Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - TERRIBLE coil-whine!  (Read 12075 times)

TrustdesaTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - TERRIBLE coil-whine!
« on: 29-September-14, 10:05:45 »

Hi All,

I am very disappointed with my brand new MSI 970, well "brand new" I had to return it to Novatech as it was unbearably loud and waiting for feedback from them, I have uploaded a video on Youtube.

I have had a MSI GTX 760 for over a year and I was very excited to buy another MSI product, however I have to say that you have really screwed it up this time.

A quick Google search and you can see that the problem is not isolated (there is also some other users who posted videos on YouTube).

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - TERRIBLE coil-whine!
« Reply #1 on: 29-September-14, 10:34:59 »

Hello,

1) >>Posting Guide<<

2) Coil whine might be also caused by PSU. It all depends on the hardware and software (BIOS).
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 29-September-14, 11:02:05 »

to me that doesn't sound like coil whine! it sounds more like fan motor noise as it was only directly over the fan! over the top of the PCB above the fan no noise directly over the fan you get a fan hum.

so I would suspect a faulty fan there on the cooler not Coil whine as that would be from the PCB!
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (bios 1.17) AM3
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Cooler: corsair H100 cooler
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

TrustdesaTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 29-September-14, 11:17:07 »

Hi Both,

@Nichrome

The PSU is a Seasoning 80+ Gold not a cheap low quality one which work flawlessly with my MSI GTX 760

@badboy2k

I am a MSI fan so I would not say that my card is rubbish if it was not...let's make that clear. It is not a fan noise as I have tried to stop the fan with my finger for a fraction and the coil whine noise is still well present as loud which as you may expect and hopefully agree make the thing pretty clear.

If most GTX 970 from MSI are faulty I am happy to get a GTX 980 as long as it works properly...

Let's try to face problem instead of accusing buyers to be pretentious as this is a very sneaky move :) cards should work out of the box... if we wanted to play with hardware we would buy a Raspberry PI not a graphic card!

Peace!

And please check other videos on youtube!

padyra

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 29-September-14, 12:10:22 »

My GTX 970 also has a lot of coil whine, but honestly, these days it can be hard to find a gpu / mobo that doesn't at some load level / load type or frame rate. If you haven't already, you should be able to return it to your vendor.

TrustdesaTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 29-September-14, 13:50:33 »

Yes I did return it to my vendor here in UK and the card should be with them tomorrow for testing but as I still within the 7 days I just ask for the money back and I will get something else instead.

Shame really as I am a huge MSI fan however here I see that they have saved money on component compare with its direct competitor, just Google MSI GTX 970 COIL WHINE or even check comments under my video on YouTube and you see that it is not an isolate case.

I agree with you, my MSI card (current MSI card GTX 760) has SOMETIME and NOT SO LOUD coil-whine if you really stick your head inside the case, which I really don't do often  X-(( however trust me this card sounded like R2-D2 from Star Wars!  :biggthumbsdown:

I am writing an article right now about this and the fan issue on our website, we review videogame and not hardware but in this case...

Vesanius

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 30-September-14, 23:44:04 »

I'm also having terrible coil whine. Only occurs when the card has high power consumption (90+% TDP) and when the FPS is above 60. The higher the FPS the worse the noise becomes.  And as usual, there won't be noise if there's low FPS with high power consumption or high FPS with low power consumption... I realize that some amount of coil whine may happen, but when I buy a new card to get higher FPS and I get noise that I can hear through headphones then it's too much. I'll RMA it and probably never touch MSI again after reading all the stuff about this cards. And if it matters, I'm using a 1.5 years old Corsair HX750 so the PSU quality is right there.

turbobooster

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 01-October-14, 01:15:36 »

I think that if you read other articles from asus/giga/evga you also find people that have problems, people with problems wright about it.
People that don't have problems don't wright as much about it.
Like many more, i love my msi card, and i have it now for 6 days and don't have any problems at all, no coil, no weird fans, fan control works great, but wy you need that i don't now.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 01-October-14, 01:20:15 »

That's quite true- not many GPUs today dont whine. All of them do at some level. But if it's annoying, RMA it.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

lownoisefan

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 01-October-14, 07:00:29 »

Hello Everybody,

I am writting from Germany, where many owners of new MSI GTX 970 graphic cards are complaining about coil whine etc (actually you can find it all over the world if you check google). Seems that lots of cards get RMAed because of the coil whine (funny enough there is limited reporting on the fan issue though).

According to a post in a German Forum, MSI Support in Germany responded to a request that this is not an issue of the graphic card  :nono:

Folks in that Forum have started to gather S/N of MSI GTX 970 cards which have coil whine to see whether this is a common problem or only a certain batch of cards.

Maybe you want to join in and share your S/N here in case you have that problem too - would be highly appreciated, many thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up