Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Performance Problems (Hitching) with Source Engine games ( CSGO, DOTA 2)  (Read 6590 times)

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hey All,

I have a GT70 2PC Dominator.

When I play CSGO I have a problem where the game will randomly hitch/hang for up to 5 seconds. Whatever audio is playing will just continue to loop until the everything goes back to normal. My FPS tends to hover around 120 FPS and dips pretty low. This happens in DOTA 2 as well but to a much much lesser extent.

I play CSGO on my desktop as well so I am very familiar with the configuration files etc. My FPS_MAX is set to 300 so it' s not capped I have no idea what's going on. I've tried lowering graphic settings etc. While I'm very familiar with CSGO this is my first gaming laptop.

I did run windows update and the nvidia update through the geforce experience so all of my drivers should be up to date as well.

I've tried setting the battery to "High Performance" to see if that would change anything. I made sure I was plugged into a laptop as well. But I'm not sure if there are any specific MSI settings or something else to turn on.

I play other graphically intensive games on higher settings probably the most notable is the MMORPG ArchAge. While I may experience slow downs I never have the game just hitch or hang like it does in CSGO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks All!

Syrellaris

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

That is a very strange and rather odd issue, I take it your laptop drivers are all up to date?(Sound, network, Video etc)

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Quote from: Syrellaris;112291
That is a very strange and rather odd issue, I take it your laptop drivers are all up to date?(Sound, network, Video etc)
i ran windows update and I ran the nvidia update to make sure my drivers were up to date for my video card as well. So everything is up to date unless I am missing something.

Syrellaris

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Does your laptop come with a HDD or a HDD and SSD combo?

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Quote from: Syrellaris;112305
Does your laptop come with a HDD or a HDD and SSD combo?

HDD SDD Combo

I have just the OS and programs on the SDD and all of my games are on the HDD

Syrellaris

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Try installing the game on the SSD and see if the issue persist.

zipper

• MAJOR

Running HWMonitor on the background might keep the HDD spinning all the time and prevent glitches caused by HDD spindown/up.

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Quote from: zipper;112329
Running HWMonitor on the background might keep the HDD spinning all the time and prevent glitches caused by HDD spindown/up.

Won't that thrash my Hard Drive?

I just checked as well and the HDD is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes. This problem is happening more than every 20 minutes. Just to be safe I changed the sleep option on my HDD to be never when plugged in.

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Quote from: Syrellaris;112322
Try installing the game on the SSD and see if the issue persist.

Even if that worked I would not want that to be the solution. SSDs have a shorter lifespan than HDD and I'd rather not put a lot of stuff on it considering the replacement cost.

I'm pretty sure MSI feels the same way as they've labeled it "OS_Install"

Syrellaris

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Quote from: brackstone;112334
Even if that worked I would not want that to be the solution. SSDs have a shorter lifespan than HDD and I'd rather not put a lot of stuff on it considering the replacement cost.

MSI just named it that for easier reference. SSD's under normal usage have nearly identical lifespans as old HDD's these days. In fact programs like Windows, Photoshop and other heavy load(long load) programs benefit greatly from SSD's. This also counts for certain games.

Regardless having games installed is not going to lower your SSD's lifespan as they do not constantly write or erase huge file sizes.

Msata SSD's are also very inexpensive. A small 128 GB for example is only 70 bucks, a 256 GB is only 120 and a 512 Gb is somewhere in the 170 range(depends on the brand). 1 TB SSD's dont even go past 275 dollars. You can get really good deals if you just search a little.

Your laptop btw has 2 open Msata Slots.

zipper

• MAJOR

On the rate of last year's use  my SSD life span is predicted as about 300 years - I think it's enough...

hchg

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

Quote from: brackstone;112334

What's the brand/model of your HDD?

1. Try to remove HDD high usage related activities by following FAQs.
    I) http://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10011432@...0000000646.zip
    II) http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-740.html

2. Install The Crystal Disk Info utility and the HDD supports the APM feature, then change its setting.
    I)  Set the APM Control to the highest, in order to prevent the drive enters stand by mode after certain time.
       *Make sure you set the function everytime you restart the system.
       a. Download and install the crystal disk info utility.
       b. Open CrystalDiskInfo.
       c. Choose Function > Advanced Feature > APM Control.
       d. Choose your hard drive.
       e. Set APM function to FEh Maximum performance.
    II) Set the power plan to the maximum. (Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Power Options>(Hide additional plans) High performance.

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Thank you for this I will give these a try.

The bandwidth in my area is not very good, so I'd rather not try to relocate CSGO to another drive. If I mess it up I won't be able to play.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Quote from: hch;112418
What's the brand/model of your HDD?

1. Try to remove HDD high usage related activities by following FAQs.
    I) http://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10011432@...0000000646.zip
    II) http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-740.html

2. Install The Crystal Disk Info utility and the HDD supports the APM feature, then change its setting.
    I)  Set the APM Control to the highest, in order to prevent the drive enters stand by mode after certain time.
       *Make sure you set the function everytime you restart the system.
       a. Download and install the crystal disk info utility.
       b. Open CrystalDiskInfo.
       c. Choose Function > Advanced Feature > APM Control.
       d. Choose your hard drive.
       e. Set APM function to FEh Maximum performance.
    II) Set the power plan to the maximum. (Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Power Options>(Hide additional plans) High performance.

Syrellaris

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

CSGO is installed inside of Steam is it not? You can use steam to create a backup of the game files so you can use that "image" to install the game anywhere, even on different computers without having to redownload it. Which is great for area's with limited bandwidth.

hchg

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

@brackstone  Have you tried two solutions? Do they help with the problem??

brackstoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Quote from: hch;112794
@brackstone  Have you tried two solutions? Do they help with the problem??

Sorry I have not had a chance to reply until now.

I can confirm that getting KeepAwake HD seems to have resolved the issue for me. I played games until the end of my vacation (around Friday) since the suggestions and did not have any hitching or stuttering issues again.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

hchg

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

Great to know, thanks for the update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up