Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Z77A-GD65 PCI-E Problem  (Read 18936 times)

allust47

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Z77A-GD65 PCI-E Problem
« on: 11-September-12, 17:42:35 »

I just got parts for a new build, and I'm having trouble getting the motherboard to detect my video card. The card is a GTX 670, and I've also tried my GTX 580 as well. I've tried them in each of the two top most PCI-E slots and I cannot get a signal from them.

The onboard video works fine.

I have tried playing with all of the related integrated/pci options in the BIOS and I am not having any luck. I can't even install drivers for the card because it says there is no compatible card, and it doesn't show up in device manager.

It is fully powered and the power supply is solid. I have also tried the GTX 670 in my older PC and it works fine so I know it isn't the card.

I'm suspecting faulty PCI ports which means I need to RMA this but in case someone has an idea for something else to try I figured I'd post here first.

xmad

• MSI HQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Salisbury MD
« Reply #1 on: 11-September-12, 17:46:30 »

For giggles first do a full cmos clear and start the computer plugged into the discrete card which is installed into the top PCIE gen slot.
Make sure both power connectors are hooked to the GTX 670
What PSU do you have.
(Power requirement: GeForce GTX 670 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum ; GeForce GTX 580 - 40A and a 600W PSU minimum)

Assuming everything was hooked up properly and the PSU is adequete try this:
Remove the mobo and check for extra stand off under it, while the mobo is out, set it on a table with bright light and inspect the cpu pins with a magnifying glass or zoom from an hd camera. Even 1 or two being slightly bent can cause this and the pins can be bent by over or un-even tightening of the cooler or breathing too hard on them. (last parts a joke of course)

Edit: What bios version and Cpu are you using?
Make sure to select a "best" answer once your issue has been resolved!
Mainboard: X79A-GD65 (8D)
CPU: I7-3930K
Setting: 4.5Ghz enhanced turbo w/ speed step functioning.
Memory: Corsair Dominator 2133 CL:9  1.5v 4x4gb
Setting: 2400 CL:10
VGA: 2 x GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G (SLI)
No Overclock other than default
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 12v: 100.1 Amps
SSD: Corsair GS 256GB
Corsair Link
Cooling: Corsair H100I

allust47

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 11-September-12, 17:59:43 »

I'll give resetting the CMOS a try this afternoon.

The PSU is a Seasonic X850 which is 850w and 70A on the 12v rail.

The CPU is a Intel Core i5 3570K. I did remove the CPU once to make sure it was seated properly and then reset it. I didn't peceive any bent pins but I can look again if nothing else works and I do RMA it as a last resort check.

When you say check for extra standoff, do you mean an extra standoff that might be touching the back of the board and possibly causing a short?

I will check back in with the following information, but during boot the diagnostic LED's have displayed a couple of different numbers. I wasn't sure if this process would stop once it hit an error, or if it will cycle through all error codes and then boot. If that's the case I recall seeing:

A2
A0 <- This one is after it boots in to windows.

Bernhard

• Support the MSI Red Rockets Team Members 나는 한국을 사랑
  • GENERAL
  • Read the user manual first. Properly
« Reply #3 on: 11-September-12, 18:03:48 »

A0 stays when you boot.
If it boots into Windows, you have no problem.
The A6X beta BIOS up to I think A68 will display the CPU temp instead. Quite a  nice feature that I believe has been overseen or removed again with the latest beta BIOS versions. A real shame. Can only hope they put it back again.
1.MSI Z77A-GD65 BIOS10.6B7 Mothballed
2. H97 Performance; i5-4670; Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 2X4GB; CX430; Crucial M500 240GB Win7-64;WD2TB Data;WD1TB Data;LG DVD
3.Z97 Extreme 4;4790K;Noctua NH-C14; Win7-64;MSI GTX660Ti PE;Corsair 4X4Gb CML16GX3M4A2133C11B; Neutron 256GB SSDWin7-64;Seasonic750W;ST1TB Data;WD300V-R Backup OS;SonyDVD; 

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

xmad

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Salisbury MD
« Reply #4 on: 11-September-12, 18:06:14 »

Core i5 Ivy Bridge i5-3570K 100 3.40 1M 6M E1 77 7751vA3.zip  release date of this bios is 2012-03-27, so if that mobo was manufactured prior to that, it may not have full cpu support.
If the system posts w/ igd, check the bios version in uefi/bio and if nessesary, download the newest version: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD65.html#/?div=BIOS
Use the forums flash tool to prepare the usb stick for flashing:
>>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<

An alternate way to identify the bios is to look for a green sticker on the bios chip or check the date code in the S/N.

When you say check for extra standoff, do you mean an extra standoff that might be touching the back of the board and possibly causing a short?
Yes, this is a very common issue.

If the pins were bent, they can usually be "fixed" you just need a very small object in order straighten them.

If it boots into Windows, you have no problem.
This only happens with the IGD correct? You cannot get the discrete cards to be detected is the issue right?
Corsair Link

allust47

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 11-September-12, 18:15:01 »

I installed that 10.5 bios last night...at least I think. I put the files on a USB stick and used the...M Flash I think it was and selected it off the USB stick. It updated and rebooted but didn't come back on. I tried to power it back on a few times and it wouldn't turn on fully until I unplugged it and let it sit for maybe 2-3 minutes and then plugged it back in and turned it on. I even switched from bios 1 to bios 2 (bios 2 didn't boot either) and it's on bios 1 now which I believe is the 10.5 version but maybe I should use the method in your post and try to update it again.

The PC posts to Windows no matter what. If I have a video card plugged in or not, unfortunately it seems to be because the motherboard doesn't know it's plugged in  :undecided:

xmad

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Salisbury MD
« Reply #6 on: 11-September-12, 18:45:49 »

I installed that 10.5 bios last night...at least I think. I put the files on a USB stick and used the...M Flash I think it was and selected it off the USB stick. It updated and rebooted but didn't come back on. I tried to power it back on a few times and it wouldn't turn on fully until I unplugged it and let it sit for maybe 2-3 minutes and then plugged it back in and turned it on. I even switched from bios 1 to bios 2 (bios 2 didn't boot either) and it's on bios 1 now which I believe is the 10.5 version but maybe I should use the method in your post and try to update it again.

The PC posts to Windows no matter what. If I have a video card plugged in or not, unfortunately it seems to be because the motherboard doesn't know it's plugged in  :undecided:

You can check to see if you corrupted the primary bios by checking the lights, although I can't seem to find it in the manual. You may want to enter the bios and if the bios version is the older version, enable multi bios update
BIOS and it will flash the non working bios w/ the working one.
→ SECURITY → "Multi BIOS Auto Update"
If you are at 10.5 already that would suggest the flash suceeded, proceed to clear the cmos and retest then check for shorts / bent pins et al. Good luck.
Corsair Link
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15  All   Go Up