Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Using GSKILL ram and having ANY issues? Read Here first  (Read 112483 times)

RemusM

• Memory Expert
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    • Necromanthus
Re: Using GSKILL ram and having ANY issues? Read Here first
« Reply #50 on: 11-July-14, 13:59:27 »

Just hope they'll work, otherwise you'll have to reduce to some more stable settings

This setting is rock stable here:

Core  i7 4790K in Turbo mode (4.4 GHz)
32GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 at 1.55V)
GTX 780 Ti untouched (it's factory overclocked anyway).
 ;D

For 3DS Max, Photoshop and a few games ... ;-))

Mainboard: HC85
Processor: Zilog Z80 3.5MHz
System RAM: 48KB
Video RAM: 16KB (only 6912 bytes are used for Pixel Shader effects)
Video Card: integrated (16 colors)
PSU: 5V/3A

note: NO overclocking!

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: 11-July-14, 14:00:41 »

I believe you :)

There is a reason that your title is Memory Expert  :hat tip:
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

RemusM

• Memory Expert
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    • Necromanthus
« Reply #52 on: 11-July-14, 14:04:41 »

I believe you :)

There is a reason that your title is Memory Expert  :hat tip:

But I don't have his MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC (because I didn't like it ;D )
I have this one: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_GAMING_7.html

:biggthumbsup:

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: 11-July-14, 14:10:12 »

Both look pretty much the same (just the side panel on 9 AC), but I am happy with my Z87 G45 Gaming, unless it breaks, then I would get 7 or 9 AC.

Oops.. no, don't break.. live forever!

@marques

I think you should use
This setting is rock stable here:

Core  i7 4790K in Turbo mode (4.4 GHz)
32GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 at 1.55V)
GTX 780 Ti untouched (it's factory overclocked anyway).
 ;D

For 3DS Max, Photoshop and a few games ... ;-))
As it gives you more head room for OC :)
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

marquesjm

• CORPORAL
« Reply #54 on: 11-July-14, 15:09:18 »

Just got another problem.
My MSI 1.30 BIOS is not allowing me to configure tCL,trcd,trp,tras and DRAM voltage manually ...

==Nichrome: no longer duplicated post.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: 11-July-14, 15:17:04 »

Try to clear CMOS

>>Clear CMOS Guide<<

Will remove 1st post.

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #56 on: 14-July-14, 11:35:49 »

marquesjm,

Email me directly and I can help you set this up so your system is perfectly stable. Any stability problems only occur due to incorrect settings, or the system is not capable of the memory specs. In your case, the hardware is capable, but some settings may need to be tweaked then the system should be fast and smooth. G.Skill RAM runs flawlessly at high speeds with MSI motherboards. We noticed some motherboards do not automatically detect some advanced timings correctly, and that is what causes problems. Once it is manually set properly, there are no issues at all.

For any problems, shoot over an email with hardware specifications and we will be glad to help!  :)

ustech @ gskillusa.com

Maxobelix

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #57 on: 24-July-14, 07:26:11 »

Hi folks !

This topic saved me. My new computer was totally unstable (freezes and reboots, randomly).

MSI B85-G43 Gaming
2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (F3-1333C9D-16GIS)
MSI GTX760 OC Twin Frozer
SSD M500 Crucial 240 GB + 2x 1TB WDC Blue

With correct values in DRAM Bios options, it's STABLE !

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: 24-July-14, 09:53:40 »

Good to hear that :)

But the fact that GSkill is the only RAM manufacturer around that doesn't always work properly with MSI boards is just.. weird.

Sea Dog

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Aye! Cannons Be Loadin' Cap'n!
« Reply #59 on: 31-July-14, 19:16:18 »

Good to hear that :)

But the fact that GSkill is the only RAM manufacturer around that doesn't always work properly with MSI boards is just.. weird.

Not weird at all. It's because on some of them the SPD programming is, shall we say unusual? They can do what they want I suppose even though JEDEC may not be pleased about it. The mainboard manufacturers like MSI just have to employ their BIOS engineers to develop and come up with BIOS revisions to support them. There is a long story in all this as told to me by my uncle, but will spare the public at large.  ;-))
Recent Acquisitions: Z68A-GD80(G3), Z77A-GD80, X79A-GD65(8D) Played Around With A Z87-MPower Max, 4770k. At Last! A Z97 To Play With For Awhile!

P67A-GD65(B3)/i7 2700k/Zalman 9900/GTX 680's SLI/Corsair 2X4GB 2133/WD 600 V.Raptor & 640 Caviar Black/iHAS424/Lian-Li 60BPlus II/Samsung T220/Corsair HX850/W7 Ultimate 64 SP1 (Mothballed)

MSI X58 Pro-E/i7 950/Zalman 9900/ASUS 4870X2 Tri-Fan/Corsair 3X2GB PC3-12800/WD 300 V.Raptor/WD 640 Caviar Black/Lite-On iHAS422/Lian-Li 60BPlus II W/Samsung T220/Corsair TX850/W7 Ultimate 64 SP1

MSI P45 Platinum/E8600 (EO)/Zalman 9900/ASUS 4870/Corsair 2X1GB PC2-8500 @ 1067/2X WD 150 Raptor X's/Lite-On LH-20A1L/Lian Li 60BPlus II/Samsung 906BW/Thermaltake TP 850W/XP SP3

smithchrism

• SERGEANT
« Reply #60 on: 04-August-14, 16:51:16 »

Hello,

A bit of help here if anyone can spare a moment or two.

I own a MSI Z87 MPower with Windows 8.1 OS.  I have some G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Mhz memory in my system, a total of 16 gigs where each stick is 4 gigs so all of my memory slots are populated.

My system at times is a bit unstable.  Basically, historically it BSODs about every three or four days.  I have had periods when it would BSOD multiple times a day and the system was virtually unuseable.  Various ways have been used to alleviate this.

I thought I had the issue licked for a month or so but a new issue popped up: my network would stop working requiring a reboot.  In order to resolve this, I decided to update my BIOS to the latest/greatest and updated a couple of others things which showed up on MSI's website such as the Intel chipset drivers.  Since I did this, a week or so ago, my BSOD's returned.

I have since removed my killer network software and installed just the NIC driver only (so I don't have the stupid system tray app anymore...) and did some other stuff.

Things seem better and so far I am BSOD free for 3 or 4 days.  It's hard to say if my issue is resolved and time will ultimately tell.

Basically, I was down to one of multiple causes of my BSODs:

1) The killer NIC driver/utility
2) Combination of having the NIC and the wireless NIC going at the same time (the Wireless NIC is now disabled for the last week or so...).
3) Possibility of having Hyper-V installed was causing the BSODs somehow.  I can't help but notice the BSODs come and go depending on when Hyper-V it seems.  I need it though.

I am interested in investigating the possibility of my memory being the problem if I get another BSOD in the near future.  I tried to change the settings as described in this thread to experiment a bit, but they are all locked.  I can't seem to change them.  I can disable XMP, manually set the memory speed to DDR1600 or whatever speed I want, I can link/unlink and other various stuff.   However, I can not change the timings and such as they are always greyed out.

How do I get to the point where I can change the timings and such?  I would love to change the timings but leave the memory going at DDR3 2133 Mhz if possible.  Any thoughts, suggestions, or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #61 on: 05-August-14, 16:12:50 »

Set DRAM Timing Mode to Unlinked, then you should be able to adjust timings.

Post some pictures of the advanced timings page so we can see if anything is being detected incorrectly. 

smithchrism

• SERGEANT
« Reply #62 on: 05-August-14, 17:55:48 »

I tried that already and did it again.  Setting the mode to unlinked does not allow me to adjust the timings in BIOS.  I can see the timings, but the numbers are greyed out with the work Auto next to them.  I can click to my heart's content.  I can't change anything.  I went in there and made some other changes, basically taking just about everything memory related from Auto to some value and rebooting to see if that did anything.  At this point, in the BIOS, all I can really do is enable or disable XMP to change the memory.  It appears I can set the memory to any speed I want as well, such as DDR3-1800.  At this point, no matter what I do I can not change the timing settings within the BIOS itself.

I just had a thought: should I do this in the MSI command center?!  Or, perhaps there is another utility I should use to do this?

I'll post whatever pictures I can although I don't know if I have webspace or not.  I'll have to check.

Thanks for the help by the way!

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #63 on: 05-August-14, 19:16:02 »

Did you go into Advance DRAM Configuration?  Did you try the + key to change values?

Hard reset BIOS and try again.

jrrtoken

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #64 on: 06-August-14, 20:28:50 »

Relevant specs:
MSI H97M-E33
Intel Core i3-4150
G.Skill Ripjaw X-Series 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Just booted it today and had weird issues installing the Intel graphics drivers. The suggestions in the OP worked, but, is there a way to make my RAM more compatible with my system?

smithchrism

• SERGEANT
« Reply #65 on: 07-August-14, 07:23:51 »

Did you go into Advance DRAM Configuration?  Did you try the + key to change values?

BAH!!  I have gotten so used to, and fond of, using the mouse in the UEFI BIOS, it never occurred to me I may actually have to use the keyboard for something.  The '+' key did it!!  The simple things I tell ya...   :bonk:

I actually got to looking at the command center utility.  It has an ability to make the changes from within Windows so I was able to do what I wanted.  The keyboard thing in the BIOS is still making me ill.

I indicated I was going to disable XMP and let my run at 1600.  I changed my mind with hoping I can still have the memory run at 2133: I am increasing each of the timings by one which I hope will help the memory relax and calm down a bit leading to better stability.  The exception to this is the command rate which will be left at 2.

My memory has been like this for two days.  So far, all is well and everything is running smoothly.  The problem I'm having is typically my BSODs are spaced 3-4 days apart.  So it is hard to make a change and test/wait for results while reaching conclusions.  I'm going to wait a week.  If all stays well, I will then reinstall my Hyper-V and observe the results then.

Basically, I'm at the point where either my memory is the problem or Hyper-V is exposing some sort of an issue with my system.  I am also concerned about my Killer NIC.  With hyper-V you have to create a virtual switch which is tied to a NIC, the Killer NIC on my board in this case.  This switch is then shared by the host OS and the Virtual Machines (this all assumes the VMs use Ethernet of course...).  I'm wondering when Hyper-v is enabled and I create the virtual switch, if the Killer NIC driver can't handle the host OS and the VMs using the same card at the same time properly leading to system instability.

It's a theory.  I really need to send my mini dump files to Microsoft and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help!!  It is a big deal. 

Respectfully,
Chris

neoroy

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #66 on: 07-August-14, 12:24:34 »

I think I don't have problem with Gskill RAM but only abit down in RAM overclocking performance with Gskill Ares F3-2133C9D-8GAB, now I use Z87 Mpower SP and can manage to 2600MHz (11-13-12-30) with CR 2T (2800MHz also capable) but with my previous motherboard Z77-GD80 I can use  2600MHz (11-13-12-30) with CR 1T, btw VDIMM same like on Z87 Mpower SP which is 1.65volt (stock value).
Intel Xeon E5-2623 V3 @3.3GHz
MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
GALAX GTX980Ti GOC LN2 @1500MHz stock volt
Gskill Ripjaws V 4x4G 2400MHz DDR4
Pioneer SSD APS-SL3N 240GB
Seagate HDD 1TB 7200rpm SATA3
Seagate HDD 500GB 7200rpm SATA3
DELL U2713HMT
CoolerMaster SilentPro M2 1000W Silver
Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Razer Mamba TE Chroma
Razer Goliathus Extended
SAMSUNG Bluray Combo SH-B123L
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Sea Dog

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #67 on: 07-August-14, 13:58:08 »

:think:  Not sure what you mean by 'stock value'. 1.65v's being applied is hardly a stock value.

I am also concerned about my Killer NIC.

Best addressed in a new thread, not in a RAM sticky.  :-))
Recent Acquisitions: Z68A-GD80(G3), Z77A-GD80, X79A-GD65(8D) Played Around With A Z87-MPower Max, 4770k. At Last! A Z97 To Play With For Awhile!

P67A-GD65(B3)/i7 2700k/Zalman 9900/GTX 680's SLI/Corsair 2X4GB 2133/WD 600 V.Raptor & 640 Caviar Black/iHAS424/Lian-Li 60BPlus II/Samsung T220/Corsair HX850/W7 Ultimate 64 SP1 (Mothballed)

MSI X58 Pro-E/i7 950/Zalman 9900/ASUS 4870X2 Tri-Fan/Corsair 3X2GB PC3-12800/WD 300 V.Raptor/WD 640 Caviar Black/Lite-On iHAS422/Lian-Li 60BPlus II W/Samsung T220/Corsair TX850/W7 Ultimate 64 SP1

MSI P45 Platinum/E8600 (EO)/Zalman 9900/ASUS 4870/Corsair 2X1GB PC2-8500 @ 1067/2X WD 150 Raptor X's/Lite-On LH-20A1L/Lian Li 60BPlus II/Samsung 906BW/Thermaltake TP 850W/XP SP3

Bernhard

• Support the MSI Red Rockets Team Members 나는 한국을 사랑
  • GENERAL
  • Read the user manual first. Properly
« Reply #68 on: 07-August-14, 14:18:46 »

Overclocking memory to these speeds has no real world benefit, especially considering the reduction/relaxation in timings that have to be done. Its counter productive.
Then the insistence of 1,65V when every single data sheet of Intel clearly states 1,5V with an absolute max of 1,575V. But everyone has to take their chances, its your OC. The fact that BSODs occur after having applied these voltages over time may just take its toll on the mem controller, as you did operate outside the spec. Ever considered that the mem controller has degraded because of the voltage exceedences ? Intel didn't add those max voltages for nothing.
But no one ever wants to accept the fact that some CPUs and their integrated mem controllers will deteriorate quicker than others, just like the variations we see with every single CPU sample in terms of OC'ability. Reminds me of the picture of the frog trying to force the Stork's beak open. The denial of the inevitable.
1.B350F Gaming; R5-1600; Crucial MX300 275GB, Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D240FSC 2X8gb; Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8gb; Seasonic750W; Win10-64; LG DVD
2.FUJITSU LIFEBOOK S751 QM67;i5-2520M;2 X 4GB 1333Crucial CT256 MX100; Win10-64; Orico Dual Bay USB3 Dock

"veni vedi doctus"
MSI 미친

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #69 on: 07-August-14, 19:10:21 »

jrrtoken,

As long as the DRAM settings are manually input, the system should be fully stable and compatible. If you would like, post a thread with pictures of BIOS/EFI settings and we can take a look and make sure everything is correct. If it's more convenient, you can also send it to me directly.

ustech@gskillusa.com

smithchrism,

Good to hear. To somewhat speed up the process, you can also run a benchmark test like Prime95 to place the system under 100% load to see if that causes any issues. If a stress test is perfectly stable, most likely the CPU, memory, and entire system is stable as well. Any instability would be caused by software or something else. Keep us posted!  :)

neoroy

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #70 on: 09-August-14, 10:37:35 »

:think:  Not sure what you mean by 'stock value'. 1.65v's being applied is hardly a stock value.

Best addressed in a new thread, not in a RAM sticky.  :-))

Oops sorry Sea Dog, I meant XMP profile value ^_^

@Bernard, yup I know it's not giving much any improvement in real life only in synthetic benchmark, it just a hobby of OC :)

Intel Xeon E5-2623 V3 @3.3GHz
MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
GALAX GTX980Ti GOC LN2 @1500MHz stock volt
Gskill Ripjaws V 4x4G 2400MHz DDR4
Pioneer SSD APS-SL3N 240GB
Seagate HDD 1TB 7200rpm SATA3
Seagate HDD 500GB 7200rpm SATA3
DELL U2713HMT
CoolerMaster SilentPro M2 1000W Silver
Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Razer Mamba TE Chroma
Razer Goliathus Extended
SAMSUNG Bluray Combo SH-B123L
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

THUNDERGOD

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #71 on: 28-August-14, 23:09:05 »

Fix did nothing for me :nooo: Computer completely freezes everytime I launch a game on steam (screen goes dark, can't even turn numlock on/off). Weird thing is that it seems to work fine on windows  :think:
Btw, ran Memtest86+ twice, no errors

Specs are as follows:

Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0 (stock clock, hyper-threading and turbo boost disabled)
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard (BIOS v1.5)
GigaByte GeForce GTX760 2GB DDR5 256-Bit Windforce
Corsair AX860i PSU
G.SKill RipjawsX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz F3-2133C9D-16GXH

Any help?  :confused2:

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: 29-August-14, 02:55:02 »

Seems like a problem with drivers or other software, not the hardware itself. Open topic in MSI intel boards section and tell what you have done (+ paste this text you've got here).

Sinster

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #73 on: 18-September-14, 21:32:26 »

With the G.Skill issue do you think that it was my problem.  In Windows my SSD wouldn't show the files, but under properties it showed some space was occupied.   I also received a HYPERVISOR_ERROR BSOD.

Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 4Gb x 4.
Video 1: 390X 

Video 2: 390X LE
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 7
BIOS: 1.90
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
RAM: G-Skill 16Megs
PSU: Antec HCG-900

ssateneth

• SERGEANT
« Reply #74 on: 28-September-14, 18:53:56 »

Does this thread apply to DDR4 RAM? I am having an issue with my g.skill DDR4 RAM and X99S XPOWER motherboard. I am just going to copy paste my post from over on g skill and hope to get relevant answers.

F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM kit
i7-5960X
MSI X99S XPOWER AC motherboard.

My symptoms are somewhat random. They could be any of the following:

Not all RAM is detected. Only 28GB detected one time, another time only 20GB detected. Always detects 32GB in 2133MHz mode.
Computer powers on, then powers off after 8 seconds. Requires CMOS reset.
Computer powers on, and loads fully, or partially into BIOS settings screen, freezes, and powers off.
Computer powers on, but hangs at some point during Windows loading screen before desktop comes up.
Loads fully into desktop, but BSODs quickly into a "page fault in nonpaged area".

Here is my BIOS settings. If I use default memory settings instead of XMP, it works flawlessly (same 3.5ghz core and ring, bclk switches between 125.03 and 100 or xmp/non-xmp. all voltages remain on auto except vccsa which is set to 1.25). How do I get this stable at rated speeds? Is my ram broken?

Board: X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
BIOS:  1.62 Beta
VGA:   EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU:  Seasonic X1250 1250W (104A 12v rail)
CPU:  AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW

HDD/SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 2 TB
COOLER: Custom loop (EK Threadripper block)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 USB
Mouse: Logitech G403 USB
OC: 4.2 Ghz @ 1.45v

RemusM

• Memory Expert
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    • Necromanthus
« Reply #75 on: 29-September-14, 06:07:16 »

F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM kit
i7-5960X
MSI X99S XPOWER AC motherboard.

Not all RAM is detected. Only 28GB detected one time, another time only 20GB detected.
Always detects 32GB in 2133MHz mode.

If I use default memory settings instead of XMP, it works flawlessly

http://ark.intel.com/products/82930
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) : 64 GB
Memory Types : DDR4-1333/1600/2133
Memory Channels : 4
Max Memory Bandwidth : 68 GB/s

For 32GB, anything faster than 2133MHz is gambling.
On the top of that, DDR4-3000 (2933 + 66) is not a standard.
Why did you buy that memory kit anyway?
 ;D

ssateneth

• SERGEANT
« Reply #76 on: 29-September-14, 21:21:08 »

I'm really hoping are are a troll. Telling me that I can only run DDR4-2133 mode is outrageous, considering this is the best overclocking motherboard MSI offers.

P.S. I had 32GB detected under DDR4-2750 mode quad channel (125 bclk, 200MHz DRAM ref clock. essentially a 1:22 ratio. 22 x 125 = DDR4-2750. 24 x 125 = DDR4-3000) and it was stable, so obviously it can run faster that the manufacturer guidelines.

PPS: POSTED and booted at DDR4-3000 using XMP after reseating CPU and multiple CMOs resets and trial/error seating DIMMs (only dual channel so far though). I mean, if you have one of the best overclocking motherboards out on the market, why use "stock speed" parts?

Proof pics below. Just click them, dont want to spam thread

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_05.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_06.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_07.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_08.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_09.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_10.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9768004/temp/MSI_SnapShot_11.png

edit: got triple channel ddr4-3000 working. May have bad ram slot or bad ram stick. not sure yet. still testing.

RemusM

• Memory Expert
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    • Necromanthus
« Reply #77 on: 30-September-14, 03:37:37 »

Telling me that I can only run DDR4-2133 mode is outrageous, considering this is the best overclocking motherboard MSI offers.

P.S. I had 32GB detected under DDR4-2750 mode quad channel (125 bclk, 200MHz DRAM ref clock. essentially a 1:22 ratio. 22 x 125 = DDR4-2750. 24 x 125 = DDR4-3000) and it was stable, so obviously it can run faster that the manufacturer guidelines.

As I said before, for 32GB, anything faster than 2133MHz is gambling.
Simply because, your CPU IMC does not quarantee that (not enough memory bandwidth).
But obviously, you can try.
Do they run stable in quad-channel at 2400MHz?
If so, that's very good.
Do they run stable in quad-channel at 2666MHz?
If so, that's great!

If you want more, you need more CPU samples to try.
 ;D

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: 30-September-14, 03:55:03 »

As I said before, for 32GB, anything faster than 2133MHz is gambling.
Simply because, your CPU IMC does not quarantee that (not enough memory bandwidth).
But obviously, you can try.
Do they run stable in quad-channel at 2400MHz?
If so, that's very good.
Do they run stable in quad-channel at 2666MHz?
If so, that's great!

If you want more, you need more CPU samples to try.
 ;D

Guys: please don't blame MSI, or bad motherboard if RAM doesn't work above CPU specs! As Remus said, it's gambling of anything above CPU specs. Speak to Intel, possibly they will explain better memory controller.

+1 to quote

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #79 on: 01-October-14, 19:03:45 »

THUNDERGOD,

What settings did you input for the RAM? Run a stress test like Prime95 to see if it errors. If it does, shoot me an email and I will try to help. [ustech@gskillusa.com]

ssateneth,

Keep us posted, 32GB DDR4-3000 may require some fine tweaking with that motherboard but it seems like you're on the right track. What is your SA Voltage with the previous tests?

**Overclocking margin varies for each CPU model and each CPU of that model. It is up to the user to test and see what their particular CPU is capable of as far as max CPU and DRAM Frequency. Only some people and companies that test a large sample of CPUs will know the average range of a particular model CPU. Higher than the rated specification is what we call the silicon lottery.

As far as motherboards, some will overclock better than others, some may have a more mature BIOS/EFI than others. When deciding which to use, it's best to do research to see what others have achieved that are closest to your target. Every motherboard company will state basically the same "DDR4 3333(OC) / 3110(OC) / 3000(OC) / 2750(OC) / 2666(OC) / 2600(OC) / 2400(OC) / 2200(OC) / 2133" so of course people think it is compatible and will purchase the product to attempt it. You can't blame them.

Information simply needs to be more clear, starting from the manufacturers supplying more detailed information, rather than the point and blame game.

Aliceinhell

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #80 on: 05-October-14, 00:18:32 »

Tried the initial post and it didn't fix my problem.

Problem is this:  I have 4x Sticks of G.Skill Ram, specs as follows:  F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (aka DDR3 1866 CL9 10 9 28 1.5V XMP PC3-14900.

Out of four Ram slots, only the 2 closest to the CPU work.  I can fill these 2 up without any issues, and I can use ANY combination of the four Ram sticks I have in these two slots.

The instant I use either of the other two slots, I get an error " 2b ".  (Took me ages to figure that one out, kept on thinking it was 26 )

Thus out of the 16G I have, I can only have 8G operational.  All parts listed below (with exception of the ram) were purchased yesterday.  Ram still works perfectly in my other system.

MSI Z97 Gamer 7
Bios Revision 1.4 upgraded to 1.5 (in hopes it would help).
Intel I5 4690K
Coolermaster Nepton 280XL Water Cooler
Coolermaster Haf 902 Evo Lan Box
Coolermaster Vanguard 1000W Power Supply
Windows 10 running on a SSD, Plus a few other non-relevant drives, fan controllers and fans.
Inno3D 660 TI.   (I have a MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G on Pre-order atm which I will swap in upon arrival).

As well as changing the Bios to the settings listed in the first post, I have also changed them to the values my Ram is rated at on the stickers.  Both result in 2b error messages the instant I use either of the other slots.

As of yet I have not experienced a single BSOD despite using Windows 10 and G.Skill Ram. Really my only issue is not being able to use more than 2 Ram slots.

Sea Dog

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #81 on: 05-October-14, 02:16:08 »

Sounds like damaged CPU socket pins to me.

ssateneth

• SERGEANT
« Reply #82 on: 08-October-14, 10:39:35 »

G.Skill Support, after about of week of not touching settings or rebooting, I got around to rebooting to fiddling with settings again. Main target was to see if enabling "SVID communication" would fix the CPU package power sensor to be accurate when under a 125MHz BClk.

This motherboard, or CPU, is crazy.

Nothing I would do would allow the motherboard to boot under 125MHz BClk. Stock multipliers, reduced multipliers, stock memory, reduced memory, stock volts, higher volts, fiddling with various CPU features, C states, even default settings.. nothing. Wouldn't even let me post at 125MHz BClk.

Recall CMOS resets would cause the motherboard to act weird too, so I gave that a shot. Held down CMOS reste button for 30 seconds, started up, posted at default settings (100 BClk). Figures what the hell, try the XMP-3000 setting again, and a couple other settings to force constant core speed (not adaptive).

IT POSTED?!?!?!

But it wasn't stable. Wouldn't load OS, or load memtest. So I loaded default settings again, then just the XMP-3000 profile, rebooted..

Memtest rock stable.
Windows rock stable.

I just... I don't even. I need some explanation to what is going on here. Is there some sort of training period when powering on? Does it store these settings somewhere? Is it possible to see these or save them? I'm afraid of powering off the PC because I might lose the capability of running 3000MHz memory again. It's like this motherboard/CPU has a mind of it's own.

I'm going to turn off the PC and back on and see what happens. If it continues to POST, I'll try disabling hyperthreading as I usually do and post back with any results.

triantafyllos.stergiadis

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #83 on: 08-October-14, 12:31:05 »

Evening Guys.... i got a problem that costs me a lot of stress and nerves!
I bought some parts to build my new PC...
The parts are:
MSI z97 gaming 5
intel core i5 4690k
R9 280x
AND G.Skill F3-19200CL11D-8GBXLD for Dimms ....

and the problem starts... builded up the parts and press the power button! no luck on booting! not a single figure at my monitor! the error debug led sais No 55 (early memory initialization). After i read that at the manual of my MBD i decided to try put on my old dimms (1333mhz) to see if its my mbd's problem or the dimms! my PC booted normally and everything works perfect! so the problem is at the memories! i got some questions and i want you to help me find a solution!

First: Are these Dimms G.Skill F3-19200CL11D-8GBXLD compatible with my motherboard (z97 gaming 5)!

Second: If they are compatible with my motherboard why it cant boot? should i change any settings in BIOS (while i have my old dimms on) and then put on my new ones?

Third: How possible is that my dimms are broken from the factory? (i allready send them back to the seller so i wont lose the DOA 7days but if you tell me a solution and the dimms are not dead i will try put them on again following your guidance)

Forth: If you gonna tell me to change settings from BIOS just be specific coz i dont have much expierience at OC yet!

Pls help me... i am desperate...and i dont want to lose my 120euros...  :undecided:  :confused2: :confused2:

Sea Dog

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #84 on: 08-October-14, 14:14:20 »

G.Skill Support, after about of week of not touching settings or rebooting, I got around to rebooting to fiddling with settings again. Main target was to see if enabling "SVID communication" would fix the CPU package power sensor to be accurate when under a 125MHz BClk.

This motherboard, or CPU, is crazy.

Nothing I would do would allow the motherboard to boot under 125MHz BClk. Stock multipliers, reduced multipliers, stock memory, reduced memory, stock volts, higher volts, fiddling with various CPU features, C states, even default settings.. nothing. Wouldn't even let me post at 125MHz BClk.

Recall CMOS resets would cause the motherboard to act weird too, so I gave that a shot. Held down CMOS reste button for 30 seconds, started up, posted at default settings (100 BClk). Figures what the hell, try the XMP-3000 setting again, and a couple other settings to force constant core speed (not adaptive).

IT POSTED?!?!?!

But it wasn't stable. Wouldn't load OS, or load memtest. So I loaded default settings again, then just the XMP-3000 profile, rebooted..

Memtest rock stable.
Windows rock stable.

I just... I don't even. I need some explanation to what is going on here. Is there some sort of training period when powering on? Does it store these settings somewhere? Is it possible to see these or save them? I'm afraid of powering off the PC because I might lose the capability of running 3000MHz memory again. It's like this motherboard/CPU has a mind of it's own.

I'm going to turn off the PC and back on and see what happens. If it continues to POST, I'll try disabling hyperthreading as I usually do and post back with any results.

@ ssateneth;

:think:  This is MSI support, not G.Skill. You don't even acknowledge if you own an MSI product or what that product is. Please provide more information of the system.

Added: Ah, Reply #74 has your system. Sucks when posters don't have a signature and we have to go wasting our volunteer time looking around for their system info.  :biggthumbsdown:

Sea Dog

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #85 on: 08-October-14, 14:15:57 »

Evening Guys.... i got a problem that costs me a lot of stress and nerves!
I bought some parts to build my new PC...
The parts are:
MSI z97 gaming 5
intel core i5 4690k
R9 280x
AND G.Skill F3-19200CL11D-8GBXLD for Dimms ....

and the problem starts... builded up the parts and press the power button! no luck on booting! not a single figure at my monitor! the error debug led sais No 55 (early memory initialization). After i read that at the manual of my MBD i decided to try put on my old dimms (1333mhz) to see if its my mbd's problem or the dimms! my PC booted normally and everything works perfect! so the problem is at the memories! i got some questions and i want you to help me find a solution!

First: Are these Dimms G.Skill F3-19200CL11D-8GBXLD compatible with my motherboard (z97 gaming 5)!

Second: If they are compatible with my motherboard why it cant boot? should i change any settings in BIOS (while i have my old dimms on) and then put on my new ones?

Third: How possible is that my dimms are broken from the factory? (i allready send them back to the seller so i wont lose the DOA 7days but if you tell me a solution and the dimms are not dead i will try put them on again following your guidance)

Forth: If you gonna tell me to change settings from BIOS just be specific coz i dont have much expierience at OC yet!

Pls help me... i am desperate...and i dont want to lose my 120euros...  :undecided:  :confused2: :confused2:

Here is the Compatibility List. Select the Memory or OC Memory Tab and look for your RAM;

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#support-cpu

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #86 on: 08-October-14, 14:36:33 »

ssateneth,

Email us directly, it may be easier to discuss since this is a general thread for G.Skill.
[ustech@gskillusa.com]

When the X99S XPOWER, boots up properly, take screen shots of the memory settings / timings / voltages. If you encounter a problem, then you can cross check. With AUTO settings, the motherboard can change whenever it wants, so maybe with manual configuration you can get it more stable. Adaptive mode seems to be problematic for extreme speeds such as DDR4-3000, so you don't want to use that. Let me know how it goes.

triantafyllos.stergiadis,

Test one module at a time to see if a stick can boot up. Do you have the latest BIOS/EFI? We need to determine whether it is a compatibility issue or defective module. Let me know the results and I can help you from there. Feel free to email me directly as that may be more convenient. ustech@gskillusa.com  :) 

triantafyllos.stergiadis

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #87 on: 08-October-14, 14:38:08 »

Here is the Compatibility List. Select the Memory or OC Memory Tab and look for your RAM;

I know that this is the combatibility list!!! they got 2 Memories with the model F3 19200 but they are different GBs than mine! the model is the same but not the GBs... the combatibility change if you got different amount of GBs? thats the question!

sirPlayah

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #88 on: 10-October-14, 19:47:09 »

so i have some random reboots on my system with MSI z87 g43 gamming can be RAM issues?? dont matter what im doing (idle, gamming) the PC reboot itself without any BSOD, sorry for my english

System Spec
MSI z87- g43 gaming
Fonte Corsair C550M
Intel core I5-4570 3.2GHZ
Gskill ripjaws X~ddr3 1600 MHZ 2 x4 GB
Asus R9 270x 2 GB directCU II TOP
HDD Western Digital Black 1TB SATA III 64MB
windows 8,1 x 64

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #89 on: 13-October-14, 15:33:19 »

triantafyllos.stergiadis,

In a sense, because not all motherboards can support high capacity AND high frequency.

sirPlayah,

Did you enable XMP? Or manually set the DRAM Frequency DDR3-1600, DRAM Timings tCl 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, DRAM Voltage 1.50V. Try one stick at a time to see if each works smoothly. Let us know the result.

MSIMatt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #90 on: 14-October-14, 16:34:48 »

My computer seems pretty stable when everything is at stock:
- MSI Z97-G45 (BIOS is the default that was installed when I bought it ~July).
- 4 x 8 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 1866
- i7-4770K
- Zotac 4GB 770 GTX

However it seems to be rather unstable when I attempt to OC the cpu even by rather modest amounts (I cannot recall the exact speeds since I gave up on it a couple of months ago). Random crashes and restarts mainly. I just saw this thread now and wondered whether my RAM may have had something to do with my OC problems (that probably combined with the fact that I am an OC newbie).

What speed and timings should I be using for the RAM in this case? The default is apparently 1886 and 10-11-10 @ 1.5 V. Should I be setting it to 1600 instead and 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55V? For reference, the MSI support website doesn't list this RAM as supported, and all other G.Skill RAM that is listed has a max speed of 1600. Also, I seem to have forgotten almost everything I learned during my brief attemp at OC-ing...do I need to disable XMP too?

I'm really only interested in having a stable basis upon which to OC the CPU a little (my computer is primarly used for CPU intensive modelling and rendering....and a little gaming of course ;) ). I heard that the default BIOS is a bit crappy for this, but I am quite terrified of flashing the update based on quite a few reports of people bricking their mobos.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: 14-October-14, 16:43:30 »

My computer seems pretty stable when everything is at stock:
- MSI Z97-G45 (BIOS is the default that was installed when I bought it ~July).
- 4 x 8 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 1866
- i7-4770K
- Zotac 4GB 770 GTX

However it seems to be rather unstable when I attempt to OC the cpu even by rather modest amounts (I cannot recall the exact speeds since I gave up on it a couple of months ago). Random crashes and restarts mainly. I just saw this thread now and wondered whether my RAM may have had something to do with my OC problems (that probably combined with the fact that I am an OC newbie).

What speed and timings should I be using for the RAM in this case? The default is apparently 1886 and 10-11-10 @ 1.5 V. Should I be setting it to 1600 instead and 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55V? For reference, the MSI support website doesn't list this RAM as supported, and all other G.Skill RAM that is listed has a max speed of 1600. Also, I seem to have forgotten almost everything I learned during my brief attemp at OC-ing...do I need to disable XMP too?

I'm really only interested in having a stable basis upon which to OC the CPU a little (my computer is primarly used for CPU intensive modelling and rendering....and a little gaming of course ;) ). I heard that the default BIOS is a bit crappy for this, but I am quite terrified of flashing the update based on quite a few reports of people bricking their mobos.
http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)   32 GB
Memory Types   DDR3-1333/1600
# of Memory Channels   2
Max Memory Bandwidth   25.6 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported ‡    No

Set to 1333MHz and try again as you're using 4 modules, lower frequency might be needed to OC CPU a bit more.

MSIMatt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #92 on: 14-October-14, 17:22:26 »

Quote from: Nichrome
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)   32 GB
Memory Types   DDR3-1333/1600
# of Memory Channels   2
Max Memory Bandwidth   25.6 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported ‡    No

Set to 1333MHz and try again as you're using 4 modules, lower frequency might be needed to OC CPU a bit more.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me, much appreciated (I wouldn't ask if I knew where or what to look for!). I will try that as soon as I get home. Should I also adjust the RAM timings be the 9-9-9-24 listed elsewhere in the thread, or leave them as the default listed for the RAM 10-11-10 (not sure what the tRAS should be)?

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #93 on: 14-October-14, 18:20:23 »

DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 1.50V should be fine. Let us know how it goes!

MSIMatt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #94 on: 15-October-14, 14:23:40 »

Thanks, I set those values last night and have yet to encounter a problem. I am going to slowly rack up the OC on CPU until I start to have issues, and then back it off to a functioning level.

DblCrsOvr

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #95 on: 18-October-14, 02:04:07 »

I'm getting hit by this and am hoping that you all can help.

The issue:
When my brand new computer is under heavy load (either through stress testing on prime95 or when gaming) my machine will lock up, then turn off.  After turning off, it tries to reboot, but the case and CPU fans spin for a sec and stop again.  This cycles for a while.  If I turn the entire system off, and wait a bit, I'm able to reboot with no issues.  Initially, I thought it was a overheating issue, so I replaced the CPU cooler (with a CoolerMaster Hyper T4), but the system still fails.  I'm able to induce the rebooting via prime95 after just a few minutes of stress testing.  Oddly enough, the system has turned off the last couple times only immediately after stopping a 3 minute stress test, not during.  The CPU temp never gets much above 60C when the system locks up and turns off.

I tried enabling XMP in the bios and backing off the speed of the RAM to 1333, but with no success.  Each stress test still breaks things.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? Is something defective? Is it just a settings issue? This is my 4th custom built machine, but the first that I've ever had any trouble with.

Here's my setup:
[Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor]
[Cooler Master RR-T4-18PK-R1 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler]
[MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]
[G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory]
[Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
[Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card]
[Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case]
[SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply]

Thanks!

G.Skill Support

• Company Representative
  • G.Skill Support
« Reply #96 on: 20-October-14, 11:24:44 »

DblCrsOver,

Try to manually input the DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage to see how that works. You can even test one module at a time to see if the issue occurs with a single module. This will give an idea of whether it may be an issue with the RAM modules or settings.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Let us know how it goes. Feel free to email me directly as well. Send me screen shots of BIOS and I can make sure everything is correct.

ustech@gskillusa.com

Best Regards

DblCrsOvr

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #97 on: 20-October-14, 15:50:06 »

I tried manually setting the DRAM settings, but no luck. I did update to the latest bios, as well.

Ultimately, I think I figured out the issue.

After re-installing Windows 7, I was still seeing intermittent failures.  I ran a memtest against the RAM, which found errors.  According to memtest, approx 50 MB of one of the 4GB sticks was failing (with a 136 error confidence level). Apparently, it was just a matter of time until a vital process was assigned memory in that bad sector.

I pulled the failing stick, so now I'm down to 4GB on the other stick.  With that complete, the system is able to boot successfully every time, and run prime95 without failing. My CPU temp is even cooler, maxing out at 48C. 

Also, I've noticed that if the "bad" stick is installed, the system is unlikely to boot immediately.  With the "bad" stick installed, the case and CPU fans spin up for a second, then stop. Spin up, then stop.  On the third attempt, the fans will spin up, stay spinning, and ultimately boot (though it will typically die once the system is under any type of load). Not sure if the 3-boot cycle is some way that the MB is telling me something is wrong or what.

Anyway, I'm 5 days outside of the RMA window for newegg, so I guess I will need to take it up with GSkill directly.  Anyone have any luck with that?  Until then, I'll continue to monitor performance and will reply if I'm still getting hit by this.

Thanks for the previous posts, as reading through all of the entries helped me in walking through where I could be having trouble.

kmleong

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #98 on: 21-October-14, 02:29:17 »

Can you Please suggest the highest RAM Speed & Latency should I use with MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard c/w I7 4970K Processor?

I read it say it 1600 or even up 1866Mhz. Can it go higher than that if I buy higher Quality Memory?
I Haven't brought any memory yet after reading this thread....

P.S. I don't even see that this motherboard even support i4790K in the CPU Support section
Do MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Support I7 4790K?

hartrule

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #99 on: 21-October-14, 08:19:11 »

Hi Guys

I have just upgraded and got new parts including G.Skill ram
I went for the these [RipjawsX] F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Timings: 11-11-11-30-2N, 2133mhz.
On a MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard, processer i5 4960k.
The few reasons was that it was low profile to fit and it was red (I know that might be a stupid reason but it looks good with the board.)
Everything is ok with my system for one tiny thing which is I can't restart my machine, when f10 from bios or restart from windows the drives turns off and the fans are still, untill you hold the power button down.
Which is kind of annoying but I just shut down instead.
My questions is, could the ram be causing this? And after reading your comments should i change the timings to the 9-9-9-28 and speed to 1600mhz like everyone else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up