Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 "Configuring Windows Features"  (Read 37681 times)

Nees

• Easy OC
Windows 8 "Configuring Windows Features"
« on: 05-March-13, 21:18:26 »

Since I have my GT60, i've been getting used with Windows 8. This is the GT60 Windows 8 version, so NOT an upgrade. (that is why I don't posted in the Upgrade section)

But there is a very annoying problem and that is that Windows, when you reboot, will start "configuring windows features" whenever it wants. Even when you dont do anything special or modify anything windows related on your pc and have worked for it a while, then reboot, it will start "Configuring Windows Features".

I have been looking for this issue on how to resolve it, because it will take about 15minutes!!!!! to reboot every time windows feels like doing this.

Then I found this. People having an MSI laptop GE70, GE60... and the same issue. LINK: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/configuring-windows-features-issue/c8513da4-b051-4895-ac42-d015833054e2

So my question, who else has this very very annoying thing. Because when you are working, install an app, need to reboot, you have 50/50 chance you will need to wait for that damn thing to finish doing "nothing". There is nothing in the logs about what it is doing for so long, except the error in the link about the DCOM error, but that error happens after the reboot, because then it continuous to "Configure Windows Features", and you cannot see anything else what is happening in the background.

If you have this issue or found a fix, please report it. I dont think this is related to MSI, as other brands have the same issue.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
Re: Windows 8 "Configuring Windows Features"
« Reply #1 on: 06-March-13, 01:41:10 »

I was running Windows 8 for a while (gave up and went back to Win7), and while I was I never had this issue.
MSI GT70 0NE
Core i7 3610
16 GB DDR3
2 x 240 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD's in SuperRaid
500 GB HDD
GTX680M with Core@980 MHz and Memory@2100 MHz
Asus Xonar U3 USB Sound Card for Optical Output and Dolby Digital upconverting
Windows 8 with Start8
Custom notebook cooler

This system runs at a cool 65C while playing the newest and most demanding games at highest settings possible.

The CPU Whisperer

• I must be menthol
  • Platinum
  • Burn baby burn
« Reply #2 on: 06-March-13, 15:58:22 »

This could be related to the audio driver.
Try uninstalling the Realtek audio driver from the Control Panel-> Software menu and run Windows updates. After the updates are installed, install the audio driver again from the website.
If you look at the update history you'll see some updates failed to install and Win8 will keep trying installing these updates which takes for ever.
Possible workaround is the above one.

James_ge70

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 07-March-13, 21:46:16 »

Yep same problem.

Doesn't seem to be realtek driver. Windows event viewer shows a DCOM error.  Seems to be on nearly all GE70 0NC 417 uk models.

People are just taking their laptops back for a refund. Think I would like to find the cause but if there isn't a fix soon I'll get a refund and buy something else.  :embarassed:  shame really.

I notice that the HDD is really getting a thrashing. Constant hdd activity when it locks on 15% configuring features.

Only happens when doing a restart. Not on shutdown or boot from cold.

MSi tech support? Any ideas?

Neo777

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 07-March-13, 22:17:29 »

Yep same problem.

Doesn't seem to be realtek driver. Windows event viewer shows a DCOM error.  Seems to be on nearly all GE70 0NC 417 uk models.

People are just taking their laptops back for a refund. Think I would like to find the cause but if there isn't a fix soon I'll get a refund and buy something else.  :embarassed:  shame really.

I notice that the HDD is really getting a thrashing. Constant hdd activity when it locks on 15% configuring features.

Only happens when doing a restart. Not on shutdown or boot from cold.

MSi tech support? Any ideas?

EXACTLY the same problem I have. I have US model GE70 btw.

I dont think this is related to MSI, as other brands have the same issue.

Maybe I suck at Googling, but I haven't found any other brands having the same issue.

pjmtlg

• Easy OC
« Reply #5 on: 07-March-13, 22:59:56 »

I had the same problem on the GT70 OND Dragon Edition, but after installing the genuine NVidia driver 310.90 without having to modify the driver, the problem disappeared.

samfu

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 08-March-13, 00:55:33 »

Are you using dual boot?

I had the same problem with my GE60 0ND and the thing that worked for me was disabling fast startup

James_ge70

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 08-March-13, 15:10:47 »

Are you using dual boot?

I had the same problem with my GE60 0ND and the thing that worked for me was

Nope. Machine is fresh out of the box. Nothing installed or used yet! I powered it on to check it over and discovered this upon restart.

Pretty confident its just Msi.

Just installed intel hd4000 new management update so I will see if that has fixed it.

James_ge70

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 08-March-13, 15:12:02 »

I had the same problem on the GT70 OND Dragon Edition, but after installing the genuine NVidia driver 310.90 without having to modify the driver, the problem disappeared.

Tried that. No difference to problem.

Nees

• Easy OC
« Reply #9 on: 09-March-13, 16:05:36 »

Created this topic 4 days ago, just after a reboot. I just rebooted now, just for fun to see... And guess what. It took me exactly 22minutes before I could enter my password!!!
Awesome performing machine. As other also said, during that 15%, the harddrive works at 100% and during that timeframe, NOTHING can be found in the event viewer.

I had windows update already disabled to test and had installed updates manually, those that had failed, but that was before I created the topic.

During those 4 days, I hadn't installed any big/special software, just tools and a game, so they didn't require a reboot, yet, again Windows had to configure some Windows Features...

This is REALLY getting annoying, if you need to install a software that requires reboot, you need to be patient not to smash the laptop into a wall...

When I created the topic, I rebooted afterwards and it rebooted in 30 seconds. No crap happening then. It happens when the laptop has been running for a while. If we could just see behind the scenes what windows is doing, it would be great.

Nees

• Easy OC
« Reply #10 on: 09-March-13, 16:24:02 »

What I do found, is that in the Security Log, there is a sh*tload of activity during that timeframe.

Or there is stuff like this

Code: [Select]
The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted a connection.

Application Information:
Process ID: 928
Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume4\windows\system32\svchost.exe

Network Information:

Or stuff like this:

Code: [Select]
Auditing settings on object were changed.

Subject:
Security ID: SYSTEM
Account Name: MSI$
Account Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon ID: 0x3E7

Object:
Object Server: Security
Object Type: File
Object Name: C:\Windows\WinSxS\FileMaps\$$_help_windows_indexstore_c4411e76b4b68bb5.cdf-ms
Handle ID: 0xbc

Process Information:
Process ID: 0x1cd8
Process Name: C:\Windows\System32\poqexec.exe

Auditing Settings:
Original Security Descriptor:
New Security Descriptor: S:ARAI(AU;SAFA;0x1f0116;;;WD)

Just an example, but the log is full of it doing stuff.

But why???

Nees

• Easy OC
« Reply #11 on: 09-March-13, 22:27:44 »

And a new update.

I found out that there is file called Pending/xml in the c:\windows\winsxs folder, but not always. Because when I found a topic about it, tried to find it, it was not there. Have been messing around with a cleanup, took 3 hours before I could login again!!!! But when i was back in windows, took a look at the winsxs folder, it was recides from +100.000 folders to now +60.000 folders. But I also saw that this time, the pending.xml was there, I opened it and saw all the entries that looked like the entries in the event viewer as I showed above from the poqexec.exe process. Soooo, I rebooted and guess what... Configuring Windows Features.

After reboot I took a look again and the pending.xml was gone again, also with some other folders that were there. But now I'm going to keep looking when the pending.xml appears again.

pjmtlg

• Easy OC
« Reply #12 on: 10-March-13, 03:36:13 »

Tried that. No difference to problem.

Just in case, I have uninstalled all the NVidia things before installing the new driver.

Something that can be investigated is Windows Defender.  Find the windows defender app on the welcome screen (show all apps before), select the update tab and make a manual definition update.  After that, launch a manual fast scan.  And then try a reboot to see if the problem continues.

Ruudt

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 11-March-13, 12:24:26 »

I have been testing this issue on two GX60 1AC notebooks (when I ran into this issue).
Testing has been slow since between testing attempts I need to "reset" win8 (i.e. restore to factory defaults).

Problem found on both GX60 1AC notebooks:
Failed updates are KB2779768 (failed twice, installed succesfully on third attempt) and KB2770917 (failed four times, installed on fifth attempt)
Every attempt (Reboot=> Configuring Windows features 0..100%) takes a long time (probably around half an hour or so, constant hdd activity, this is normal with Win8 and hdd, ssd should be faster).
Eventviewer shows an Error code 0x80070490 (EventID:20, source: WindowsUpdateClient).

After searching the web some suggest to do the following:
1.) disable all non-Microsoft services with msconfig (especially Nalpeiron Licensing service (not installed by MSI factory image))
2.) manually download KB2770917 and install
3.) uninstall virus scanners, audio drivers, gfx drivers
4.) Scan Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest  (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth)

Also happens on other brands.

I have had successful updates when I uninstall the Realtek audio driver (or uninstall and install the >>Realtek Audio driver R2.70<<). Even if I uninstall the audio driver and reinstall the same audio driver version from MSI website the update is OK.

Some links:
MS KB: Disable Nalpeiron Licensing Service
MS KB: Winupdate Error code 0x80070490
Big MS topic
Lenovo forum: uninstall Nitro PDF
MS topic: Disable audio driver

Nees

• Easy OC
« Reply #14 on: 11-March-13, 15:56:01 »

There is a diffrence between Windows Updates and Windows Features.

I have disbaled windows updates and it will not install anything anymore , the Windows Update log does not give any entries anymore that failed or succeeded and I have already installed the failed ones manually. This is what many people confuses.

As stated in my previous posts, during the timeframe it happens, you see all those entries, linked to Process Name:   C:\Windows\System32\poqexec.exe and the Auditing event.

Ruudt

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 11-March-13, 17:59:04 »

I tested a GT60 which failed to update three updates: KB2779768, KB2770917, KB2756872.
When those failed I ran (in Administrator Command Prompt):
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

And after rerunning Windows update the updates were insalled OK.
See attached.

N.B.,
Those DISM cleanup commands take a few hours.

Ghost

• Judge me not on how I fall but on how many times I get back up.
  • Cyclone
  • FALCON PAAAAWNCH!!
« Reply #16 on: 12-March-13, 12:25:41 »

@Nees: I get this retardation too every single time I restart the damned notebook as well. My model and specs are in my signature. I've also noticed that the disk defragmentation is reset, for instance, I start off with a small 2% defragmented drive. So I defrag it back to 0% and then restart, after several long minutes of "Configuring Windows Features", the defrag is back to 2% again.

@Ruudt: I think there's a misunderstanding, and you've gone to those lengths to troubleshoot a problem that's not even remotely related to what's being discussed here. :(
MSI GE60 0ND-287AU

Windows 8 (64-bit)
BIOS: E16GAIMS.514
EC: 16GAEMS1 5.05

CPU i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M

James_ge70

• Neo
« Reply #17 on: 12-March-13, 18:07:37 »

I can confirm the problem still exists after both intel hd 4000 updates and the realtek audio update. Every other driver has now also been updated and the problem is still present.

Still sticking on 15% configuring features upon restart.

I have also resolved the dcom error that was occurring and logged in event logs, but this hasnt fixed the main problem.

Ghost

• Judge me not on how I fall but on how many times I get back up.
  • Cyclone
  • FALCON PAAAAWNCH!!
« Reply #18 on: 12-March-13, 18:58:16 »

I tried restarting my notebook after I was playing around with it, trying to install those cursed apps that can't be logged into or accessed, so anyway, and, but with a simple chance of luck the system restarted almost as quickly as a fast boot up from cold.

Never had any of that "Configuring Windows Features" at so and so percentage, it just restarted as it should, and I've got to say that was really quite a delight to see.

However, all that went to hell when I updated Windows 8 with approximately 9 different kinds of important updates (all of them selected), released just about an hour or so ago. Now it's been hanging on "Preparing to Configure Windows..." without any sign of percentages for well more than 30 minutes with no activity from the HDD either.

[Edit: Typos]
« Last Edit: 12-March-13, 19:01:56 by Ghost »
MSI GE60 0ND-287AU

Windows 8 (64-bit)
BIOS: E16GAIMS.514
EC: 16GAEMS1 5.05

CPU i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #19 on: 10-April-13, 23:22:13 »

I received my GT-70 last week and have experienced this also.  I have installed all the latest drivers and software updates.  It happens in 2 stages for me:

Stage 1:  When I go to shutdown the laptop and I receive the notice that windows features are being updated.  It hangs on 15%, then 16%, then 30%, then shuts down.

Stage 2.:  When I fire the laptop back up I get the same message before logon.  Only it hangs on 100% for well over 5 minutes.  Suddenly it will "finish" and my welcome screen appears...

If I am only on the computer for a little while, say less than an hour, it shuts down and restarts normally.

Has anyone solved this yet?

Ruudt

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 19-April-13, 23:05:33 »

After long investigation I found 4 problems (might not happen on all Win8 preinstallation image).
1.) Failing Updates randomly (see my previous posts), easy to see in Update History (eventually the updates will install but it may take a few attempts and reboots)
2.) When restarting it takes 15-30 minutes to restart. Display shows "Configuring Windows Features" for the majority of the time. This happens even if all windows updates have already been successfully installed on previous restarts.
3.) Eventviewer shows errors with DistributedCOM & LanguagePackSetup
4.) Slow system response. Disk led shows high disk activity.
Tested on two GX60 1AC (with Win8 Harddisk image ZS7-16FKEM4-AS0(ver3.1.SA3.11.0))

The problems seem to be caused by unused language packs.
Apparently the base image has 37 language packs.
Every reboot one or more language packs are removed by Windows automatically in the background (hence the high disk activity), causing the "Configuring Windows Features" message and slow restarts (10-30minutes).
With 36 language packs it takes a lot of slow restarts before it is finished cleaning up the unused language packs.

You can easily remove the unnecessary language packs in one pass. Just hit Win+R and in the run box type "lpksetup". See attached pictures.
Please be aware uninstalling the language packs takes a long time (uninstall may take up to 2 hours and reboot takes another hour, depending on the amount of language packs that need to be removed).
The advantage is that you only need to wait once instead of every restart.

Can you try this and let us know if this solves your issues?

I have tested it on two GX60 1AC notebooks and I hope this solves the problems on other models as well.

SLJacobs

• Neo
« Reply #21 on: 21-April-13, 03:35:25 »

@Ruudt. This solved the problem on my GX60. It's been happening for so long that I only had about 8 languages to uninstall. It took a while to process and the next reboot presented the Configuring Features problem, but it hasn't returned after several reboots. Thanks for finally finding a fix!

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #22 on: 21-April-13, 04:20:06 »

Well, I only have 1 language listed at this time and that is English.  Hopefully, this means that they have already been removed and I wont experience the problem anymore.  It has not happened in a day or so, but sometimes it only happens every other day so I don't know yet.

I'll keep you informed.

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #23 on: 22-April-13, 03:46:12 »

Happened again at last nights shut-down/this mornings restart.   :sad:

I ran a "sfc /scannow" which found some errors.  I'll keep an eye out and report back in a few days.

-=K=-

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #24 on: 03-May-13, 20:23:23 »

Ok, sorry for the delayed reply (and re-bumping of this thread) but the problem has been fixed.   :biggthumbsup:

My fix was running the command:

"sfc /scannow"

After the scan fixed some errors I was curious to see what they were.  I opened the log-file (which can only be done in administrator mode) and saw that several LANGUAGE files were fixed during the scan.  Although my OS did not list the languages as installed they apparently still had errors that Windows was attempting to constantly configure.  This coincides with the fix that Ruudt posted earlier.

Such as easy fix to a rather pesky problem.  My MSI GT70 shuts down and restarts lightning fast now.   :-))

-=K=-

dmo1111

• Neo
« Reply #25 on: 04-May-13, 17:44:59 »

Ok, sorry for the delayed reply (and re-bumping of this thread) but the problem has been fixed.   :biggthumbsup:

"sfc /scannow"

After the scan fixed some errors I was curious to see what they were.  I opened the log-file (which can only be done in administrator mode) and saw that several LANGUAGE files were fixed during the scan.  Although my OS did not list the languages as installed they apparently still had errors that Windows was attempting to constantly configure.  This coincides with the fix that Ruudt posted earlier.

Such as easy fix to a rather pesky problem.  My MSI GT70 shuts down and restarts lightning fast now.   :-))

-=K=-

After I went into Run and typed in "sfc /scannow" nothing happened. Can you please provide the steps you used to fix the problem. I checked my installed lang and english was the only one.

dmo1111

• Neo
« Reply #26 on: 04-May-13, 17:51:15 »

"sfc /scannow"

-=K=-

:biggthumbsup: :agrees: :hat tip: YOU ROCK stupidest fix/major problem. I was ready to install my windows 7 THANKS MATE

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #27 on: 06-May-13, 20:16:58 »

After I went into Run and typed in "sfc /scannow" nothing happened. Can you please provide the steps you used to fix the problem. I checked my installed lang and english was the only one.

Sorry dmo1111, I couldn't get back to you this weekend.  It looks like you may have solved your problem already but I'll put the steps for anyone else that happens upon this page...this problem drove me nuts for weeks...

Follow these steps:

1.  Click Start then type CMD into the search area to locate the command prompt (cmd.exe).
2.  RIGHT CLICK the command prompt icon and choose "Run As Administrator"  - you must have administrator rights.
3.  In the command prompt type in "sfc /scannow"
4.  Make a sandwich.  This is important.  A well fed trouble-shooter is an effective trouble-shooter.
5.  Restart your computer.

You may want to check the log file and verify that some errors were fixed.  I can't recall the location of the log file but it tells you at the end of the scan.  A Google search can help too.

YOU ROCK stupidest fix/major problem. I was ready to install my windows 7 THANKS MATE

You are very welcome.   :grin:

-=K=-

alemagno31

• Neo
« Reply #28 on: 08-May-13, 14:18:11 »

Just had my gt70 444 a few days now and had this issue and the the wifi one too. You solved this INCREDIBLY ANNOYING PROBLEM!!!! Thanx a lot man, a BIG thanx from Argentina!!! THIS FIX, WORKS GREAT!! :hat tip:

alexclee2

• Neo
« Reply #29 on: 10-May-13, 05:02:29 »

After long investigation I found 4 problems (might not happen on all Win8 preinstallation image).
1.) Failing Updates randomly (see my previous posts), easy to see in Update History (eventually the updates will install but it may take a few attempts and reboots)
2.) When restarting it takes 15-30 minutes to restart. Display shows "Configuring Windows Features" for the majority of the time. This happens even if all windows updates have already been successfully installed on previous restarts.
3.) Eventviewer shows errors with DistributedCOM & LanguagePackSetup
4.) Slow system response. Disk led shows high disk activity.
Tested on two GX60 1AC (with Win8 Harddisk image ZS7-16FKEM4-AS0(ver3.1.SA3.11.0))

The problems seem to be caused by unused language packs.
Apparently the base image has 37 language packs.
Every reboot one or more language packs are removed by Windows automatically in the background (hence the high disk activity), causing the "Configuring Windows Features" message and slow restarts (10-30minutes).
With 36 language packs it takes a lot of slow restarts before it is finished cleaning up the unused language packs.

You can easily remove the unnecessary language packs in one pass. Just hit Win+R and in the run box type "lpksetup". See attached pictures.
Please be aware uninstalling the language packs takes a long time (uninstall may take up to 2 hours and reboot takes another hour, depending on the amount of language packs that need to be removed).
The advantage is that you only need to wait once instead of every restart.

Can you try this and let us know if this solves your issues?

I have tested it on two GX60 1AC notebooks and I hope this solves the problems on other models as well.

I have done all you said, and i think its helped somewhat. I no longer need to wait whilst it 'prepares' but it still hangs at 15%, 16%, and 30% for a significant amount of time (up to 30 - 40 mins total). I instructed windows not to install anymore upates for the moment, but i get the screen everytime i reboot the computer.

Anyone else still having the incredibly slow load times? The problem seems to be MSI based, my friends who have bought MSI computers are all having similar issues, but my brother who went with Asus has had none, and updates install quickly and without issue

Thanks in Advance.

onieda

• Neo
« Reply #30 on: 10-May-13, 15:36:10 »

Did you try the "sfc /scannow" solution I posted above?  Try it and let us know if it works for you.

LDZPLN1

• Neo
« Reply #31 on: 25-June-13, 06:10:32 »

Gotta give props... I'm running on a new GT70 Dragon 2 (GTX 780M), running Windows 8 Pro and was having the same issue after almost every restart.

I went to Control Panel, Languages and it only showed English installed.  lpksetup showed Thia, Japanese and Arabic installed.  I removed them from that applet.  Removal and reboot took about 5 minutes.  I ran the Disk Cleanup tool after installing all available Windows Updates last night, but after the reboot, I re-ran the Disk Cleanup tool... ran for about 1/2 hour cleaning up "Windows Updates".  I regained about 7 GB of disk space and I haven't seen this message since.

Thanks a ton!

BTW... I replaced the Sandisk 128 GB SSDs with 256 GB Plextors... well worth the money.  Sequential 1 GB reads are at 1.4+ GB/sec. Bought some SSD to USB 3.0 adapters and converted the Sandisk SSDs into high speed flash drives.

Akutalji

• Neo
« Reply #32 on: 08-August-13, 22:29:50 »

Having bought my GT70 a couple of weeks ago, (and BTW, this thing is a complete beast) I began running into this issue immediately. At first I thought maybe the windows updates were doing their thing, but several reboots later, the "configuring windows features" BS was still persistent. After checking update logs, all showing me that nothing was really going on, even though the HDD was going 100%.

I was fed up at this point, and went on to plan A, CONSULT THE INTERNET! Plan B was installing win7.

Beyond being able to recognise configuration files and logs, I am not much of a troubleshooter.

TY FOR HELPING ME!

nathan.wan.7

• Neo
« Reply #33 on: 24-August-13, 22:47:48 »

Hey guys, (I have a GE60 0NC very very new I got it last week and the 1st day I had to system restore it because it didnt load up or boot due to I believe windows updates)

I tried doing the two suggestions that worked for every1.

I didnt do one of them I did both. So i uninstalled all the language packs i didnt need (lots of them) and i also did the cmd method.

When restarting it took ages and then when it finally booted the MSI boot screen appeared and then said it was updating. At around 12% update my laptop went into sleep mode.

I turned it on and a blank screen was what I got. I turned it off and turned it back on and after a while the msi started from where it left off in the update. At 17% the laptop turned itself back to sleep mode.

What do I do? I tried pressing the F3 and 'Automatic repair' started and has lead to yet another blank screen. It has been going on for 10 minutes now and I am getting worried that I have to take my laptop back to Amazon as I do not own a disc copy of Win8

EDIT: Ok guys after a while the MSI came back and a flash of windows 8 literally it appeared for 0.2 seconds said something like sorry something went wrong and then it went back to msi boot screen and is updating from 0%)

EDIT2: OK. It seems to be working as normal now so Nevermind! But I will post again if something fishy afloats
« Last Edit: 24-August-13, 23:13:01 by nathan.wan.7 »

Kalekip21

• Cyclone
« Reply #34 on: 25-August-13, 01:03:58 »

Hey guys, (I have a GE60 0NC very very new I got it last week and the 1st day I had to system restore it because it didnt load up or boot due to I believe windows updates)

I tried doing the two suggestions that worked for every1.

I didnt do one of them I did both. So i uninstalled all the language packs i didnt need (lots of them) and i also did the cmd method.

When restarting it took ages and then when it finally booted the MSI boot screen appeared and then said it was updating. At around 12% update my laptop went into sleep mode.

I turned it on and a blank screen was what I got. I turned it off and turned it back on and after a while the msi started from where it left off in the update. At 17% the laptop turned itself back to sleep mode.

What do I do? I tried pressing the F3 and 'Automatic repair' started and has lead to yet another blank screen. It has been going on for 10 minutes now and I am getting worried that I have to take my laptop back to Amazon as I do not own a disc copy of Win8

EDIT: Ok guys after a while the MSI came back and a flash of windows 8 literally it appeared for 0.2 seconds said something like sorry something went wrong and then it went back to msi boot screen and is updating from 0%)

EDIT2: OK. It seems to be working as normal now so Nevermind! But I will post again if something fishy afloats

If it still dont work try this: open CMD and type in sfc /scannow, that should do the trick, if it doesnt, try this: Open CMD and type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (or copy and paste) this process can take a while but did the trick for me! goodluck!

astonkiller

• Neo
« Reply #35 on: 30-August-13, 01:36:23 »

hi when I run sfc /scannow it says 100% done is that it? becurse I still have the problem it scanned for about 30mins is this right.MSI 61 laptop is driving me mad I was lucky to find this forum on the net it has been doing this for about 30 days from new. thx for the help

astonkiller

• Neo
« Reply #36 on: 30-August-13, 13:04:15 »

hi did again and it found some errors but said it could not fix all.

pozpills

• Neo
« Reply #37 on: 31-August-13, 07:28:44 »

I THINK I FOUND THE ISSUE:
So after my computer game crashed during a LOL ranked match, it comes to no surprise that I have the windows update reminding me how annoying they are. After 30 minutes, of waiting my computer reboots. In looking at "Action center"-->change action center settings--> scroll down--> WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS. And low and behold update automatically is checked. This would make sense. I will post again if it doesn't work, but I switched the setting to check for updates but let me choose when to DL and install them. Screw them for making it so difficult. Anybody know an easy way to get to the control panel?

astonkiller

• Neo
« Reply #38 on: 31-August-13, 12:41:50 »

well after I did sfc /scannow and rebooted I have not seen this very very annoying thing this
is 2 days now the most I have gone without it doing it fingers crossed

catcult

• Neo
« Reply #39 on: 01-September-13, 06:41:26 »

I have an MSI GE70 and I have the same problem. I just installed a new-ish (I wont say new because the latest driver won't work!) nvidia driver and when I had to reboot I had the same problem as the rest of you guys. I waited for almost an hour before it finally finished. However, doing the scannow thing didn't work for me. I've had this problem since I got the laptop and saw this thread a couple of weeks ago and tried the solution, yet the problem still persist. I also have a problem with my nvidia gpu suddenly stop working, but after installing the semi-new drivers (and uninstalling the old ones) it seems fixed. For now. I must say I'm not very positive at this point, I will probably never get an MSI again because of all these issues.

gregt44

• Neo
« Reply #40 on: 13-October-13, 03:22:39 »

I had same issue as onieda above. Language setup only showed english.

Hold windows key and x to open command promp as administartor then type sfc  /scannow  .. this stated i had errors that required a reboot to repair. i restarted computer and knew it was goint to be good when it whizzed past 15% instead of hanging up.

Run sfc /scannow and after about a 15 minute scan it will say it repaired several files. My next restart took less than 1 minute.

Other than the 20 minute restarts my GT70 has performed up to expectations. Glad to have this issue behind me. Thanks to all for your help

whocares01

• Neo
« Reply #41 on: 14-October-13, 16:04:39 »

Hi guys,

i have GE60 2oe for a few weeks, and had same problem as you did

- i run sfc/scannow, found something and repaired it
- run lpksetup and uninstalled all languges, except Czech (system language) and English (wasn't sure if to keep it or not)
- restarted, waited ages for that windows features
- run sfc/scannow again, found something and repaired it
- restarted, no problem, no win features, fast start :)

Thank you so much for solution

BTW I had east-europe languages, french, hebrew and ukraian lang. No idead why MSI include so many languages, since it causes this stupid problem. At least they should inform users about it. ..

bobz

• Neo
« Reply #42 on: 01-December-13, 09:04:53 »

Hello, I just wanted to say huge THANK YOU. I've almost started hating my new GE70 because of this ridiculous time-wasting update, and then came across this forum. I did both, lpksetup and sfc/scannow  - problem seems to be resolved. You guys rock :agrees: :biggthumbsup:

crracer_712

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #43 on: 19-December-13, 02:29:26 »

My son's GE60 2OE has this issue, I had done a complete system restore, and fully updated, thought all was averted but alas, this issue just came back.  Two restarts in a row.  I went to check the language packs installed and it only showed 6 or 7 left, so it is in the process of removing them.

My GE70 2OE had previously had this issue, but somehow, I had ran in to a restore windows, from within windows (it has always been windows 8), and since then I hadn't experienced this issue.  I just checked the language packs and the only one listed is English, so hopefully I won't experience this frustrating issue again!

BTW, on the GE60, I had ran the SFC /scannow, prior to looking at this thread.  It said it found some issues and fixed them. I also ran the fix windows update troubles from action center, it found and corrected issues as well.  I thought this would solve the problem, so I rebooted, and to my dismay, it was going through the exact same issue.  Upon returning to windows desktop, there were two new 'folders' one Korean and one another language. I deleted them, then found this thread, and am in the process of removing the other language packs.

Crossing my fingers....
Rod
MSI GE70 2OE, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB MSata.

Mr Magnificent

• Neo
« Reply #44 on: 19-January-14, 21:32:32 »

I have bought MSI ge60 2oe-002us 2013 edition and was facing the similar problem, My scenario was,
Sometimes it would boot up fast but mostly it would start updating windows at the MSI logo screen taking atleast 20 to 30 mins. or sometimes it would boot up fine but after logging in, it would freeze at desktop or just loads up very slow. (HDD activity light was lit up without any blink showing high activity).

But thanks to onieda and kalekip21 I have solved my problem.

I have ran the "sfc /SCANNOW" in CMD before but it didn't solved the problem but after running "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and after that "sfc /SCANNOW"  Command in CMD and also installed windows updates, I think I have solved this issue.

Now I don't know how it got resolved either by running these commands or by updating windows. cause I did both of them at the same time.

Will update my post if the issue persists.

pekka40

• Easy OC
  • "i am me and i can´t change that"
« Reply #45 on: 02-February-14, 22:33:18 »

Hi i have an issue with my MSI GE70 2OE-014NE i installed Coretemp latest version whenever i start it it freezes the PC totally and i have to shut it down and then when i restart it starts upgrading/configuring Windows and as everybody else says Nothin in the logg about it ther si some kernel warnings though about Cpu 0-5 i Think has been running on a lower speed for 71 seconds don´t kn ow what it means though

well i don´t know what to do with this PC soon can´t have it freezing whenever i start an application/program
[CM HAF X][ASUS GENE V][Intel Core I5 3570K][N580GTX TWIN FROZR III 15D5 POWER EDITION/OC][G Skill Sniper 1600mhz 8GB][OCZ AGILITY 3 SSD][Western Digital Black 1TB][ACER 24"][Corsair TX750W V2]

Mr Magnificent

• Neo
« Reply #46 on: 04-February-14, 09:28:59 »

Update: The issue was still there and i ended up installing windows 8 completely from scratch via a installation media. ( Not from windows Update and Recovery it didn't fixed it ). I used a USB flash drive in my case. I am going to post instructions here.

After the install the notebook is now very responsive. Boot and shutdown times have decreased and it doesn't have that dreaded "Configuring windows Feature" showing up unless and untill anything have been updated. I think may be the preinstalled drivers that came with it were conflicting with something or the preinstalled windows itself was junk. ( I have been using the laptop for 20 to 25 days after the install and its still going good )

Instructions on how to install fresh windows 8 on MSI GE60 2OE or other notebooks

Note: Make sure to backup all your stuff before proceeding cause the harddisk need to be wiped off completely. So that no traces of previous windows installation remains.
Also make sure that no external harddisk drives or USB Drives other then the Windows Installation USB drive is connected.
And also do this on your own risk I wont be held responsible if something goes wrong.

Now before installing fresh copy of windows some of you might be thinking how to activate it or where is the windows Key. Now after my research I have came to known that Key is now embedded Bios.
When I booted from My installation flashdrive the installater didn't asked me for a key it was activated automatically.

But still its safe to know it before proceeding I used this software Belarc Advisor which can be found here   http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Install and run it after it has gathered the info then a new Internet explorer window will open, Scroll down to "Software licenses" tab it would be written right beside "Microsoft - Windows 8"   write it down.

Or if for some reason it doesn't get activated then use the Preview Keys from here   http://almostproductkey.blogspot.ca/2013/07/windows-8-release-preview-product-key.html   Then activate it manually.
But mostly I think it would be automatically activated.

1: Get the untouched Windows 8 Installation media I used this one ''en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440''  which I searched on torrentz.eu   it would be an ISO File.

2: Then by using Windows 7 USB/DVD tool make a bootable USB or DVD your choice I used A USB Drive though. Select the source as the above downloaded ISO file.
    The tool can be found here:     http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

3: Then connect your USB Drive to USB port on your Laptop whether be it 2.0 or 3.0 ( I used 3.0 as I had a USB 3.0 Drive so installation was faster ). Goto BIO's ( In my case by pressing Delete Key) Change the Boot mode
    to Legacy from UEFI and select your USB drive as the first boot Drive. Restart and the laptop will boot through USB Installation Drive.

4: Hit agree and next until you reach "Which type of Installation do you want ?" at this point Select " Custom: Install Windows Only (Advanced)".

5: This is important: On the " Where do you want to install windows ?" Screen, First of all goto advance and (Again make sure no External drives other then Installation flash drive is connected) delete all the partitions or
     Disks ( I repeat delete every one of them Recovery, C, D, etc. etc.)

6: Create new partitions again and select the one you want to install windows to, And click next The windows will now install.

7: After installation is completed the laptop will restart when it has, remove the installation USB Drive and goto BIOS and select Boot mode to UEFI again Save and exit.

Then it would boot through the freshly installed windows 8, Configure it the way you like and enjoy.

After that comes the part of installation of drivers Which I think is also a PITA for new comers. 

Note this is only for MSI GE60 2OE 002US

So I will list them here the ones that are necessary to install. And as of now only these are installed on my notebook.

Intel Chipset ----------------------- Grab the latest one from Intel Website
Intel GPU --------------------------- Grab the latest one from Intel Website
Intel Rapid storage technology---- Grab the latest one from Intel Website
Nvidia GPU -------------------------Grab the latest one from Nvidia Website

Killer Lan Driver------------------- Grab it from here     http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

Elantech Touchpad Driver--------- Grab it from here    http://ca.msi.com/service/download/nbdriver-19159.html

Realtek Audio Driver -------------- Grab it from here   http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false  Or latest one from
                                                  Realtek Website.

Memory Card Reader -------------- Grab it from Here  http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false      Or latest one from
                                                  Realtek Website

Radio Switch ---------------------- After installing everything this thing was the unknown device in Device Manager, After 3 hour of exploring of deepest corners of internet, I finally found it.
                                                 Download it from here:      http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/MSI/MSI-GE70-2OE-Radio-Switch-Driver-1100-for-Windows-8-64-bit.shtml

MSI SCM utility for webcam------ From here     http://ca.msi.com/service/download/utility-19670.html

Enable your webcam from SCM, I thought my notebooks Webcam was broken. There wasn't any trace about it in Device Manager and in windows 8 Webcam App it said  "Cannot found camera" then after a long troubleshooting and search on forums I found out about SCM it was disabled from there.

Hope this Helps others.

Mr Magnificent

• Neo
« Reply #47 on: 04-February-14, 09:35:19 »

Hi i have an issue with my MSI GE70 2OE-014NE i installed Coretemp latest version whenever i start it it freezes the PC totally and i have to shut it down and then when i restart it starts upgrading/configuring Windows and as everybody else says Nothin in the logg about it ther si some kernel warnings though about Cpu 0-5 i Think has been running on a lower speed for 71 seconds don´t kn ow what it means though

well i don´t know what to do with this PC soon can´t have it freezing whenever i start an application/program

May be A fresh install of Windows 8 might solve it.
Mine is now working fine now after the fresh install
See my previous post on how to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up