Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: (Updated:2016/05/06)"Silent Option" Fan Control Application for MSI Laptops  (Read 237692 times)

RW3

• MAJOR
  • Go hawks

Have you tried 4.6.1  not 4.5.1  ?

luziyang

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

[Problem here]

I got a GE62 6QD with i7-6700HQ. 

The basic mode was not really work...No matter how I adjust, the minimum fan speed is ~3000RPM as the capture I attached. 

Same as the advanced mode. I can shut down the fan by pulling all down to 0%. But, it seems 1% and 11% and 22% is the same output as ~3000RPM.
I can't always keep it down cuz the temperature will increase rapidly. when the temperature high enough to the valve level, the 3000RPM comes back even I set it for 1% (OMG). It is very annoying.

I only want to control the fan speed to ~1500rpm, it suppose to be with a acceptable sound level and provide some cooling for the CPU.  

Please, fix this BUG. MSI have done a good job to make it support win10 as I can now keep the fans down when I just read a PDF.

divineasparagus2

• SERGEANT

The fans can't go below 3000rpm. I've seen them at 2800rpm with auto settings.

1% or 20% are pretty much 50%. However you can go above 100%!

luziyang

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Yes, the fan speed seems can not go below 3000RPM. 

By using the Silent option, any setting for 1% and 50% will got a 3000PRM. But you can set above 100% to make it higher...

tsourick

• CORPORAL

Finally, it launched! :agrees:  I love you guys! The pain is gone.

The problem was due to installation order. (details here https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=270201

But, it seems like it doesn't lower the fan speed. I set the slider to minimums (left) and RPM stays at around 3000. While the rightmost position makes it higher up to 3750.

kaiboralewski

• PRIVATE E-2

The Skylake version also runs on Haswell, have it tested on my GS70-2QE. Why the surface is also adapted version is not equal in the Official Haswell exactly? I find better at a distance.

jackjt8

• STAFF SERGEANT

So, my GE62 6QC fans for some reason max out at 4848 rpm (avg 4800rpm) for anything over at or above 100% unless I use the Cooler Boost button which pushes them upto ~7000rpm (ie 150%). Which is a shame as at 150% they are simply too loud and in most cases overkill for cooling.

Also, the Skylake versions looks nice, but it is a step backwards honestly. It is time consuming to fine tune the sliders as they jump around a bit too much, so a return of the text entry would be nice. And I would love to see the import/export options return.

edwin.carter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
  • High End GT72S Dominator Pro G owner

AND would be nice to link both CPU and GPU fan speeds together AS AN OPTION so if GPU processes go up its fan not only increases but also CPU's as well - this would provided better overall system venting.
MSI GT72S 6QF Dominator Pro S 29th Anniversary Intel i7 6820HK @ 4.0Ghz, 32GB DDR4-2133 RAM, 2x256GB Raid0 Toshiba NVMe 2.5 inch PCIe SSD, Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 OC'ed 150+ Core / 150+ Mem, 17.3 inch LG IPS HD Display @ 75Hz, Intel 7265AC Wifi, Windows 10 Pro + latest system and video updates BIOS version: .121 EC Firmware version: .106

mateen-kazemi

• PRIVATE E-2

Any plan for a fix for the fan controller? 1-50% advance adjustment is the same as ~3000 RPM

luziyang

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Same problem here, adjust from 1-100% gives ~3000RPM, it was annoying.

But it seems that 0% can shut down the fan...

fran.fmlc

• PRIVATE E-2

Please, solve the ~3000RPM bug on Skylake. I love my GE62 6QD, but I need it to be a little bit less noisy at work. Thank you very much.

edwin.carter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

HTF can people be getting 6000 RPM fan speeds especially since I have a high-end model? :think:  I max out @ ~3900 RPM.  If I got 6K RPMs my laptop would become a drone, lift off, and start hunting other humans. :)
MSI GT72S 6QF Dominator Pro S 29th Anniversary Intel i7 6820HK @ 4.0Ghz, 32GB DDR4-2133 RAM, 2x256GB Raid0 Toshiba NVMe 2.5 inch PCIe SSD, Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 OC'ed 150+ Core / 150+ Mem, 17.3 inch LG IPS HD Display @ 75Hz, Intel 7265AC Wifi, Windows 10 Pro + latest system and video updates BIOS version: .121 EC Firmware version: .106

postadeposu

• CORPORAL
  • GS40 Phantom

Thank you Msı good software. My cpu fan 6666 RPM :biggthumbsup:

Horog

• CORPORAL

Hello,
thank you for this software, but I have problem with RPM.

Notebook:  GE72 2QE Apache Pro
Silent Option:  1.0.1510.2301
I set Advanced mode for CPU and GPU.

CPU fan 100% = 6000 RPM
CPU fan max. = 110% = 6666 RPM (larger value than 110% has same RPM)

CPU Fan power:
Code: [Select]
Default values
-----------------------------------------------------
 %           | 0 |   50 |   56 |   66 |   76 |   86 |
 RPM (calc.) | 0 | 3000 | 3360 | 3960 | 4560 | 5160 |
 RPM (real)  | 0 | 3265 | 3380 | 3966 | 4571 | 5161 |

My values
-----------------------------------------------------
 %           | 0 |   50 |  100 |  110 |  110 |  110 |
 RPM (calc.) | 0 | 3000 | 6000 | 6600 | 6600 | 6600 |
 RPM (real)  | 0 | 3265 | 6000 | 6666 | 6666 | 6666 |

All is works OK until the moment, when the CPU temperature reaches 90°C and CPU start throtlling. After that CPU fan RPM go down to value 5160 and never go back to values adequate to CPU temperature. See the table this value is 86% from Default values table. This situation affected GPU fan too, even though GPU temperature is lower than.
When I disable Interl Turbo Boost, CPU isn't too hot, temperature doesn't reach 90°C and fan works OK.

MSI, is this a bug?

Please help, thank you.
MSI GT73VR 7RE Titan  -  CPU Intel i7 7820HK  |  RAM 32GB DDR4  |  VGA Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5  |  SSD 2x256GB (RAID 0)  |  HDD 1TB (7200rpm)  |  Display 1920x1080 @ 120Hz (5ms) G-SYNC
MSI GE72 2QE Apache Pro  -  CPU Intel i7 5700HQ  |  RAM 16GB DDR3L  |  VGA Nvidia GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5  |  SSD 128GB  |  HDD 1TB (7200rpm)  |  Display 1920x1080

tomesy

• PRIVATE E-2

I can`t start the application on my PE60 6QE Windows 7, it simply crashes... Is there hope for fixing it? Fan noise in idle annoys me very much.

sonstiges-flr

• PRIVATE E-2

I recently bought a Gaming Notebook GS72 6QE. The power is awful but the disadvantage in form of a very very very annoying cpu fan noise was going on my nerves. Sure the program silent option is one possibility but only reduces the problem a bit. I set the first 3 sliders on cpu section to zero and used Windows 10 power settings to reduce cpu etc. It doesn´t really helped because the cpu get hotter and hotter and the fan runs when it reaches 60 degree. After some minutes it is repeating. And on the other side the surface gets really hot. Other fan speed reducing software had the same effect. I spent a week in trying to unlock the bios or reduce the ground speed of the cpu fan but 3700 rpm seems to be its minimum. I should bought a GT72 whose fan is running at lower speed.
The only solution for me was Intels Extreme Tuning utility. I used this to undervolt my cpu an so the surface gets coller and the cpu doesn´t get hotter than 55 degree in standard tasks like surfing the net and doing office tasks. Keep in mind you cannot change the multiplier on this notebook.

I uploaded my profiles to my webspace: [url=https://it-support-ffm.de/downloads/xtuprofiles/]https://it-support-ffm.de/downloads/xtuprofiles/[/url]

Profile FLR3 is the medium one with slighly less undervolting and FLR is the maximum undervolting. 

Disclaimer: 

Be carful while changing the settings.It took nearly 10 bluescreens to find out the maxixmum settings. Everything you try is at your own risk and i am not responsible for errors and damages which could occur.

@MSI: You should consider changing the design for GS72. It is a shame that this not really cheap device has such a design flaw and getting hot and noisy. I think even gamers don´t need always maximum performance on all day tasks and like to work in silence.

jorgefhq

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi,

Any chance to get it working in a GT72-6QD?

Thanks,

kern.oriordan

• PRIVATE E-2

Please add support for GP72 6QE!

jorgefhq

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi,

Any chance to get it working in a GT72-6QD?

Thanks,
It actually works flawlessly.

Great job!;D

lonewolf331

• SERGEANT

I would like this to work for GE72 6QF.
Since a BIOS and EC Firmware update, my fan speeds went from 8000 RPMs to 6000 RPMs. Temps went from a comfortable 55-60°C to a 75-80°C (average between CPU and dGPU). Rep at support said those are normal temps, but I want the lower temps to protect my system from heat caused issues.

Kathryn

• CORPORAL

Hi, I'm hoping someone sees this and can shed some light.

I've just purchased a new GP62 6QF Leopard Pro laptop (also known as MS-16J5) which I've only had for 24 hours, from the second I turned the machine on the CPU fan was running at 3000+ RPM before windows had even loaded. It then stays at 3000 RPM even when idle. I've updated the bios, updated the firmware etc but it hasn't changed anything.

Firstly, I assume this isn't normal for the fan to always be on from the second you hit the power button. During my searching I came across this forum mentioning the silent option application, I checked the supported models list and while lots of similar models are listed, mine isn't. After trying everything I could find online to lower the fan speed I decided to just install the program.

The program seems to be working perfectly and is doing everything I hoped it would.

My questions are:

1. Why was my laptop running the CPU fan at 3000 RPM all the time by default even when idle, is something wrong?
2. Is it safe for me to use this program despite my model not being in the supported list?

Thank you in advance.

jackjt8

• STAFF SERGEANT

Rep at support said those are normal temps

I might want to show them my GPU running at 92C then. Oh wait, I tried once before...

With cooler boost 3 running full wack as well. Pre updating my bios and EC, both my CPU and GPU fan would hit 7200rpm using CB3 and my temps would be a nice and low 70C. But since updating not only is my max rpm lower, but the GPU fan is a whole 1000rpm slower, at around 6000rpm and ofc, temps hit 92C. On top of that, the GPU does NOT thermal throttle. Even at 92C, the Tmax for the chip, the core still operates at max boost frequency. And there is no fan override when the temps get this high. There is no way they can be this stupid, It's not rocket science to see that sometime is wrong. Honestly the support reps don't even read anything you post, they probably just copy and paste the best fit answer.

justinweeks1988.jw

• PRIVATE E-2

msiTechNB, is it possible if you could post a picture or update this program with actual degrees in celsius numbers. There is a certain temp I am trying to achieve because my i7 4720hq  begins to get hot when playing games that utilize a lot of the cpu, like WoW. It is hard to figure out the temp I want to achieve with the fan curve options in advanced settings just using a bar that is blue to red, hot to cold, and does not have actual temp numbers. I praise you for developing this program, I have looked everywhere for something that could control fan speed on my MSI GE72 2QE Apache laptop, and could not find ANYTHING that could even recognize that there were even fans on my device besides Dragon Gaming Center but it only sees one fan and it also can't be used to create a fan curve profile.

I also want to ask a quick question. when using this program is it possible to set percentages higher than 100%? or will it just max at 100% if I set them at, say, 120-150%?

jordyimanredjo

• PRIVATE E-2

Heya!

So I had installed the updated EC firmware 6J5EMS3.108 for my GE62-6QC, which basically lets the fan run constantly.

However, it runs a constant 3000rpm, which isn't that horrendous, but looking back, I actually prefer the old firmware where it kicks in when the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

So I would really like for the this to work with the GE62-6QC,  so I can switch between either a constant running fan or an automatic mode.

As an extra added question I'd like to know if it's even possible to get back to the older firmware?

andri-1995

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey this program has been making problems with my RAM    it just nonstops memory leaking    i used up all my free  14.9 gigs of ram if i leave the computer on idle :(

zboq

• CORPORAL

Heya!

So I had installed the updated EC firmware 6J5EMS3.108 for my GE62-6QC, which basically lets the fan run constantly.

However, it runs a constant 3000rpm, which isn't that horrendous, but looking back, I actually prefer the old firmware where it kicks in when the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

So I would really like for the this to work with the GE62-6QC,  so I can switch between either a constant running fan or an automatic mode.

As an extra added question I'd like to know if it's even possible to get back to the older firmware?
It runs on constant 3000rpm because msi screwed up on how are the components located inside the laptop. And for example to cool the left palm rest it needs air flow because without it it gets very hot if you have original hdd inside. Also cpu gets to 50 deg c and that also heats everything inside. So now with fans working all the time it is cooler but it will make all the fans to die quicker and also makes some noise very noticable in quiet env.  or at night.

edwin.carter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Hmm.. running at a constant 1325rpm in idle for both CPU and GPU and temps stay @ 43-48c and note my overclock in my sig so... standard ambient temps. Obviously @ load they go to the roof. Dunno why people have constant fans running as if if in the BIOS it is forced (shouldn't be). Fans should spin up when your keyboard LEDs come on then within seconds spin down. Something is wrong for some people.

nunorebelovidal

• PRIVATE E-2

I got the GE62 6QD and idle temps are at CPU 38c and GPU 33c .. One fan runs around 3000rpm while the other one is off.. when I click the boost button and let it run for 5 mins while both fans run at 6000 rpm. Idle temps with boost are CPU 34 and GPU 29. I'm pretty happy with the Idle temps..

edwin.carter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Yer temps make sense (2.6Ghz+3.1 Turbo Boost CPU / 970M GPU)  but the constant speed of those fans make it loud-ish for normal use, no? 1300rpms here is barely audible (minor hum) but once I max load my CPU/GPU/both then I max out @ ~3700rpm and its kind loud although not annoying really (put on headphones and its all good).

nunorebelovidal

• PRIVATE E-2

I recommend downloading "silent option" https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=255972.0

misza89

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, is there is any fix for GE62 6QF as this Silent Option tools does not change speed fan. It is still on high low in indle 3100 RPM circa.

gakuseeeee

• PRIVATE E-2

I have GE72 2QD and Fan control is not working. I mean it is launching and running but it is not controlling fan speed.

zipper

• MAJOR

You could try:
http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/DragonCenterv1.1.1605.2601.zip
It's for MSIVortex and the fan control section does work on my Win8.1 GT70 with GTX 680m. I can force the fan from default 2000 rpm to about 1350 rpm on low speed.

zboq

• CORPORAL

I have GE72 2QD and Fan control is not working. I mean it is launching and running but it is not controlling fan speed.
Same here, app works but doesn't control fan speed. 
MSI GE62 6QF

misza89

• PRIVATE E-2

Zipper - Dragon Gaming Center does not allow to change fan speed.

zipper

• MAJOR

Look closely what I wrote: Dragon Center (for MSI Vortex system, a variant of laptop technology in a towerlike box).

misza89

• PRIVATE E-2

Zipper hahahah
This topic is about LAPTOPS so maybe you will answer accorisng to topic not SPAM!!!

zipper

• MAJOR

MSI Vortex sort of belongs to laptop section, it has been told by MSI staff here. And Dragon Center at least partially works with laptops, I can switch my coloured keyboard modes, adjust fan speed, monitor system, launch games etc on GT70 0NE. Before opening your mouth check your facts!

zboq

• CORPORAL

Actually, Dragon Center is way better application for my GE62 6QF than Dragon Gaming Center. It is more intuitive and better looking in my opinion.
Most important is the fact that if I go to advanced option for fan control and move first slider to minimum, the fan speed goes to 0 FINALLY!! :D
Other parts of this app also works fine so I will stick to it for now.

zipper

• MAJOR

Yes, on my GT70, too. But then it ramps up momentarily to 2000 rpm for a couple of seconds and to 0 again  so I rather keep it at stable1250 rpm.

zboq

• CORPORAL

I'm guessing that when Your fan speed is 0 then You get higher temp on cpu and that couses fan to kick in for few seconds. I noticed that on my laptop, but I have moved second bar to 0 in fan utility and after that cpu needs higher temp for fan to spin.

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Honestly, I'd rather have the fans running all the time & make the fans degrade quicker than the laptop components degrading faster because of heat.
It doesn't help that I'm not always in an air-conditioned place.

Thanks to Silent Option though, and contrary to its name, I was able make the fans always running and a bit noisy for the purpose of constantly cooling it.
I wish the fan adjustments were in a slope format though, and that the software mentions on exactly what temperature the fanspeed changes on each level.

Also, uhh, the max fan speed when we click on the fan button at the top-right corner is 6000rpm, but with Silent Option it seems we can get it up to 7000rpm! o_o;;
I'd rather not super-max the fan speed though, even though I did say I'd prioritize cooling over the fan lifespan. I'd crank it only up to 6500rpm.
Call me paranoid if you will.

Meanwhile, 3000rpm +/- is the minimum for me, and that is already rather noisy? I don't find it annoyingly noisy, but eh I guess this is already a subjective matter. ¦3
MSI GE62 2QD Apache Pro, added Samsung EVO 850 M.2 250GB

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Excuse me for the double-post.

I'm guessing that when Your fan speed is 0 then You get higher temp on cpu and that couses fan to kick in for few seconds. I noticed that on my laptop, but I have moved second bar to 0 in fan utility and after that cpu needs higher temp for fan to spin.
Uhh, naturally. Though, I recommend setting the second bar's slider to the minimum speed your fan can run. You don't want your laptop innards to degrade faster because of not bearing with minimal fan noise. …though eh, I'm just being paranoid.

And Dragon Center at least partially works with laptops, I can switch my coloured keyboard modes, adjust fan speed, monitor system, launch games etc on GT70 0NE.
Partially? I say it fully works with laptops!…provided enough features are support with the laptop one has, anyway. It works on my GE62 2QD, at least.

I have to thank you for sharing Dragon Center. Indeed, it's more intuitive, although it is rather inconsistent. It still needs the other MSI apps like MSI True Color to work properly, but can do away with Silent Options. Also definitely doesn't work with Dragon Gaming Center because it messes with the SHIFT feature & stuff, so don't run it with that. =w=;

misza89

• PRIVATE E-2

zboq
Where you found Dragon Center? I see only Drogaon Gaming Center there is no other app to download.

zipper

• MAJOR

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Aaaahh going back to just Silent Option.
Dragon Center seems to be unable to constantly apply the custom fan speed settings I applied. It does gets applied, but after awhile it goes back to the default settings for reasons unknown, unfortunately.

tjc_2005

• PRIVATE E-2

Great, thanks for this Skylake version...

Can someone tell me what they have their advance settings on? e.g. Slider 1 what percentage is that? and so on and so forth... So I can copy you... Kind of annoying that you can't see what temperature the fans kick in.

Thanks in advance.

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

CPU | dGPU:
  • 50   | 50
  • 60   | 60
  • 80   | 75
  • 90   | 90
  • 100 | 100
  • 115 | 108
Minimum my lappy can achieve is 50% or ~3000RPM anyway. 100% is 6000RPM (when fan button is turned on), and lappy super-maxes out at 7000RPM.
Take note: These numbers are me being paranoid of laptop heat tho, so numbers are high. =w=;

tjc_2005

• PRIVATE E-2

Thanks, I tried that but it's really loud, I have the skylake version. Not sure what temperature is what, by looking at the chart, so I'm not sure at what temp it is when the fans kick in.

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention I go for turbo-ish fan speeds, making stuff rather noisy but with the compensation of a somehow cooler system. I did mention I'm paranoid of laptop heat tho, hence such high speed percentages. =w=

Yeah, sad that the exact temperatures aren't stated.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up