Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCI IDE BusMaster  (Read 1697 times)

evil ryu

PCI IDE BusMaster
« on: 08-July-03, 02:22:50 »

In the MSI 875P Neo there is an option in the bios called "PCI IDE BusMaster". What does this option mean?  ?(
Have I to enable or disable it?

Thanks.

Assaf

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • HydroGen
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 08-July-03, 02:31:58 »

Allows a PCI device to preform as PCI BUS master

Now, what that means I don't really know, but it's supposed to offload the CPU during i/o operations as far as I know.

Should be enabled.

evil ryu

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 08-July-03, 10:58:42 »

Any other opinion or explanation?

Domino254

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 08-July-03, 13:32:31 »

PCI Bus Mastering allows a (PCI) device to send data whenever the bus is not used, when Bus Mastering is not enabled the CPU has to control all datatransfers by IRQ polling.

Try a search on http://www.google.com or groups.google.com, you'd be suprised on how easy it is to find info.

To get you started :

Found with google
Found  with groups.google

For the second link, it's a usenet archive so the hardware discussed here can be outdated.

busterz

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 08-July-03, 14:40:53 »

Hi ppl,,
     Ill tell you what enabling the pci busmaster did for me. When I got this 875p motherboard I noticed that when I back up my partition using driveimage 2002 the transfer rate had dropped from 300mb per min to 112mb per min, hmm ..

But after looking through the bios I thought why not enable the pci busmastering as I couldnt remember if it was enabled in my other machine by default, however after enabling it the mb per min went up to 814mb per min  :D

So I think ill leave it there lol

Col

evil ryu

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 08-July-03, 15:56:14 »

Thanks to everyone :))
Pages: [1]   Go Up