Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attention: GPU support - GT70  (Read 2254 times)

Cloudfire

• Winki
Attention: GPU support - GT70
« on: 15-August-12, 20:18:36 »

Hello users and MSI

I have just purchased the Nvidia Quadro K4000M and the GT70 0NE. I plan on selling the GTX 680M and installing the K4000M instead since its cooler and enough power for me + I use software that benefit from the Quadro GPGPU performance.

But a little bird tweeted to me that MSI have a whitelist within BIOS that only allow certain GPUs to function in the GT70. Now I`m afraid I throwed money away on a GPU that might not work. So to save me some hassle before trying it, is there anyone here who knows if K4000M will be recognized by the BIOS and if it will work on the newest BIOS from MSI? K4000M supports Optimus just like GTX 670M/675M/680M plus its cooler than all. There shouldn`t be any problem including it in your whitelist if you don`t support it right? All three of the Quadro`s (K3000M/K4000M/K5000M).

Its not an MSI GPU by the way since MSI don`t make Quadro`s. Neither can I get any MSI vbios from any other Geforce cards since no Geforce Kepler`s is available with 960 shaders. I think its a HP K4000M but I`m not shure. Will know when I get it.

Thanks for reading and helping me
« Last Edit: 15-August-12, 20:53:37 by Cloudfire »

Leon

• MSI Tech-support
Re: Attention: GPU support - GT70
« Reply #1 on: 15-August-12, 22:34:03 »

MSI does not support upgrading of a notebook GPU mainly due to the thermal design of the notebook and the used thermal module.
Most of the times the stock thermal unit does not fit on the replacing MXM module.

MSI does not prohibit upgrading the GPU, but all is done at your own risk. The bios does not exclude any GPUs by means of a white list so you'll basically have a 50-50% shot of getting it working. No other GPUs are tested than the one the notebook came with.
Make sure the power requirements of the GPU match so the chance of thermal issues reduces.

Cloudfire

• Winki
« Reply #2 on: 15-August-12, 22:43:48 »

Hi Leon and thanks for responding.

I understand that that there are risks involved with GPU switching and that as an end user, everything falls back to you.
I do it on my own risk and I know the dangers that lurk, although the K4000M is 100% safe thermal wise due to the fact its a 960 shader vs the 1344 shader 680M thats shipped with this notebook. Same goes for power requirements, it draw less power than 680M.

I know a guy who tried the 7970M on the GT70 but the BIOS wouldn`t recognize it. Drivers and everything was easy to install but the system just wouldn`t recognize te GPU. He said it was because of a whitelist. But since you say that there doesn`t exist any whitelist (100% shure?), my best bet is because its an AMD card and that it doesn`t support Optimus which is hardcoded in to the BIOS, hence the system wouldn`t let it pass? I`m not fully certain that he tried it with the newest BIOS from you guys though.
K4000M is a totally different story though since its Nvidia card plus it support Optimus just like GTX 680M. Right?

You say its a 50/50 chance it will work, what is the reason why it won`t work? Other than thermals?

Thanks again for your help :)

EDIT: Ah, after reading it again, I think I know what you meant. The obstacle you are talking about is the heatsink that many times doesn`t fit the MXM card. Well I`m positive it does since the K4000M is the exact same size as Clevo 680M, and I know a guy who said the GT70 heat sink matched perfectly to his Clevo 680M. :)
« Last Edit: 15-August-12, 23:42:41 by Cloudfire »

Cloudfire

• Winki
« Reply #3 on: 16-August-12, 00:01:59 »

Here are the three MXM cards. To the left, K4000M, K5000M in the middle and GTX 680M on the right. They look pretty much identical to me so getting the heat sink to fit shouldn`t be a problem.

So since there is no BIOS blockage according to you Leon, I`m all set to go?

« Last Edit: 16-August-12, 00:05:25 by Cloudfire »

Leon

• MSI Tech-support
« Reply #4 on: 16-August-12, 09:21:19 »

Using a Quadro might be tricky because MSI doens't use these GPUs in any notebook so bios support might be limited. It's basically a go or no go.

MSI doesn't support this nor encourage to upgrade the GPU so I'm affraid you're on your own here.

_-$tr|k3r-_

• Winki
« Reply #5 on: 08-September-12, 01:50:31 »

Hello users and MSI

I have just purchased the Nvidia Quadro K4000M and the GT70 0NE. I plan on selling the GTX 680M and installing the K4000M instead since its cooler and enough power for me + I use software that benefit from the Quadro GPGPU performance.

But a little bird tweeted to me that MSI have a whitelist within BIOS that only allow certain GPUs to function in the GT70. Now I`m afraid I throwed money away on a GPU that might not work. So to save me some hassle before trying it, is there anyone here who knows if K4000M will be recognized by the BIOS and if it will work on the newest BIOS from MSI? K4000M supports Optimus just like GTX 670M/675M/680M plus its cooler than all. There shouldn`t be any problem including it in your whitelist if you don`t support it right? All three of the Quadro`s (K3000M/K4000M/K5000M).

Its not an MSI GPU by the way since MSI don`t make Quadro`s. Neither can I get any MSI vbios from any other Geforce cards since no Geforce Kepler`s is available with 960 shaders. I think its a HP K4000M but I`m not shure. Will know when I get it.

Thanks for reading and helping me

Hmmmm, swapping a GTX-680M for a K4000? Not sure I'd agree with the choice, but interesting nonetheless. Let us know how that works out for you.  ;-))

:hat tip:

*Weapons Of Mass Destruction*

MSI GT70 2OD-039US: Shipping SOON!
MSI GT70 0NE-276US: Intel Core i7-3610QM | nVidia GTX-680M | 17.3" FHD LED Matte Screen | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 256GB mSATA SuperRAID | 750GB WD Scorpio Black | 6X Blu-Ray RW | Intel Wireless-N 2230
MSI GT783R-658US: Intel Core i7-2860QM | nVidia GTX-580M | 17.3" FHD LED 90% Color Gamut Screen | 16GB DDR3-1333 | 250GB Intel 510 Series | 500GB WD Scorpio Black | 6X Blu-Ray | Bigfoot Killer -N 1103

Pages: [1]   Go Up