Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting my BIOS to AHCI mode prior to a clean win7 install, failed  (Read 665 times)

slicey69

• Winki

My hard drive is an old Western Digital, 74GB Raptor, which I believe supports NCQ.  Shouldn't this have worked on my A75-G35 board?  The PC was seeing my hard drive during set up, but I was being told that windows couldn't be installed on the drive.  It's the ONLY storage device connected to the mobo, at the time of install.  I had to set BIOS to IDE mode in order for the install to proceed.  What gives?
MSI A75-35 Motherboard
A8-3850 @stock speed, with stock air cooling
2*2GB OF GSkill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ @stock speed
XFX 9870 video card
74GB Western Digital Raptor

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk

The PC was seeing my hard drive during set up

You mean that Windows sees the drive as an option you can select during Windows Setup?

I was being told that windows couldn't be installed on the drive

Are there currently any partitions on this drive? If so, delete them, and then try again.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

slicey69

• Winki

You mean that Windows sees the drive as an option you can select during Windows Setup?   Yes

Are there currently any partitions on this drive? If so, delete them, and then try again.

I seem to recall, that there was a 15GB partition, but in all the years I've installed Windows, I've never partitioned a drive.
MSI A75-35 Motherboard
XFX 9870 video card

murf3347

• Neo

you should set it to ide if installing another os, after the install of the new system set the registry first to AHCI then reboot and set the bios to AHCI.
hope the info helps  :biggthumbsup:

xmad

• MSI HQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Salisbury MD

I seem to recall, that there was a 15GB partition, but in all the years I've installed Windows, I've never partitioned a drive.

You can use diskpart from DOS. This is off the top of my head, so if you have any trouble let me know and I'll look it up.

Boot to DOS
COMMANDS
DISKPART [ENTER]
LIST DISK [ENTER]
SELECT DISK (# OF THE DISK YOU WANT TO FIX) [ENTER]
LIST PARTITION [ENTER]
SELECT PARTITION (WHICHEVER ONE LISTED YOU WANT TO DELETE) [ENTER]
DELETE PARTITION [NOERR] [OVERRIDE] [ENTER]
SELECT DISK (#OF THE DISK YOU WANT TO FIX) [ENTER]
CLEAN [ENTER]
LIST PARITION [ENTER]
Make sure no partitions are listed.
New:
Board MSI Z77 Mpower
Bios: Latest Official
VGA   MSI GTX 760
PSU:  Corsair GS700
Intel Core I7-3770K
MEM: Corsair 2133 2x4gb CL: 9 Dominator Platinum
500GB HHD
COOLER: Zalman 9900
OC: (Turbo)4.5Gh
Ram: 2133Mhz 1.55v
CL 9

Board: X79A-GD65 (8D)
Bios: 4.6
CPU: Intel 3930k Hexa-Core
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4gb 2133 CL:9
Vid: GTX 780TI 3GB in SLI
PSU: Corsair AX1200I
Cooler: Corsair 80I
SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240 GB SSD
Startech Raid Controller Card
HDD: 2x Seagate 500gb 7200 in Raid 0
HDD: 2x Seagate 1tb 7200 in Raid 0
Corsair Link
Corsair H-100I Cooler

Principle

• Twin Frozr

You want AHCI enabled before loading windows.  A lot of them wont work when trying to change it later, even with the registry fixes.  Windows install should have a partition delete function if you can see the drive.  And then it sets up the partition.  The MBR or something may be set up to say its an IDE drive, even if its AHCI compliant, until you delete the first partition.
MSI 890GXM-G65 (uATX) in Apex Supercase TX-381-C micro tower with 120x38mm Sunon front intake fan
-AMD Vishera FX-6300 @ 4Ghz base, 4.4-4.6GHz turbo, Cooler Master Geminii with dual Evercool AL12025 fans
-G.Skill Ripjaw 8GBx2 CL9 DDR3-2133 RAM running CL7-8-8-23-30-1T 1600@1.6V with 17 GB/s bandwidth
-Gigabyte Windforce AMD Radeon HD7850 @1GHz with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1.3GHz
-Seasonic X650 Gold PSU & Plextor M5S 128GB SSD
-CPU Vcore 1.4125 VID 1.45V max, CPU-NB voltage 1.3V, 55W Sleep, 62W idle, 105W utilization, 230W max gaming power consumption
-2013 Future Update: AMD HD8870 xFire
-2014 Future Update: 8-core Steamroller FX CPU

slicey69

• Winki

You want AHCI enabled before loading windows.  A lot of them wont work when trying to change it later, even with the registry fixes.  Windows install should have a partition delete function if you can see the drive.  And then it sets up the partition.  The MBR or something may be set up to say its an IDE drive, even if its AHCI compliant, until you delete the first partition.

Yup, AHCI was enabled in BIOS prior to install attempt.  Got frustrated and set to IDE mode to install.

thanks, though
MSI A75-35 Motherboard
XFX 9870 video card
Pages: [1]   Go Up