Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GTX 970 GAMING 4G Crashing PC  (Read 3729 times)

dippydoopTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
GTX 970 GAMING 4G Crashing PC
« on: 01-November-14, 07:54:48 »

Hi, I've been experiencing seemingly random crashes during gaming ever since I upgraded to this card- after anywhere from half an hour to a few hours, my PC will just switch off and reboot without warning. I've not noticed any artifacting and my temperatures are in the lower 70's under load. Some games do not seem to cause the crashing- running War Thunder at 4k DSR for several hours was fine, but when I try the same with Skyrim, for example, I get the rebooting issue. This is on a fresh install of Windows. I'm currently on driver version 344.48, which has not changed anything with respect to the crashing.

This card is affected by the fan problems (one stuck at 100%, the other not spinning at all), however, I use MSI Afterburner to keep the fans spinning all the time, 25% at idle, gradually climbing as the temperatures rise. It seems to keep both fans working. I have also tried putting the power to 110%, but to no avail.

My previous card was a GTX 570, which ran without issue and since that card draws significantly more power than my new one, I doubt my PSU is to blame. I've run a MemtestG80 for 2048MB with 100 test iterations and came up with over 600k errors. I've done the same with the card downclocked by 500MHz on both the core and the memory and obtained just over 1 million errors.

I was hoping anyone could perhaps help ensure that the card is the problem here. My main worry is that if I send it back for an RMA, my retailer will not find the issue and send the card back to me, due to the inconsistent nature of the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, suggestions on benchmark programs/games to do extra tests would be welcome. I suspect the issue lies in the memory, so preferably programs that are memory hungry/intensive would be better.

My system specs are as follows:
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU: Core I7 I920 @ ~3.7GHz
Mem: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz @ ~1400MHz
Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (boot) / 80GB Intel X-25M G2 / 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
PSU: 850W Thermaltake Toughpower
GPU: MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
Sound: Asus Xonar Essence ST

Thanks for your time!

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: GTX 970 GAMING 4G Crashing PC
« Reply #1 on: 01-November-14, 12:06:53 »

Is your motherboard running latest BIOS?
Also are you able to test some newer piece of PSU? As this seems to be pretty old, just like the whole system is (5 years?).
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

dippydoopTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 01-November-14, 13:06:35 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my motherboard is running the latest BIOS (released in 2010).

Unfortunately, I do not have another PSU I can test with. The best I can do is put my older, more power hungry card back in and try running everything at full load. If I run prime95 alongside Furmark, that should put the PSU under as much stress as I can. If that is stable with my GTX 570, would you say that's evidence enough that my PSU is ok? I'm open to any other benchmarking programs you suggest, of course. I'll put my old card in tomorrow.

A bit of an update regarding Skyrim: I've left my character standing in the middle of Whiterun (fairly busy place) for a couple of hours- no problem. Moving around, however does eventually cause it to restart my PC, I actually managed to get it to crash within 10 minutes of starting the game this way. To me, this suggests that the card can cope fine with high load, but has problems when changing what's in the memory. Just to confirm, I'm using a vanilla Skyrim installation, with no mods. Only the DLC and official texture packs are being used.
As for the artifacting: I have noticed in Skyrim that very distant textures on the mountain tops are flashing, though only if the "camera" is panning or rotating. I've also noticed similar with War Thunder. It seems to be some kind of interaction with shadows, though I'm not really sure. I actually thought this was a side-effect of running DSR, or again, immature drivers, so it never really twigged before. Still, I'm not getting anything really stark like green/purple lines/textures. It could just be that I'm looking for problems, though.

Yeah, the core system is roughly 5 years old, I haven't really seen any need to upgrade, though Haswell-E is starting to tempt me. I've kept it fairly clean, and there's barely any dust in there (and in the PSU).

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 01-November-14, 13:54:40 »

To me its either too old PSU (wattage doesnt quite matter but Amps) or some compatibility issues.
You could ask a friend if you can test your GPU in their PC as long as its something newer than your setup.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

matt3o

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 03-November-14, 04:00:56 »

I know this might not be your problem, but I had a lot of BSOD and random reboots until I removed all MSI softwares/utilies (afterburner, update, gaming app, ...).

dippydoopTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 04-November-14, 13:32:04 »

Hi, hopefully my last update for this issue:

The problem was solved by disabling Hardware Prefetch in the BIOS under CPU Settings. I've really tried to make the crash/reboot happen again, but nothing so far.

I did manage to try it out in a friend's Haswell based system for a short time, and found no issue there, so the graphics card is not at fault.

Thanks guys, for taking the time to try and help me out :)

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 04-November-14, 14:26:16 »

Strange solution but I didn't think about anything under BIOS.

Glad you got it sorted  :pompom:

antuus

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 24-November-14, 10:19:32 »

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

You are correct in saying that if your much more power hungry card is fine, this one should be too.  It's borderline irresponsible to say otherwise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up