Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GT60 0NE Reformat from Windows 8.1  (Read 1239 times)

Coolica

• Winki
MSI GT60 0NE Reformat from Windows 8.1
« on: 19-November-13, 05:01:24 »

So I recently updated my GT60 0NE's Windows 8 to 8.1, but now I'm deciding to just completely reformat my computer back to OEM factory settings.

I have read that there are some issues regarding the function of the F3 recovery partition (I haven't personally tried it yet.)  I've also read that another option is to use the built-in refresh/reset function in Windows 8 instead if the recovery partition doesn't work.

My questions are:

1. Which one should I use?  Assuming I can access the OEM factory settings recovery partition, should I use that or the built-in Windows 8 reset function?

2. If I use the built-in Windows 8 reset function, will it reinstall Windows without any of my laptop drivers and/or delete the recovery partition?

3. If I reformat my laptop using either method, will it not recognize the RAID 0 setup of my C drive?  That and built-in drivers are the main reason I want to stick with the OEM recovery partition.  Although hunting for the drivers will be easy, I have no clue how to set up RAID 0 (it came as default when I bought my laptop.)

3. I have 2 recovery partitions: BIOS_RVY and winRE_tools.  What are they for?  If possible, I'd like to keep the option of having the OEM recovery partition for future reformats for the drivers (unless it's not needed with the new Windows 8 reset function), but these recovery partitions are installed in different drives (one is on my C drive and the other is on my D drive.)

4. I am currently using the BETA EC firmware that prevents throttling.  Will reformatting my laptop cause it to revert back to the original EC firmware?  (I assume it won't since it's a firmware update.)

I hope someone can answer my questions.  Thanks in advance!

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
Re: MSI GT60 0NE Reformat from Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: 19-November-13, 13:03:07 »

1. I would use the OEM Factory Recovery partition (using F3 during boot). This will reset you back to your original settings as if you just bought the notebook.

2. It will essentially make the laptop as if you just brought it home from purchasing it. Your recovery partition will remain intact.

3. It will recognize the RAID 0 most likely (Windows should have the required Intel raid drivers built in to recognize it). But you will have to find all the drivers and install them on your own. You won't need to worry about the RAID drivers that much honestly.

4. BIOS_RVY is for recovering via the F3 option mentioned above. I'm not sure what the winRE_tools are for.

5. Reformatting the hard drive will not effect the EC firmware. It is seperate.

Coolica

• Winki
« Reply #2 on: 20-November-13, 04:19:03 »

1. I would use the OEM Factory Recovery partition (using F3 during boot). This will reset you back to your original settings as if you just bought the notebook.

2. It will essentially make the laptop as if you just brought it home from purchasing it. Your recovery partition will remain intact.

3. It will recognize the RAID 0 most likely (Windows should have the required Intel raid drivers built in to recognize it). But you will have to find all the drivers and install them on your own. You won't need to worry about the RAID drivers that much honestly.

4. BIOS_RVY is for recovering via the F3 option mentioned above. I'm not sure what the winRE_tools are for.

5. Reformatting the hard drive will not effect the EC firmware. It is seperate.

Thanks for the answers darkhawk.  Two last questions:

1. What exactly is the difference between using the OEM Factory Recovery partition through F3, and using the built-in windows 8.1 reset function?  Don't they both restore to factory settings?  I was thinking the difference was that OEM = restore to how you got your laptop originally, and Win 8.1 reset = clean install w/o any drivers or programs aside from basic windows OS.

2. After I upgraded to Windows 8.1 my screen "blinks" after I input my password and press enter to login.  It's not a black screen of death or anything, it literally just blinks once and proceeds as normal.  Is that something I should be worried about?  I have not been able to find anything online about it (most search results talk about black screen problems or flickering problems, while mine is literally just an ADD annoyance.)  This only started happening after I upgraded from 8 to 8.1

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 20-November-13, 08:01:30 »

Thanks for the answers darkhawk.  Two last questions:

1. What exactly is the difference between using the OEM Factory Recovery partition through F3, and using the built-in windows 8.1 reset function?  Don't they both restore to factory settings?  I was thinking the difference was that OEM = restore to how you got your laptop originally, and Win 8.1 reset = clean install w/o any drivers or programs aside from basic windows OS.

2. After I upgraded to Windows 8.1 my screen "blinks" after I input my password and press enter to login.  It's not a black screen of death or anything, it literally just blinks once and proceeds as normal.  Is that something I should be worried about?  I have not been able to find anything online about it (most search results talk about black screen problems or flickering problems, while mine is literally just an ADD annoyance.)  This only started happening after I upgraded from 8 to 8.1

1. I can't really comment on the Windows 8.1 function. I haven't looked into it. And I wouldn't trust it. I trust Windows to be an OS and that's it. Anything more fancy than that, and it's questionable in my mind if it will work. The F3 recovery I know will work, and I've used it myself a few times.  But that's more a matter of preference. I know that the F3 OEM restore makes it like you just bought the notebook.

2. I can't comment on this issue. I haven't upgraded to Windows 8.1 (I see no reason, personally), so I don't know anything about it. But, if the computer works like normal, and you have no issues....I wouldn't worry about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up