Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z77a G43 USB 3.0 ports not working  (Read 813 times)

greatatlantic

• Neo
Z77a G43 USB 3.0 ports not working
« on: 09-February-13, 01:50:42 »

For whatever reason, all USB 3.0 ports have stopped working, and no hardware (including usb 2.0 devices) even acknowledges being plugged in.  First they worked, however, at some point in time they stopped working.  At first I blamed the device at hand for failing, but now I realize that none of my 4 USB 3.0 devices work.  That includes the two in the back attached directly to the motherboard, and the two in the front of the case which are connected to the motherboard with a cord.  I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right driver, and actually rolled back to an earlier driver made available at the product's download page instead of the latest driver provided by Intel (Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Dri ver.zip).

Any advice?  I suspect a motherboard has gone bad, but it could just as easily be a software issue.  For example, every time I start up, Windows wants me to confirm that it is safe to run iusb3mon.exe, which I'm pretty sure is the USB 3.0 driver.

Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: Radeon HD 6870
RAM:L 8 gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance (1600)
SDD: crucial M4 256 GB
HD: Seagate barracuda (2 Terabyte)
PSU: Corsair TX650

and just in case you missed it above, the motherboard is a Z77A G43.

Thanks for any advice anyone might give.

xmad

• MSI HQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Salisbury MD
Re: Z77a G43 USB 3.0 ports not working
« Reply #1 on: 11-February-13, 22:53:11 »

Perhaps test the usb from UEFI BIOS as well. Try to boot to a bootable USB stick or save a copy of your bios to a USB flash drive. If it works fine from bios, you know to re-install the OS.

Remove the main board and check for extra standoff's or other shorts under the board. Also, check the rear I/O plate to see if it is shorting out the board.
New:
Board MSI Z77 Mpower
Bios: Latest Official
VGA   MSI GTX 760
PSU:  Corsair GS700
Intel Core I7-3770K
MEM: Corsair 2133 2x4gb CL: 9 Dominator Platinum
500GB HHD
COOLER: Zalman 9900
OC: (Turbo)4.5Gh
Ram: 2133Mhz 1.55v
CL 9

Board: X79A-GD65 (8D)
Bios: 4.6
CPU: Intel 3930k Hexa-Core
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4gb 2133 CL:9
Vid: GTX 780TI 3GB in SLI
PSU: Corsair AX1200I
Cooler: Corsair 80I
SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240 GB SSD
Startech Raid Controller Card
HDD: 2x Seagate 500gb 7200 in Raid 0
HDD: 2x Seagate 1tb 7200 in Raid 0
Corsair Link
Corsair H-100I Cooler

Jordan

• Neo
Re: Z77a G43 USB 3.0 ports not working
« Reply #2 on: 15-June-13, 17:26:13 »

Hi

I have the the same problem almost one year, but I know how to temporary resolve it and how to reproduce it.

I have new bios 2.10.

USB3.0 after some time will loose power only if I have turned on "OC Genie" option in bios.
USB3.0 will work with OC Genie ON only until my PC will loose power when its working (for example after unplug power cord, energy blackdown(not always))

If USB3.0 will loose power for me only helps OC Genie off, restart, OC Genie on. After this USB3.0 will work again for some time.

I think its bios problem because of OG Genie.

My English isn't perfect but i hope you can understand me :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up