Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GP60 - mSATA slot?  (Read 1935 times)

xtract

• Neo
MSI GP60 - mSATA slot?
« on: 16-September-13, 17:50:15 »

Hi!
I bought a MSI GP60 this weekend and I'm expecting to receive it during this week. It's a "basic" version, and comes without the hybrid hdd, which I wouldn't want anyway.

As I don't want to buy a large ssd and I'd like to still have the 500gb HDD, I'd like to install an mSATA SSD if there's a free slot in it. Can someone tell me if my future GP60 will have this slot?

And if it doesn't, anyone knows where to buy a disc tray that replaces the original so I can install a normal SSD without removing the normal HDD?

Thanks!

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
Re: MSI GP60 - mSATA slot?
« Reply #1 on: 18-September-13, 20:17:23 »

have a ask your reseller about it

xtract

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 20-September-13, 15:48:29 »

No mSSD possibility...

So any idea in how to install an mSSD or a normal SSD in it?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #3 on: 20-September-13, 20:49:02 »

if there is no msata slot, than you can install such

yes you can use normal size SSD instead at HDD's place

xtract

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 21-September-13, 01:18:36 »

is it possible to change the optical bay for a normal ssd?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #5 on: 21-September-13, 01:27:49 »

Yes but you need to purchase and install SSD caddy to be able to install HDD/SSD there

xtract

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 21-September-13, 01:47:01 »

yes, of course, but has to be the caddy special for my MSI or they are just universal?

Thanks for your patience!

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #7 on: 21-September-13, 01:49:48 »

they are universal

Hemispasm

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 22-November-13, 20:10:09 »

Hi all,

Sorry for reviving this thread but it is spot on. I am expecting my MSI GP60 on monday and I wanna take advantage of the msata connectors if available. People have been reporting that some GP60s have msata connectors and posted pictures at the notebookreview forum. I am posting two of them here because you have to be a member there to see them (kudos to alan) - i am sorry I couldn't figure out how to add an attachment.

These are located beneath the wifi card, one of them is used by it so it is probably a PCI Express Mini Card slot, could the one beneath it be an msata slot?

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: 22-November-13, 20:14:31 by Hemispasm »

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 23-November-13, 03:30:02 »

It won't work most likely. While it looks similar, the thing to keep in mind is that it is probably wired for Mini PCI-E....not mSATA.

Granted I don't have a GP60 to try it out on, but from what I remember, if it's not setup for mSATA, it won't work. I had an old HP Mini 311 with the same kind of slot, and the wireless card fit in both slots, worked in both slots. It was wired for Mini PCI-E, not mSATA, and people attempted to use mSATA's to no avail in them.
MSI GT70 0NE
Core i7 3610
16 GB DDR3
2 x 240 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD's in SuperRaid
500 GB HDD
GTX680M with Core@980 MHz and Memory@2100 MHz
Asus Xonar U3 USB Sound Card for Optical Output and Dolby Digital upconverting
Windows 8 with Start8
Custom notebook cooler

This system runs at a cool 65C while playing the newest and most demanding games at highest settings possible.

Hemispasm

• Neo
« Reply #10 on: 28-November-13, 00:17:09 »

Darkhawk thanks for your reply.

I finally received my GP60. Overall good impressions, given the price. Did not come with any operating system, I did a fresh install if Windows 7 64bit and used the drivers they had online. Comments/problems:

1. The configuration of my laptop was similar to the pics posted by Allan, meaning there was an extra connection beneath the wifi card - but there was no way to fit an msata ssd drive there anyways, mainly because of the capacitor. It wouldn't have worked probably.

2. Problem: The orange light stays always on, meaning that it uses nvidia all the time. I can't get it to work with the intel vga, although all drivers are installed and everything seems fine in device manager. The change should happen automatically right? Any ideas how to fix this?

3. Problem: The 5 out of 6 buttons at the top never light orange, as others have already mentioned. No idea why...

4. Problem: The G button does not work, opens a window to custom define its function.

5. The bios version it came with is E16GDIMS.30B, there are newer versions online but I can't for the life of me understand which version I should update to. They list different versions with respect to the operating system, since when does the OS have anything to do with the BIOS version?

I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
Pages: [1]   Go Up