Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: issues installing 2 new SSDs in GT70 0ND laptop  (Read 1181 times)

mrwashout

• Neo
issues installing 2 new SSDs in GT70 0ND laptop
« on: 03-May-13, 06:32:35 »

I have just bought a new GT70 0ND-612AU laptop which came with a 1TB HDD. I purchased two crucial M4 256GB SSDs expecting that I would be able to keep the HDD and RAID the two SSD drives together. When I followed the disassembly guide I removed the HDD from the top (back) left position, but there seemed to be no way that I can connect both the mSata drives in the back left bay (or the bottom right bay either). I read that the back left bay is the place to install the SSDs, and my MSI reseller didn't say that I needed extra hardware to be able to super raid the drives, so what do I do?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
Re: issues installing 2 new SSDs in GT70 0ND laptop
« Reply #1 on: 03-May-13, 06:37:14 »

So you bought this from a reseller?

First off, do you have the SUPER Raid option? If not, then you'll need to talk to your reseller about getting it. Without it, those mSATA drives are basically useless for this laptop.
Not every GT70 comes with SuperRaid, only some versions of it do.
MSI GT70 0NE
Core i7 3610
16 GB DDR3
2 x 240 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD's in SuperRaid
500 GB HDD
GTX680M with Core@980 MHz and Memory@2100 MHz
Asus Xonar U3 USB Sound Card for Optical Output and Dolby Digital upconverting
Windows 8 with Start8
Custom notebook cooler

This system runs at a cool 65C while playing the newest and most demanding games at highest settings possible.

mrwashout

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 03-May-13, 06:42:33 »

Yes I bought it off a reseller and explained that I wanted to be able to buy the SSD's and use the super raid option to raid them with the HDD separate. They never said I needed to purchase anything other than the laptop and the drives - are you saying I need to purchase some other connector/controller?

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #3 on: 03-May-13, 07:00:00 »

Yes I bought it off a reseller and explained that I wanted to be able to buy the SSD's and use the super raid option to raid them with the HDD separate. They never said I needed to purchase anything other than the laptop and the drives - are you saying I need to purchase some other connector/controller?

The Super RAID is two mSATA drives on a dongle that is in the primary drive bay, the other drive sits in the other bay. The Intel controller sees both mSATA drives as two separate drives and lets you RAID them together.
Here is what they look like

If you don't have the dongle you will need to contact support and they will sell you the part you need, but you will have to buy the mSATA drives too if it didn't come with them, unless MSI can sell you those too.
My MSI Laptop is a GT70 0ND-491US
Unlocked BIOS, OCed thanks to Svet
Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #4 on: 03-May-13, 07:03:13 »

Forgot to add I have a GT70 OND as well and this is what the inside of mine looks like.

mrwashout

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 03-May-13, 07:04:53 »

No I don't have that connector - it is a bit disappointing that my reseller didn't simply explain that to me when they sold me my GT70 and the two Crucial M4 mSata SSDs. Any idea on the cost of the super raid dongle?

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #6 on: 03-May-13, 07:14:16 »

No I don't have that connector - it is a bit disappointing that my reseller didn't simply explain that to me when they sold me my GT70 and the two Crucial M4 mSata SSDs. Any idea on the cost of the super raid dongle?

I don't think its much, like $20, just call them tomorrow, I have read on here of people removing theres and installing normal 2.5in drives and I think they only spent like $15.

When you think about it spending even $40 on the part wouldn't be that bad for a $2000+ laptop.

I believe the number for them is 1-888-447-6564 and from the looks of it sales is 1-626-913-0828 op. 1

mrwashout

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 03-May-13, 07:15:41 »

I am in Australia, but I really appreciate the help, thanks to you and Darkhawk.

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #8 on: 03-May-13, 07:21:02 »

I am in Australia, but I really appreciate the help, thanks to you and Darkhawk.

Try this number 02-9748 0070, From the Contact Us part of the Australia page it looks like thats the number for spare parts.

mrwashout

• Neo
« Reply #9 on: 03-May-13, 13:01:12 »

Thanks - will chase it up

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 03-May-13, 19:22:23 »

You won't be able to order parts from MSI in Austrailia. I only know this because I'm helping another forum user out by sending him parts that he paid me to order for him.

MSI won't sell just the "SuperRaid" adapter. Others have tried and gotten no where.

I would honestly talk to your reseller. That is going to be your best bet going forward to get what you want.

Or maybe ebay if you can find one.
MSI GT70 0NE
Core i7 3610
16 GB DDR3
2 x 240 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD's in SuperRaid
500 GB HDD
GTX680M with Core@980 MHz and Memory@2100 MHz
Asus Xonar U3 USB Sound Card for Optical Output and Dolby Digital upconverting
Windows 8 with Start8
Custom notebook cooler

This system runs at a cool 65C while playing the newest and most demanding games at highest settings possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up