Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single Channel or Virtual Single-Channel message on boot.  (Read 1775 times)

Gigabyte

Hi there,

I get this message on boot. I would appreciate if somebody could tell me what are the exact memory requirements in order to enable dual channel mode. I have an 865P Neo. Do the memory sticks have to be the same size, frequency, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Gig

NovJoe

• Hawk
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 15-June-03, 05:27:49 »

Hi Gigabyte,

It is always recommended you get the same model, speed and capacity of the RAMs to run dual channel as the mobo will still detect both RAMs but only reconigsed them running in Dual Channel and therefore, it will double the RAM speed and halves the capacity. Getting the same type of RAMs will let mobo better detection and calculation of RAMs speed and capacity.

Hope this info helps you...

All the Best... :D!!!
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 15-June-03, 06:31:13 »

Uhmm.. what if you have the same type of ram on both channels? I'm using OCZ Enhanced Latency Dual-Channel Series 2x512MB PC3500 DDR 433MHz RAM on Dimms 3 and 4. Still showing as Single or Virtual Channel.

Running v1.2 of Bios as I'm scared crapless that if I flash the board I'll get no better than a door stopper then wait days or weeks for a new board (need the system running for my small biz).

MSI: Hope that v1.5 of the BIOS is coming along. I'm still thinking about exchanging for an Abit IS-7 as its kicking some serious butt in the benches.. (300Mhz FSB overclocking! Wooow!)

kwok_liangc

• Cyclone
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 15-June-03, 12:38:29 »

Originally posted by NovJoe
Hi Gigabyte,

It is always recommended you get the same model, speed and capacity of the RAMs to run dual channel as the mobo will still detect both RAMs but only reconigsed them running in Dual Channel and therefore, it will double the RAM speed and halves the capacity. Getting the same type of RAMs will let mobo better detection and calculation of RAMs speed and capacity.

That means, if I have 2 x PC 2700 512 MB ram , I would get twice the speed ( 333 x 2 = 666) but only 512 MB ? Then why is every apllication state that I have 1 GB of ram? ?(
Pentium4 2.6C @ 3029 MHz 932MHz FSB
MSI 865PE neo2-s ( bios 1.9)
MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4800se (275/550)
2x Corsair 256MB PC3700 Platinum (466MHz 3-4-4-8 mat ultra-turbo)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Sata 120GB
Creative Soundblaster live! 5.1 SE
Liteon CDRW 52-32-52
Antec Truepower 430W
Samsung 152T

Assaf

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • HydroGen
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 15-June-03, 13:59:33 »

You put them both in the same channel, use DIMM 1&3.

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 15-June-03, 15:50:17 »

Interesting.. I tried all combinations but the only one that works is when they are on Dimm3 and 4. If I try any other combo the system will not POST. Remember.. I'm using OCZ Enhanced Latency Dual-Channel Series 2x512MB PC3500 DDR 433MHz RAM. Still showing as Single or Virtual Channel and using Bios v1.2.

Anyone know what gives? Why does Dimm3 & 4 only work and the rest in combination do not? I want the Dual-Channel Feature (thats what I paid for)!

Thanx all!

Petej61

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 15-June-03, 16:10:46 »

Maybe you have a duff stick ...try each stick on its own and see what happens

Another thing to try if they are both ok is to up your DDR voltage ...do you know what the voltage spec of your memory is?

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 15-June-03, 19:15:22 »

Well.. here is the thing.. If I try to put one 512mb in Dimm1 and any other 512mb in any of the other 3 remaining slots the system will start up then immediately power down. Then after 2sec power up then power down.. Sound familiar? I can stick one of the 512mbs between Dimm2-4 and the system will boot fine but not Dimm1. Wierd..

It is rated at Dual-Channel but no voltage is mentioned for it. Off OCZ's web site there is no mention of this. I will send a quick note if their is something in regards to these MSI Neo-FIS2R board.

Btw.. is it appropriate for the Bios to clear itself when I kill the power on my PowerSupply then move the ram around then turn the system back on? Seems odd the Bios likes to clear itself (not entirely always except on the first occasion).

If its the ram then I can easily replace that but Mobos are a byatch to exchange. Remember.. I'm running v1.2 of Bios. Any Bios settings I might be missing?

Thanks for your help!

E.

Assaf

• HydroGen
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 15-June-03, 22:36:55 »

check the socket to see if there are any bent pins.

DIMM 2&4 should also give dual channel, try that.

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 16-June-03, 05:23:21 »

Well I already tried Dimm2 and 4 but the system fails to boot. I'll look at Dimm1 to see if its damaged but right now there is no reason for this. Gawd this 875P board is just so "broken". Starting to make me wanna jump to another competitor with all this BS happening. Hope BIOS v1.5 is the salvation..

Petej61

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 16-June-03, 11:08:58 »

It always seems to be the 1 and 2 slots that give you the problem (same channel)

Have you checked for motherboard mounting posts -causing short circuits ? (there may be a post in the wrong position that shorts out pcb tracks). Make sure all posts line up with mounting holes in the motherboard -remove or reposition any that dont (they will unscrew or bend out of brackets in the case)

king_elves

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 16-June-03, 12:30:06 »

You should first find out where the problem is.

Trying the memory on another system and see if it works properly, or testing some different brand of memory on your MB, then act accordingly.

Good luck.

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 16-June-03, 14:20:18 »

Thanks everyone for their help! Wow! Talk about a "global community" coming together! Thankfully the system is running stable (Bios v1.2) with this Single/Virtual Channel fiasco still running but I haven't yet seen anyone running Bios v1.2 with OCZ PC3500 Ram running in Dual-Channel - seems to be working with v1.3+.. For now I might just wait til Bios v1.5, let it be tested by others, then decide how to proceed. I can "tolerate" my 2900 SiSandra Memory Benches even though I should be getting more like 5000. I'm still wayyyyyyyyy faster than all of my friends combined!  :D

Zandman

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 16-June-03, 15:05:16 »

Originally posted by Thudo
Thanks everyone for their help! Wow! Talk about a \"global community\" coming together! Thankfully the system is running stable (Bios v1.2) with this Single/Virtual Channel fiasco still running but I haven\'t yet seen anyone running Bios v1.2 with OCZ PC3500 Ram running in Dual-Channel - seems to be working with v1.3+.. For now I might just wait til Bios v1.5, let it be tested by others, then decide how to proceed. I can \"tolerate\" my 2900 SiSandra Memory Benches even though I should be getting more like 5000. I\'m still wayyyyyyyyy faster than all of my friends combined!  :D

Didn't even know about single and dual mode for today..  :sleep:
So I'going to try it out tonight with my two identical PC3200 Dane Elec's and bios version 1.2.

I'll keep you 'posted'  :D

Regards

Zandman

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 16-June-03, 20:30:34 »

Originally posted by Thudo
Thanks everyone for their help! Wow! Talk about a \"global community\" coming together! Thankfully the system is running stable (Bios v1.2) with this Single/Virtual Channel fiasco still running but I haven\'t yet seen anyone running Bios v1.2 with OCZ PC3500 Ram running in Dual-Channel - seems to be working with v1.3+.. For now I might just wait til Bios v1.5, let it be tested by others, then decide how to proceed. I can \"tolerate\" my 2900 SiSandra Memory Benches even though I should be getting more like 5000. I\'m still wayyyyyyyyy faster than all of my friends combined!  :D

OMG, it really.. really worked out great for me!
I had and still have a non overclocked system, I haven't even changed the cas-settings.
My two sticks of dane elec in slot 1 and 2 allready gave me 5841 points in SiSoft Sandra.

When I moved the module which was in slot 2, to slot 3, after the reboot I got the dual channel message and a got a score of 8655!!
(another go in 3dmark2003 didn't do much, it went from 5473 to 5512)

neofis2r875P
p4 2,8
2*pc3200 dane elec
true power 430
bios ver 1.2

Regards

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 16-June-03, 21:27:26 »

Originally posted by Zandman

[QUOTE} OMG, it really.. really worked out great for me!
I had and still have a non overclocked system, I haven\'t even changed the cas-settings.
My two sticks of dane elec in slot 1 and 2 allready gave me 5841 points in SiSoft Sandra.

When I moved the module which was in slot 2, to slot 3, after the reboot I got the dual channel message and a got a score of 8655!!
(another go in 3dmark2003 didn\'t do much, it went from 5473 to 5512)

neofis2r875P
p4 2,8
2*pc3200 dane elec
true power 430
bios ver 1.2

Regards

Argghh.. I don't need to hear this!! I'm still trying to figure out why my OCZ PC3500 Dual-Channel doesn't work in Dual-Channel. Populating Dimm1 causes the system to turn on/off almost right away.. Other combos except Dimm3+4 just don't even boot whatsoever. And I thought it was v1.2 bios-related..  X(

Assaf

• HydroGen
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 17-June-03, 22:42:04 »

Are both DIMM 1 and 2 dead ?

If they are then it sounds like a busted board or you might have left an extra standoff under the board where it shouldn't be and that's shorting out the board.

Thudo

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 18-June-03, 15:32:02 »

When using single DDR ram, Dimm2, 3, and 4 work fine but Dimm1 seems not too. Placing ram on both Dimm3 and 4 work fine just not Dual-Channel. I would have thought Dimm2+Dimm4 would have worked putting itself into Dual-Channel but it does not POST. Now that v1.5 Bios is out I might do the unthinkable and update. v1.2 is notorious for memory issues so when I get more response about v1.5 then I'll take the plunge (with many fingers and toes crosses!).  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up