Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone explain me how GPU clock throttling works?  (Read 808 times)

rock1m1Topic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT

I just got MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition, great card and overclocked it a bit. My only issue is I just can't figure out how the GPU and memory clock throttling works.

I was playing a game and then after I was done, the clock dropped as expected. Then I watched youtube videos and after I was done, I noticed the clock for both core and memory was considerably high, not maximum but still high. I checked the GPU usage and there was virtually zero usage.

I then went to Shadowplay and turned it off (it was not set to desktop recording), and I immediately saw the clock drop considerably like before. I turned it back on and it went up a bit but quickly went down. After that, the clock throttling seems to be working as I expect it to be.

Still can't figure out what might have caused the high clock when gpu had no usage. Anyone?

Thanks

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
Re: Can someone explain me how GPU clock throttling works?
« Reply #1 on: 06-December-14, 04:03:27 »

Hi,

I think that when you wanted to watch something on YouTube, your browser (or Flash Player) has Hardware acceleration enabled in order to make things smoother (like YT video). Same happens to me and there's no need to worry about it. Temps doesn't rise though?
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32

rock1m1Topic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
Re: Can someone explain me how GPU clock throttling works?
« Reply #2 on: 06-December-14, 06:56:12 »

Ok, i was able to replicate this. It only happens after I am done playing with just one particular game, albeit quite an old game, Unreal Tournament 2004 from GoG. Once I am done playing, I quite and the GPU clock and memory does not drop until I launch another 3D program that affects it (say dragon age inquisition), after I am done playing with it the clocks drop very low as expected.

So, something to do with UT 2004. My guess it has something to do with the shadowplay feature when playing the game. As I go to the temporary folder of Shadowplay videos, there remains some files which and upon deleting it, it says it is still busy with Nvidia shadowplay server. Since shadowplay would show such results with high clock with no usage (the temperature is about 10 degrees C higher than idle), it may keep on recording even until uf the game if finished playing.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up