-D3H, aldo I don't like it as much as G43.
Most likely the CPU will be 3570K.

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #21 on: 25-September-12, 22:07:56 »

This forum can only advise you on the MSI product range of boards. Other manufacturer's products are not up for discussion, read the rules.
You had the opportunity to do your homework before purchasing it. What you do now is up to you.
The board will accept and run all the listed CPUs, but it was not meant for overclocking high end CPUs. That should be common sense.  When wanting to OC, common sense should tell you that a board that is a quarter or less of the price of a CPU is just not on.

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

costi07

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #22 on: 26-September-12, 11:25:21 »

I aimed at G43 because it has those PCI slots at the bottom, and I don't really like others vendor motherboards. Already have a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and a capture card, both with PCI interface and I don't want headache seeking new cards and selling current.
I'd like to see a "G44", a G43 with more power phrase, OC settings and 90° sata connectors  ;-))
L.E. not more expensive than Z77A-G45.

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #23 on: 26-September-12, 11:42:49 »

I'd like to see a "G44", a G43 with more power phrase, OC settings and 90° sata connectors

Maybe a B75A-G43 would be a good alternative. 3 X PCI slots  http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B75A-G43.html#/?div=Detail

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

costi07

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #24 on: 26-September-12, 13:32:03 »

It's the same sh... aa.. thing with the Z77 G43, differs only chipset &  IO connectors. Same number of power phrase, and far as I know B75 is not for overclocking.
L.E. but cheaper.. :D 10q

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI
« Reply #25 on: 26-September-12, 14:29:14 »

Then simply spend some more and get Z77A-GD55. By power phrase I guess you mean power phase.
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK (MS-7A90) Bios 1.9
Core i7 7820X @ 4203.84 MHz (42 * 100.09 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.086v
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMK32GX4M4C3000C15R @ 1500 MHz (DDR4-3000), 15-17-17-35-2t 1.35v
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO
256GB Samsung 830 SSD + 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD
Corsair HX1200i • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 30A • +5V: 30A
Windows 10 Pro
Cooler Master Masterbox 5 MSI Edition

costi07

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #26 on: 26-September-12, 16:01:31 »

I would spend more but just what I said that I need PCI slots. Two of them.
And.. indeed.. power phase  :embarassed:

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #27 on: 26-September-12, 22:04:39 »

MSI in their product line up for Z77A boards have obviously decided that the real oC boards , i.e. GD55, GD65, GD80 and even the MPower don't need a PCI slot. You are not the first one to have mentioned this requirement. Unfortunately you would have to choose PCI on a lower end board, or forsake PCI on a higher end board for this chipset board.

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #28 on: 26-September-12, 23:24:40 »

I can sympathize about the PCI slots. An alternate if you can still find one to a Z77 is a Z68A-GD65(G3) or GD80(G3). Even with it, depending on the slots used, only one PCI slot may be usable. I find it very difficult to part with my favorite PCI audio cards as well. :-))

Keep in mind that a Sandy Bridge CPU is required so you can flash them to accept support for Ivy CPU's. Honestly, IMHO, unless you need PCI-E 3.0 for graphics, stick with a 2700k and Sandy BIOS's as it kicks butt over an Ivy in my experience with 3 Z68 GD80(G3)'s configured in all combinations. ;-))

IXOYE

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #29 on: 26-September-12, 23:48:29 »

unless you need PCI-E 3.0 for graphics, stick with a 2700k and Sandy BIOS's as it kicks butt over an Ivy in my experience

I second that. :agrees:   Excepting for PCIE-3, the Sandy shares the top of the league  :yes:

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

eoveintriada

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #30 on: 18-April-13, 16:27:42 »

Latest beta BIOS log (version 2.10b2) shows:

04.Adjust CPU voltage range to +0.20V for PCB 6.X.

So newest Z77A-G43 can adjust voltage so high?

Maybe you make it for all boards? +0.20V is required to make i5-3570K fully stable at 4.5-4.6GHz.

With +0.16V it's only fully stable at 4.3-4.35GHz.

mystilez

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #31 on: 19-April-13, 22:38:12 »

This forum can only advise you on the MSI product range of boards. Other manufacturer's products are not up for discussion, read the rules.
You had the opportunity to do your homework before purchasing it. What you do now is up to you.
The board will accept and run all the listed CPUs, but it was not meant for overclocking high end CPUs. That should be common sense.  When wanting to OC, common sense should tell you that a board that is a quarter or less of the price of a CPU is just not on.

Common sense? more like false marketing...
I too purchased this board @ frys being a z77 was being sold at 3/4(at that time) of the price of I5-3570k... please explain how common sense would kick in.
I too am out of return date but good thing i have a 2nd mobo different brand on hand.    Just wished MSI focused a little bit of what their "customers" are actually saying.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #32 on: 20-April-13, 07:14:37 »

False marketing? What are you talking about. It's a Z77 board supporting all cpus from Intel's socket 1155 line. Nothing else is advertised. Nobody told you to buy an oc board what would also be weird at that price level that obviously can't include a high-end power design. Common sense should have told you there must be a reason other boards cost twice as much....
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMK32GX4M4C3000C15R @ 1500 MHz (DDR4-3000), 15-17-17-35-2t 1.35v
Windows 10 Pro

Rube

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #33 on: 21-April-13, 07:27:04 »

I`m about to update my BIOS for my Z77A-G43, as official latest release on MSI website 2.8 version seems a bit outdated looking at BIOS versions released in here, what BIOS should I go with? Or would official 2.8 be the safest? Perhaps I would not go to the latest beta, I don't need that updated. I'm still on version 2.3 so I really need an update cuz lot's of fixes has been done.

I don't need much CPU OC possibilities, I like to run it at stock + turbo, for 1 core, no PLL, no enhanced turbo, or what would be a good stock + turbo settings? I mainly need turbo for core 1 (and perhaps 2) as the game I play is a 1-core game (well someone has said it a 1.5-core game)

SO what BIOS update should I get?

I'm mainly looking to squeeze some extra from my DDR3 (Kingston (KHX1600C9D3K2/8Gx) 2x4gb)). I'm going to try 1866, 2000?, 2133 and 2400 would be really nice! :)

Sorry for hogging the thread!

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #34 on: 21-April-13, 10:00:57 »

Open an own thread for your own query: >>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<
Windows 10 Pro

eoveintriada

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #35 on: 22-April-13, 03:29:05 »

False marketing? What are you talking about. It's a Z77 board supporting all cpus from Intel's socket 1155 line. Nothing else is advertised. Nobody told you to buy an oc board what would also be weird at that price level that obviously can't include a high-end power design. Common sense should have told you there must be a reason other boards cost twice as much....

Yes, but users of Z77A-G43 don't require such high OC features, only basic, but with Sandy Bridge CPUs the same board with maximum voltage transfers much more power to the CPU and gives higher voltage (as SandyBrige basic CPU voltage higher then IvyBridge), why not to make the same for Ivy Bridge? +0.2V as in PCB 6.X for all editions will be nice for all users.

Then Z77A-G43 was released only +0.06V CPU voltage can be added, then in later BIOS versions +0.16 become available.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #36 on: 22-April-13, 13:50:37 »

Ask MSI for any whys but fact is that Z77A-G43 is no oc board and is not marketed as an oc board. Therefor don't comlain because of lacking oc abilities.
Windows 10 Pro

mystilez

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #37 on: 24-April-13, 12:00:01 »

Ask MSI for any whys but fact is that Z77A-G43 is no oc board and is not marketed as an oc board. Therefor don't comlain because of lacking oc abilities.

Read what the original poster said. "Military Class product" Marketing tatics...
And you mentioned about other brands costing twice as much. false
lets say brand A being MSI and brand B being someone else.
Brand A z77a g43 vs brand B z77 will not cost twice as much. but around the same or if not $20-30 more, that will fit beginners or moderate clockers needs.

and Brand B z77's are not marketed as a oc board as well, but yet people still do it and still have the results they desire..

Bernhard

• GENERAL
« Reply #38 on: 24-April-13, 12:12:11 »

Military class products refer to a rigorous component test conducted to determine longevity and durability. These standards ensure a pre-determined set of criteria. MSI exposes their products to these defined tests and only then is allowed to add this to the boards that have been subjected to the tests.
Overclocking capabilities have nothing to do directly with Military class components. It only means that where overclocking capabilities are present, that the components on the boards will allow for bigger tolerances which may allow higher clocks to be obtained compared to standard components.
So please do not associate a boards OC ability with the fact that military components are used.
The OC ability and BIOS functions are still proportional to the range of board selected.
I frequent a lot of forums and believe me, the same type of claims come up all over with every MB mnaufacturer. People buy cheaper versions of a board and then the manufacturer is blamed if the board does not afford them the same range of adjustments in the BIOS as the more expensive boards do.
There seems to be a lack of logic when a user is prepared to spend good dollars on a K edition highest end CPU but then wants to save a couple of dollars on a cheaper board and then has the audacity to lay claim to imaginary visions of grandeur.
settle for the non-K edition CPU when you buy the cheaper version  board and refrain from making false claims.

Please feel free to peruse what the military class certification really means. http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1206.html

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

Rube

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #39 on: 24-April-13, 12:25:21 »

I'm happy with my Z77A-G43 and i5 3570K. A recent bios update from 2.3 to 2.9 - I noticed that OC-possibilities such as voltage amounts etc. that there where added stuff. And in the next bios update dramV can be set even when XMP profile is on - something that the board lacked. So BIOS updates for Z77A-G43 has improved OC possibilities. Thank you. But of course, even more, is more, in this occasion.

There's no reason to keep stuff away/hidden in BIOS even if it's a "low-end" board. It still costed about 100$/€ and in the markets there are much cheaper competitor products available.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #40 on: 24-April-13, 13:43:41 »

There's no reason to keep stuff away/hidden in BIOS even if it's a "low-end" board. It still costed about 100$/€ and in the markets there are much cheaper competitor products available.

That is unfortunately rubbish. there is a reason why only expensive boards are offering all oc options as those are able to cope with the conditions using these abilities will cause. Offered settings need to be verified to be safely used without frying the board so later testing might result in options being removed or added in bios. Also there is zero point in saying that cheaper boards are offered. That still doesn't say anything about it's oc abilities. Any oc board will be not a little but much more expensive. 
Windows 10 Pro

Froggy Gremlin

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #41 on: 24-April-13, 14:12:47 »

The thread was started almost a year ago, here we go with debates.  :lol_anim:  A low end board may get a few enhancements by the UEFI/BIOS engineers, but they are 'never' going to compete with the higher end boards. Just count the phases, etc.  ;-))

IXOYE

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #42 on: 24-April-13, 14:19:12 »

The thread was started almost a year ago, here we go with debates.

:lol_anim: Yep, we somehow got into discussing again.
Windows 10 Pro

raulfp

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #43 on: 09-January-15, 17:31:02 »

also i have seen that adding voltage actually don't work, i have tried till 0.06v and when i stress the cpu i keep on 1.175v ~ 1.185v ... dunno why, and when i OC and add voltages i got a loot of black screen, and i have to set it to auto again, also you can't OC using Turbo either, jus simply don't have that option ... even my last z77-ds3h has it wich is a very low end mainboard ...  ;D

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #44 on: 09-January-15, 17:34:49 »

Don't resurrect dead old topics please. If you have an issue open an own topic.

:floblock:
Windows 10 Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up