Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z68A-GD65 (G3) - can't overclock after BIOS update  (Read 3336 times)

MythTopic starter

• CORPORAL
Z68A-GD65 (G3) - can't overclock after BIOS update
« on: 28-January-15, 23:02:34 »

I have a system with an MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 motherboard and a Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge processor.

For a few years I have run this system with the v23.7 BIOS and the CPU at 4.4 GHz, and everything has worked perfectly. However, today I was forced to update to v25.8 BIOS because my new GTX 960 would not work otherwise.

My problem is this: no matter what I change the CPU ratio to in BIOS (for example: 44), once I'm in Windows, it's at the stock ratio of 34, and apps such as RealTemp show the CPU at 3.4 GHz. If I reboot and check BIOS again, the setting is correct (44). So it is SAVING the setting. But it's not applying it.

If I change the CPU voltage, that change is applied correctly. It's only the ratio that's not applied. I had this same problem a few years ago when I tried BIOS v25.6. At that time, I reverted to v23.7 and everything worked fine again.

Also, I did make sure to reinstall the Intel Management Engine drivers from the link under the BIOS download.

I realize the newer BIOS revisions are meant for Ivy Bridge processors and I'm running a Sandy Bridge processor. But I need this newer BIOS for my GTX 960 to work.

JLio01

• MAJOR
Re: Z68A-GD65 (G3) - can't overclock after BIOS update
« Reply #1 on: 28-January-15, 23:54:12 »

What does ME version show under BIOS currently? When you check the ratio under OS, do you put your system under loading? And did you re-install driver from website after updating BIOS?
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z68AGD65_G3.html#support_download

TZBC

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #2 on: 29-January-15, 00:17:52 »

Go to OC section and change to advanced mode, change your CPU Ratio Mode from Dynamic to Fixed mode.
And go to windows checking the ratio have changed or not.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot this motherboard doesn't have this settings, try Disabled or Enable "Adjust CPU Ratio in OS"

MythTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 29-January-15, 01:11:55 »

What does ME version show under BIOS currently? When you check the ratio under OS, do you put your system under loading? And did you re-install driver from website after updating BIOS?
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z68AGD65_G3.html#support_download

ME version 8.1.2.1318. Even if I put the system at 100% load in Windows, the processor never moves past 3.4 GHz. I've checked this in multiple programs (CPUZ, RealTemp, TMonitor, etc.) And yes, I reinstalled the drivers that were listed under the BIOS update.

Go to OC section and change to advanced mode, change your CPU Ratio Mode from Dynamic to Fixed mode.
And go to windows checking the ratio have changed or not.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot this motherboard doesn't have this settings, try Disabled or Enable "Adjust CPU Ratio in OS"

I've tried changing that setting (Adjust CPU Ratio in OS) but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

However, I just noticed that I didn't have the newest version of CPUZ. I updated it and now it shows more detailed information for the multiplier: x34 (16-44)

So it is detecting that I have set it to 44 in Windows after all. But it seems to be indicating that it's using a dynamic CPU ratio of 16-44 - which I don't want, I want it fixed at 44 - but as you say, there's no option for dynamic/fixed on my motherboard. However, on the old v23.7 BIOS, if I set it to 44 it stayed at 44 always.

Even if it's using a dynamic ratio for some reason, it's not doing that right either because it's still never moving past 3.4 GHz (nor is it ever dropping below 3.4 GHz).

TZBC

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 29-January-15, 02:34:55 »

If you could OC i7-2600k with bios v23.7, but with the same settings you are unable to do it with new bios v25.6, maybe it's a bug or compatibility problem, better contact msi for this issue.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 29-January-15, 04:02:49 »

Yes this is a known issue for those specified old boards,[with no solution]
that Sandy Bridge CPU's can't OC to the same level with newest ME8 for Ivy Bridge based BIOSes like with older ME7 based BIOSes

MythTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #6 on: 09-February-15, 17:25:02 »

Yes this is a known issue for those specified old boards,[with no solution]
that Sandy Bridge CPU's can't OC to the same level with newest ME8 for Ivy Bridge based BIOSes like with older ME7 based BIOSes

Well, I seem to have found a way around it. I am using the new Enhanced Turbo option, which was not an option in my old ME7 BIOS, and set all the cores to 44. Doing it this way does in fact retain the overclock in Windows, and in practice seems to work just as well as the old overclock.

snydeemail

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 06-November-18, 18:22:55 »

Hi Myth.
I just found this thread about same problem.
Can you please explain how you adjusted the 4 cores to x44 please?
Please? :)
Regards!

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI
« Reply #8 on: 07-November-18, 14:38:57 »

This thread is almost four years old. Please don't resurrect old topics but open your own. Thanks.

:floblock:
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK (MS-7A90) Bios 1.A0
Core i7 7820X @ 4404.45 MHz (44 * 100.1 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.158v - delidded and using der8auer Skylake-X Direct Die Frame
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMR32GX4M4Z3200C16 @ 1602.9 MHz (DDR4-3206), 16-18-18-36-2t, 1.35v
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE 11G OC
1TB Crucial MX500 M.2 SSD + 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case
Pages: [1]   Go Up