Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GT70 2OD Recovery Disks not working?  (Read 873 times)

Skowjar

• Neo
MSI GT70 2OD Recovery Disks not working?
« on: 04-August-13, 08:17:03 »

Hi guys,

I am really frustrated cause I have been trying to fix this problem for 4 hours and I have made absolutely no progress.. I was hoping someone could help me here!

First of all, when I boot my pc I don't get to see any keys that I can press, but the F3, F11 keys work when the MSI logo shows itself. I have been trying to recover my laptop into its factory settings because it all seems so messy right now. When I press F11 and choose which boot to boot from, I choose the CDROM and hit enter, the screen only goes black and starts the pc as usual as if nothing has happened.... I have tried running the recovery disk while I am at the desktop but it doesn't autorun and when I open the files, I have tried opening each and every program and the DVDRECOVERY1-3 just says "Stopped working" after few seconds..

While I boot up my PC as usual it says "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready" but I have to press a button and it disappears and works like normal after that, this is annoying and nothing big, but would it be nice to fix (which I was hoping the recovery system could somehow do).
I think I might know what could have caused all this trouble.. at the beginning when I just had received the laptop the BIOS would show itself, it would also show me the connected harddrives from Intel Rapid Storage-something. Now it only shows Bigfoot boot option and the MSI logo with no press-able buttons visible and the "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready", it feels very bad and I really need the system recovery to work, but it does not!

However, I am able to enter the Windows Recovery System through F3 but the MSI Recovery interface is just not there, it is only the standard one from windows 7. I actually tried using Windows 7's System Image Restore/Recovery through media, and it asked me to insert that last DVD of the recovery disks and click "retry", and I have put every single disk in and tried each time and it says that it cannot find any "system" in it. The reason I have W7 and not W8 now is because of an issue I had prior to this:
My graphic card had stopped being detected by my pc and shot the fan skyhigh constantly, so I had no other choice but to try and fix this somehow.. I was told that my VGA could be damaged and the driver could also be an issue and I tried reinstalling and it didn't help, however, I installed a new Windows 7 from a version I had laying around and then installed the Intel/Nvidia VGA driver again - and then, I was relieved that my graphics card was not dead and that it was working. But after a problem was solved, few more spawned.
I had to format all the partitions before the disc let me install a fresh OS on the drive, and I know that usually those hidden partitions have some drivers of some sort in them that it would be fatal if I removed them, but since I had the recovery disks and I was desperate to get my graphics card working, I went through with it without second thought, but it seems that if my recovery disks are not working, it was actually a bad idea to go through with it.
I am very tired right now and don't know what else to type cause there are probably other details that I forgot to mention.

The reason I don't look at RMA as a first option is because I bought this laptop from the states and I am in EU, so it would:
1. Cost alot to get the shippings done
2. You always take a risk in an international shipping process
3. Take Time/Delay.

Please, can anyone think of anything I can do? Is there nothing like an MSI System Recovery Tool that I can download? I have the recovery disks (1-4) and I just need to get them to work because I know they are functional, I have tried it once before to make sure of that. Thank you!

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
Re: MSI GT70 2OD Recovery Disks not working?
« Reply #1 on: 04-August-13, 08:41:12 »

One thing you can try is to put your system in Legacy vs using AHCI or EUFI then see if the disk boot, sounds like they may not have a MBR, if that doesn't work try downloading and using a normal Windows disk and just install your drivers yoru self.
My MSI Laptop is a GT70 0ND-491US
Unlocked BIOS, OCed thanks to Svet
Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center

Skowjar

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 04-August-13, 16:37:07 »

One thing you can try is to put your system in Legacy vs using AHCI or EUFI then see if the disk boot, sounds like they may not have a MBR, if that doesn't work try downloading and using a normal Windows disk and just install your drivers yoru self.

I can't enter BIOS in any way ever since I reinstalled OS to W7, the closest I get to option is through Bigfoot Boot-something where I press Shift+F10 and I can choose:
Network Boot Protocol; PXL or RDL
Boot order: PnP/BEV(BBS), ROM Disable, Int18h, Int 19H

I have however tried every boot order and none of them gives me a working solution.
Again, I can only use F3, F11 and Shift+F10 (from Bigfoot Boot-something)

Thanks for replying!

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #3 on: 05-August-13, 22:13:36 »

To get in to the bios you hit del or f2 at startup

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

My MSI Laptop is a GT70 0ND-491US
Unlocked BIOS, OCed thanks to Svet
Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up