Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overclocking Intel Penitum-K G3258 to 4.4Ghz Easily with MSI H81M-E35 V2 Mobo  (Read 28986 times)

gzhilTopic starter

• Hardware Reviewer
  • SECOND LIEUTENANT

Usually the first thing that comes in our minds if you say “Oveclocking” is high-end computer stuff but today will be a different case, as you can actually do this with a MSI H81M series motherboard and an Intel Pentium K Anniversary Edition processor named “G3258”.

So before we move on, what does “Overclocking” means? According to Wikipedia, it is the process of making a computer or components operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. Operating voltages may also be increased, which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational.

Aside from overclocking the processor, same can be done for the graphics card, memory and also for the integrated graphics processor chip. It will just boil down on how the parameters in the BIOS will be configured.

Let’s now go to the motherboard. Specifically, I will be using MSI’s H81M-E35 V2 motherboard and local price is said to be around 2900Php only. It targets the entry level segment but it is enough to attend user’s needs as can be seen in the specifications below:

CPU Support: 4th Gen Intel Core / Pentium / Celeron Processors
CPU Socket: LGA1150
Chipset: Intel H81 Express Chipset
Graphics Interface: 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot
Display Interface: HDMI, DVI, D-Sub (Requires Processor Graphics)
Memory Support: 2 DIMMS, Dual Channel DDR3-1600
Expansion Slots: 2x PCI-E x1 slots + 1x PCI slot
SATA: 2x SATA 6GB/s + 2x SATA 3GB/s
USB Port: 6x USB 3.0 + 6x USB 2.0
LAN: 10/100/1000MBPS Realtek LAN
Audio: 8-Channel (7.1) HD Audio

Being an entry level motherboard, MSI embedded it with a feature called “Military Class Essentials” which protects the board against humidity, high temperature, electrostatic damage and electromagnetic interference. MSI also added Military Class IV components such as solid capacitors and dark choke for power stability, power efficiency and longer lifespan for the board.  This is why I decided to use this motherboard in tandem with Intel’s Pentium K Anniversary edition processor.

For the rear input/output ports, you have the following:
PS2 Ports for the keyboard and mice
4x USB 3.0 Ports
HDMI, VGA and DVI-I Ports
LAN
2x USB 2.0 Ports
3x Analog Audio Ports

Bundled accessories:
User Manual and Quick Guide
2x 6GB/s SATA cables
Driver and Utility Disc
I/O Back Plate

As the Pentium series processors has reached its 20th Anniversary, Intel decided to release an unlocked multiplier dual core processor named G3258 or some other says it Pentium-K.  It’s a great processor to play with especially in overclocking as it can reach 4.4Ghz easily just by using the bundled stock cooler. That’s not all, the processor is very cheap and you can get them on stores at a price of 3200-3300php. Not bad right?

Some specifics below about the processor:
Codename: Haswell Refresh
Process: 22nm
CPU Cores: 2
CPU Base/Turbo Clock: 3.2 Ghz
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory Support: DDR3-1333
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Graphics Base Frequency: 350 Mhz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: 1.1 GHz
Graphics Video Max Memory: 1.7GB
TDP: 53W

Checking the specs above, no Hyper-Threading and no Turbo clock speed but the total draw power is amazingly at 53W only. The said processor is compatible with Z97, Z87, B85, H87 and H81 chipset motherboards. Some of them, you just have to update to the latest BIOS to make it fully compatible with the Pentium G3258.

With all the information above let’s now go to the fun part – overclocking the system. First of all I updated the H81M-E35 V2 to the latest BIOS v22.3 using the M-Flash feature and selecting the option “Update BIOS and ME”. The BIOS can be downloaded from MSI’s official website and just save it in a USB flash drive.

Once you have upgraded to the latest version and successfully entered the Click BIOS menu screen. You just have to change some parameters in the OC menu tab. I also provided BIOS screenshots below for reference.

•Set the CPU Ratio Mode to Fixed Mode.
•Adjusting the Ring Ratio will increase the Uncore Frequency which also helps to make your system respond faster
•GT Ratio is the integrated graphics chip frequency. From 1100 Mhz, I increased it to 1200 Mhz
•DRAM Frequency is set to run at max 1400Mhz and you can change the timings under the Advanced DRAM Configuration. I set my timings to run at CL6 7-6-24-74.

NOTE: Tweaking the Ring Ratio and DRAM Timings values will somehow help your system to become more responsive and faster especially in Photo rendering or Video transcoding.

•VCCIN Voltage I just leave it to Auto. Increasing this voltage somehow helps in stabilizing your system upon overclocking the processor speed
•Set the CPU Core Voltage mode to Override Mode
•I played around with 1.2 voltage for the CPU Core and managed to get a stable 4.4Ghz speed. Increasing this to 1.25v might get you to a speed of 4.6Ghz but check carefully your temps as you are only using an Intel stock cooler.
•DRAM is set to 1.55v and this is within the nominal value

• Another important thing is to disable some parameters found in the CPU Features section

•Disable the Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor and this might throttle the overclocked CPU frequency speed once you hit a certain Core temperature.
•Disable also the C-State function as it pertains to the built-in power saving feature of the Intel Processor.

•Once all done, you can use the OC Profile feature to save the setting you have made.

•Next is the Hardware Monitor page.  You can set all the fans to run at full speed and check the temps of the components of the board. Very useful for doing Air Overclocking

• Board Explorer is a handy tool which enables the user to see what computer components are installed or not properly seated in the system board. Just mouse over to the highlighted parts and short information will be seen.

For benching the system, I decided to use Futuremark PCMark7 as it test the overall PC Hardware of your system like CPU, Storage and Memory based on real world tasks. This contains a series of tests from web browsing, gaming graphics, to browsing music. Another is CineBench, which uses a test scenario that uses all of your system’s processing power to render a photorealistic 3D scene. This scene makes use of various different algorithms to stress all available cores.

Lastly, I also benched the system with two popular games - Tomb Raider IV and Super Street Fighter 4. All game settings were set to run at Low Settings.

System Configuration:
Processor: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2Ghz overclocked to 4.4Ghz (31.5% increase)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E35 V2
Memory: Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 2133 running at 1400Mhz CL6-7-6-24 74 1.55v
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB
PSU: Xigmatek X-calibre 400W

Benchmark results:
System running at stock speed
PCMark7 - 4484

Cinebench Release 11.5 – 2.74pts

Cinebench R15 – 239CB

Tomb Raider

Super Street Fighter 4

System running at 4.4GHz / Uncore Frequency of 4.1Ghz / Memory at 1400Mhz / IGP at 1200Mhz
PCMark7 - 5164

Cinebench Release 11.5 – 3.75pts

Cinbench R15 – 332CB

Tomb Raider

Super Street Fighter 4

So by looking at the benchmark results between stock and an overclocked system, there is a big increase in performance especially for photo rendering (33%) and as well as for productivity programs (15%). Regarding with PC games, Super Street Fighter 4 is very playable while there is a bit struggle with the Tomb Raider DX11 game.

Final thoughts: If you are building a new system and you are limited in budget. This kind of system is way to go and if you want to play high-end games. Just buy a decent video card and overclocked the G3258 little higher, let’s say 4.7 ~ 4.8 Ghz to compensate with the GPU bottleneck.
Enermax Revolution 1050W watts PSU
MSI XPower
Intel Xeon
G Skill Perfect Storm 3x2GB DDR3 2133MHz
MSI N580GTX Lightning
OCZ Solid 3 60GB SSD 6GB/s
Seagate 500GB 3GB/s
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advance
A4Tech X7 G700 Keyboard
A4Tech X5-70MD
Creative 5.1 Speakers
Hanns-G HG281 28" LCD Monitor

abvolt

• SERGEANT

Very cool I've been thinking of setting up a small budget rig I'll give it a try..
MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16GB | Evo 960 M.2 500GB | Intel 730 480GB | Phantek Enthoo Evolv Glass | 
Seasonic 1000 Platinum | NZXT X62 | 
Pages: [1]   Go Up