Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI R9 290 Gaming intermittent fan stopping issues (starts with a touch).  (Read 1701 times)

BakerMan1971Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi all

I am currently investigating why my R9 290 twin frozr GPU occasionally only runs one of it's fans.
It is intermittent and is of course noticeable when the temperature hits above 86C. (usually goes to 94C very quickly playing a game).

I have tried some suggestions, feeding each power socket from it's own output from the PSU, which is a single rail Coolermaster V700, so I am not entirely sure how that would help.

This issue is quite recent and I am wondering if it is driver or afterburner related.  When a fan is stopped simply touching the hub causes it to start spinning properly, and the temperatures return to normal, this is not ideal as I have to take the side panel off my case and would rather be confident that the fan is running as it should.

There are various threads around the internet and even on these forums on this topic, however not solution has been offered as of yet, other than the most elite users replacing the card's cooling system, which I am not willing to do, as when working correctly the cooling on this card is absolutely fine.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers
Bakerman

hpipiw

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

The fan bearing might be broken, RMA it?

BakerMan1971Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi hpipiw

I think the fans are actually fine, its definitely looking like a software issue, I didn't see this problem before installing afterburner, and setting a higher min fan speed seems to have cured the issue for now.

I can imagine that a fan thats seizing up might just stop at lower speeds, but I would think it would struggle to start up when touched.

Keeping an eye on it for now, will of course rma if I notice anything bad happening.

Cheers for the comment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up