Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me get RAID 1 working on FM2-A75MA-E35  (Read 3017 times)

zfmaxTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Not trying to use EFI. Not even sure why I'd want to.

I have two identical SSD's and I want to mirror them.

The motherboard recognizes them fine.

I go into settings/advanced/intergrated peripherals

I set "SATA Mode" to "RAID Mode"

I set "Board SATA RAID Mode: to "Legacy ROM"

I save and reboot

Hit Ctrl-F to get into SATA raid utility:
View Drive Assignments shows both SSD's (also shows my optical drive)
LD View/LD Define menu shows no LD's
I hit Ctrl-C to define
Change RAID mode from 0 to 1
Initialization:Fast Gigabyte Boundary: On Sector Size:512B Read Policy:Read Ahead Write Policy:Write Back
Change the assignment for both drives from N to Y
Ctrl-Y to Save
Ctrl-Y again to name: "Sys"
Warning about reinitializing the MBR, CTRL-Y to continue
Pops up in LD View Menu and shows LD 1 set up in RAID 1 DRV 2 Capacity(GB) 126.99 Status Functional

Pretty straightforward. Should oughta work, right?

Well, upon doing this, and exiting the Raid setup utility, it goes back through POST, shows the screen that (if you read fast) shows my RAID array, shows the BIOS screen message, and then the screen goes black and there's a blinking cursor in the upper left and it's hung.

I can hit F11 during the BIOS screen and get to the boot menu. Doesn't matter what I tell it to boot to, whether I tell it the CD or the USB stick, same result, the screen goes black, blinking cursor in the upper left, and we're hung. I've completely lost my ability to get it to boot to anything.

When I'm not in RAID mode, everything is fine (well sorta) ... I can boot to the CD or USB stick, I can install Windoze 7 onto a drive, I can boot to that drive, etc. I say "sorta" because it seems there's a couple of bugs. The boot order doesn't seem to work, I've got to hit F11 if I want it to boot to something other than the hard drive, and what's more, if I set anything to UEFI, I end up booting into the EFI shell and even after changing the setting back I can never get it to boot again until I clear the CMOS. So there appears to be some BIOS bugs, but hey, at least I can work around them.

But I NEED Raid 1! Critical data that's changing constantly throughout the workday. I need to mirror the drives. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

zfmaxTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: Please help me get RAID 1 working on FM2-A75MA-E35
« Reply #1 on: 26-August-13, 12:48:38 »

Nobody's ever run into this before?

Has ANYBODY been able to get RAID 1 to work on this board? Can you share with me the steps?

Nothing about it in the manual.

I really hate to return this board to Newegg. There's got to be a way to get it going.

I sent a support request to MSI but have zero response.

Panther57

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #2 on: 26-August-13, 20:30:54 »

Did you setup your Raid 1 array during a fresh install with the raid drivers?

Or am I reading this as an installed operating system that your adding a second SSD, and then trying to create a raid array? You can make a raid array without a fresh install as a secondary array, but as an OS installed array, no. As in the Raid array of drives that the OS is installed onto.

You mention a raid 1 mirror for critical information saver. Raid 1 array in mirror does not guarantee no loss of information, it duplicates and also can help glitches. Possibly if your concerned about data loss, you can do your mirror and a NAS or other backup that constantly saves your information, on a separate drive or one of many backup options.
I doubt it's your motherboard.

Good Luck.

MSI: 990FXA-GD80 v13.4
AMD: FX-8150
Kingston HyperX 1866 2X4GB
Sapphire 6870 Crossfire, EyeFinity 3 Screens
2-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD's / Raid0
Western Digital Cavier Black 500Gb HDD
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
Zalman: 9900NT
Windows 7 64bit Professional
CoolMax: CUG950B 950w
Antec P280 Case

MSI 990FXA-GD65
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Zalman 9700NT
Coolmax 900 PSU
MSI R7770
Kingston HyperX 4X4GB 1600
2-OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb/SSD's / Raid0
Samsung 500GB HDD
Windows 7 64Bit Professional
Antec P180b Case

SiliconDust: HDHomeRun Prime Digital Cable Card, 3 Tuners HDTV LAN. 2 PCs, 1 HDTV

zfmaxTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 05-September-13, 10:34:07 »

Well, I appreciate the response, but you kind of missed the core of the problem: Once the board is put into RAID mode, you lose your ability to boot to ANYTHING. You get a black screen with a blinking cursor. You can't boot to a CD or thumb drive to even install windows at that point. You're dead in the water. So it's got nothing to do with the drivers or anything like that, it's a BIOS issue.

Anyway, I got no response here, and I got no response from the support department either, and I was ready to send it back when in desperation I sent an email to the reviews department, the folks who respond to reviews on Newegg and the like (they post their email address in those responses). Voila, instant help, accurate information, and I got it going.

I'm a little bit annoyed with myself because I should have known better than to believe their "Live Updater" utility when it told me my V2.1 BIOS was the latest. An update to 2.2 as suggest by the reviews department solved the issue and RAID started working. Moral of the story, don't believe Live Updater. Go to the web site and check for yourself.

One other note, along the same lines. The printed manual that comes with the board has no description of configuring RAID at all. I went to the web site to get a newer manual to check it, but saw the manual was version 1.0. So I concluded there's only one version. Stupid stupid stupid! The version online is newer than the printed one and has a description. I figured this out myself but it took me a bit. Again, moral of the story, look deeper than what they're telling you on the surface. Live and learn.

The board actually works quite well now and I'm happy.

Panther57

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 05-September-13, 16:53:04 »

Then the answer must be the board...

I have made two different and several restores and I setup my bios, then hitting 'Ctrl F' as you know to setup my Raid0.. then with the 'Raid Driver' pack from MSI on an USB memory stick I installed. It should be an easy project. Possibly you didn't get a lot of answers because, you did have the correct procedures in your question.

I also have the sister board 990FXA-GD65 running in raid. I have moved up from many MSI boards over the years. This series started with the 790FX-GD70.. then the 800 series, now the 900... but under it all.. they are the same record breaking boards. I have had success with them, great overclocking.

I understand being frustrated with what your going thru.. assuming it is the board. Get it warrantied and get one that works. Oh.. and none of us use 'Live Update' that I know of... you will see posts suggesting to do bios updates without 'Live Update'. It can be ok for other updates... but for bios... it's just better not to use an on-line connection.

Good Luck
MSI: 990FXA-GD80 v13.4
AMD: FX-8150
Kingston HyperX 1866 2X4GB
Sapphire 6870 Crossfire, EyeFinity 3 Screens
2-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD's / Raid0
Western Digital Cavier Black 500Gb HDD
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
Zalman: 9900NT
Windows 7 64bit Professional
CoolMax: CUG950B 950w
Antec P280 Case

MSI 990FXA-GD65
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Zalman 9700NT
Coolmax 900 PSU
MSI R7770
Kingston HyperX 4X4GB 1600
2-OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb/SSD's / Raid0
Samsung 500GB HDD
Windows 7 64Bit Professional
Antec P180b Case

SiliconDust: HDHomeRun Prime Digital Cable Card, 3 Tuners HDTV LAN. 2 PCs, 1 HDTV
Pages: [1]   Go Up