Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: (Updated:2016/05/06)"Silent Option" Fan Control Application for MSI Laptops  (Read 234282 times)

lloyd_dunamis and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

tjc_2005

• PRIVATE E-2

Yeah that's true, thanks. I'll probably leave it on auto for now.

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Aaahh, well, auto is worse, it doesn't even reach like 80% of your fan speed at the hottest temperature, I believe. >.<
At least make it like 100% on the hottest one, then sloping down towards 50% or so on the other settings.
MSI GE62 2QD Apache Pro, added Samsung EVO 850 M.2 250GB

sopisa51

• CORPORAL

MSI GE62 2QD Apache Pro with i7 5700HQ

Windows 7 x64 with Net Framework 4.6.1

When I open it, it gives me this error message: "Firmware communication failed".

Edit: fixed

sopisa51

• CORPORAL

In advanced mode, I see some options with the fans at 150%. Shouldnt max be 100%? If not,what is the max %?

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

The max is whatever is the max your device's fan can handle.  In my GE62 2QD's case:
Max the fan can spin up to = 7000RPM (116.67%.)
100% = 6000RPM

Any higher percentage (i.e. 118-150%) won't make any more difference in speed.

The 100% is probably what MSI set as some kind of "base max speed" for the Fan Boost button, and then any other varying fan speeds are calculated from there. 'May be an anti-wear measure for the fan, or another marketing strategy where "This program can boost your fan, exceeding its max speed!" or something. But that's just me.

marko.leone

• PRIVATE E-2

this Silent Fan app works PERFECT on my GE62 6QF using Windows 7 Pro
reducing my fan speed to COMPLETELY SILENT down to 0%

but you have to do it via its ADVANCED tab (auto and basic are too weak)
and there then pull down the left 2 sliders all the way down to 0%
both on the CPU + GPU tab.

and it works especially great when coupled with the Windows internal "Power Saver" Mode
(which is my favorite of all for SAFE and nonstop low energy use, when plugged in all the time)
and working fanless is even also possible in the Windows "High Performance" Mode as-well
as long as you are simply doing basic tasks that wont kick up the CPU temperature above 60° Celsius
(and which is plenty of room for Office, Image Editing, or Surfing up to like 20 tabs in parallel etc.).

and then for the QUICK switch between the "Power Saver" Mode
(which again i have on most of the time, even when being plugged in)
and the "High Performance" Mode (which is about 4x faster in almost any task)
for this quick switching i have the windows internal app
called "Windows Mobility Center" pinned to my taskbar,
which i also recommend anybody put as-well who is using Win 7,
as with it you can so easily switch 
between a fully quiet laptop mode
and a highest performance mode 
whenever you need it.

and thus effectively, i have now a FANLESS 15" laptop
that is not a weak machine, but a strong Quadcore i7 6700HQ laptop
and on which i can enable the fan whenever i need the power,
by simply doing a quick switch, to the High Performance Mode.

so that, needless to say,
i am very satisfied with this set-up,
and shall remain with MSI laptops for years to come
especially exactly because of this so great option,
to have a power-laptop like this also run
in a completely silent mode as-well.

greetings
donleone

seaboss247

• SERGEANT

Perfect what I needed on my MSI GT70. I can adjust my laptop fan speed to the max turbo boost setting without opening the lid to do this. Works better then the modded community version. Thanks msi.

adm.jachas

• PRIVATE E-2

On my GL72 6QD I have the same problem with Silent Option and MSI Dragon Center. This model has only one fan for CPU cooling. When I choose the basic settings and set the slider to the lowest level my fan is working on about 3000rpm which is a too loud for me to hear it all the time. What is really helpful then is to set advanced settings and put all the sliders to the lowest level. This way fan is disabled until temperature raise to about 70C (because last slider on the right is locked and can't be on the lowest level). I'm really happy with this setting, but when fan starts to work on 70C it accelerates to about 4500rpm and never stops. Even if temperature returns to 40C it's still working. Then I need to choose basic settings and after the fan slows down to 3000rpm I have to switch to advanced again so fan stops. Do you have the same problem? Is there any solution to set the fan to be disabled and when the temperature is high enough to start working but only to the point when temperature is low enough again and then to be turned off automatically?

vancriser

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello, I have the MSI GL62 6QF-849XES and the fan speed is at 50% since I press the power button. The thing is that is so annoying, specially when I go to the library.
I tried Silent Option and whatever I do never works, I also tried Afterburner, SpeedFan and CPUID Hardware Monitor and none of those works. I also looked on the Bios but I didn't found anything that could make it go lower.
I do not understand why MSI puts the standard velocity at 50% if I have the option to put it at 100% with the cooler boost when it is hot.

Does anyone knows anything that could help me?

project.jer

• STAFF SERGEANT

Hi, please I've small problem with Silent Option utility on my GT70-2OC. I've installed version for Haswell CPUs, but after restart it shows "Error firmware communication". I've latest all drivers, MEI, EC, BIOS. Any solution?
If I help you, mark my solution as the best" Thank you ;)

RX-8

• MAJOR
  • 0-Post Bumper

What's your EC version? Is it the latest?
Did you remove the battery for several seconds and put it back after finishing the update of EC? Because it requires EC reset.
Have installed Help Desk inside your system? Find it on Utility webpage of your product website.
Use it to export your system info and share with others so that everyone can help you more quickly and precisely:biggthumbsup:

pratyush.desai92

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey Thanks for the skylake version...
Just tried tweaking a bit the fans seem to respond so far.. Shall post here if I notice anything. I'm on the GS60 6QE btw.

TY
SVET

austin_lmx

• PRIVATE E-2

i cant open silent option, what's the problem? Please guide me

austin_lmx

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: MSI laptop "Silent Option" FAN control software
« Reply #363 on: 15-September-16, 03:31:13 »

ok after reboot it is working. Thanks for the program msi team. by the way mine is ge62 2qf

HI there, im using ge62 2qf as well but i cant open the programme after reboot. any idea why?

akinayan

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello, i have a GE72 6QD, i have the same Problem like a lot of people here. There is no step between 0 rpm and 3458 rpm. I can set it but it has no effect between 1% and 57%. There is no difference, fan has the same speed. i sent my notebook to repair 2 days later after i bought it, 1 month later it came back with the same issue. i checked other notebooks of same model, they all same crazy behavoir. Why are you doing this MSI? 3k rpm is not a normal speed for idle run. Why it is not possible set it to 10% or 20%?

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Hello, i have a GE72 6QD, i have the same Problem like a lot of people here. There is no step between 0 rpm and 3458 rpm. I can set it but it has no effect between 1% and 57%. There is no difference, fan has the same speed. i sent my notebook to repair 2 days later after i bought it, 1 month later it came back with the same issue. i checked other notebooks of same model, they all same crazy behavoir. Why are you doing this MSI? 3k rpm is not a normal speed for idle run. Why it is not possible set it to 10% or 20%?
It's not really an issue, at least I won't call it that. It might be the fans only runs at minimum 3000rpm by design, or MSI just limits things to a minimum 3000rpm. Yeah, I would've preferred a wide range of speed options for the fan, too.

We can bring this up to MSI support, and with the many people complaining about it, maybe they'd do something about it.

gabrielhpugliese

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I have a MSI GE72 2QF and got a very strange issue with Silent Option (reproduced many times):

1- Put everything on 150% on CPU and GPU: 7000rpm on CPU and 0 on GPU (because we are not using GPU yet)
2- Start a CPU and GPU demanding app (mine is Overwatch)
3- Game opens, CPU fan goes to 5000rpm and GPU fan goes to 7000rpm (WHY CPU FAN SLOWS DOWN?)
4- After 75C, GPU fan goes to 5000rpm - both fans stays on 5000rpm forever and heat increases a lot.

What is going on here? What is taking control of fans???

sportkung

• CAPTAIN

I have a MSI GE72 2QF and got a very strange issue with Silent Option (reproduced many times):

1- Put everything on 150% on CPU and GPU: 7000rpm on CPU and 0 on GPU (because we are not using GPU yet)
2- Start a CPU and GPU demanding app (mine is Overwatch)
3- Game opens, CPU fan goes to 5000rpm and GPU fan goes to 7000rpm (WHY CPU FAN SLOWS DOWN?)
4- After 75C, GPU fan goes to 5000rpm - both fans stays on 5000rpm forever and heat increases a lot.

What is going on here? What is taking control of fans???

Hi gabrielhpugliese,

Could you export the system information by latest Help Desk and post that info in here?
Let forum guys help you to check the software environment.

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Probably a hardware-level forcing of fans that is applied when it reaches beyond the hottest temperature Silent Option has customizable, or something like that. It happens with Silent Option on my GE62 2QD, too.

The CPU fan slowing down from 7000rpm to 5000rpm is likely due to the CPU hitting the "hottest temperature that SIlent Option doesn't let customize" first before the GPU does.

You're better off turning on the fan boost button at this point to max it out at 6000rpm. Not 7000rpm, sadly, but at least much better than 5000rpm (4800rpm in my case).

gabrielhpugliese

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hey sportkung, it is attached, thanks!

Hey lloyd_dunamis, where can I turn on the fan boost button? I think I missed that one. Thanks!

lloyd_dunamis

• SERGEANT

Hey lloyd_dunamis, where can I turn on the fan boost button? I think I missed that one. Thanks!
Uhh, it should be on the 1st button from the left, on the top-left corner of your laptop. In other words, the button just left to the SteelSeries button.

Also, somehow, I couldn't see your attachment, even though the post says it has one.

gabrielhpugliese

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Oh thanks! Didn't know about that button!

Trying to attach again.

gabrielhpugliese

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Idk but I can't attach things, so I made a gist: https://gist.github.com/gabrielhpugliese/51e2aee90acb457ea0adc548c3df8dae

Thank you so much for the help!

ifvip

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey guys, my problem is when I set it to -20%, it will work fine and stable at 2900 RPM, but after about 5 min it starts to go up and down immediately from around 3500 to 2600, and become so annoying from quite to loud, quite to loud that I have to turn it off.

mine is GP60 2PE Leopard, Win 10

yu.chen.yang

• SERGEANT

I have a GL62 6QF with i5 6300HQ, I'm wondering if my laptop can run the fan control properly.
To have the fan running at 3400 rpm at 25-35 degree celsius and all I do is just web browsing is really annoying.

h2611089

• PRIVATE E-2

Fan engineering of this notebooks is very bad. I bought a cooler and set green mode to get silence, this is unbelievable for a 2016 product!

stephen

• PRIVATE E-2

I have a GL62 6QF with i5 6300HQ, I'm wondering if my laptop can run the fan control properly.
To have the fan running at 3400 rpm at 25-35 degree celsius and all I do is just web browsing is really annoying.

i have a GL62 6QC with an i5-6300HQ and have the same problem. Fan is constantly at 3400rpm even at 30c

wish this software worked for GL :biggthumbsdown:

jet-set

• PRIVATE E-2

I wait utility for GP72 6QF. FAN speed is 3000 RPM, CPU Temperature is 25-27C.

zipper

• MAJOR

Have you tried Dragon Center - it works with my old GT70 fan:
http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/DragonCenterv1.2.1609.0602.zip

rebecca03032004

• PRIVATE E-2

It works perfectly.
My fan doesn't seem run at its max speed when i put it on 100%. When i put it on 50%, it goes up to ~3000rpm. But when i put it on 100% or above, it only goes up to ~5000rpm. I also only get ~5000rpm with turbo fan button on.
Is there any way to unlock the limit and go beyond 5000rpm?

erkanduman43

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi
It seems the program just works in 3 options. Fan speed of 0%, 50% and >50%. Can you please make it work <50%. I adjusted the fan speed to 0% for the lowest 3 temperature categories and I am concerned whether this change causes any problems to the cpu. I would like to make the fan work around 1000-1500 rpm for the lowest 3 temperature categories. And can anyone who tested the program tell me whether my adjustment will cause any problems or not? With this setting, finally I can easily read journals in pdf without getting headaches. If this fan problem still keeps on going like this in msi notebooks, I am pretty sure that my next laptop wont be an msi.

Thank you very much.

h2611089

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi
It seems the program just works in 3 options. Fan speed of 0%, 50% and >50%. Can you please make it work <50%. I adjusted the fan speed to 0% for the lowest 3 temperature categories and I am concerned whether this change causes any problems to the cpu. I would like to make the fan work around 1000-1500 rpm for the lowest 3 temperature categories. And can anyone who tested the program tell me whether my adjustment will cause any problems or not? With this setting, finally I can easily read journals in pdf without getting headaches. If this fan problem still keeps on going like this in msi notebooks, I am pretty sure that my next laptop wont be an msi.

Thank you very much.
Please MSI release an EC firmware with sets rpm at 1000-1500rpm for lowest temperatures!

arnaud.lonys

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey guys, 
I got a msi gs60 2PE ghost pro.
I installed the Silent option and also the dragon center on windows 10 home 64bit and with both tools I can't go under 2700rpm.
Once I go under 2700rpm It cycles from 0 to 3600rpm over and over.
Can anybody help?

Thanks!

tenerowicz.michal

• PRIVATE E-2

Silent Option dont working in GL62 6QF fan no slowing :/ :censored:

yu.chen.yang

• SERGEANT

Thank you for testing out...

PLEASE MSI

pmg.farys

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi!

I have MSI GL62 6QD but this model is not on supported list - is there another option to change fan's speed?
All the time I have about 3000 rpm, even when it did not do! Is this normal or is something wrong?

sylo

• SERGEANT

I think the software is good but can we please get a temperature range instead of a simple color bar? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set up my fan speeds when I'm trying to guess temperatures as well.

Thanks

RX-8

• MAJOR
  • 0-Post Bumper

Let me remind you guys about fan control:
- Some fans only start to spin on 3000 RPM. For this kind of fans, there's no way to spin below 3000 RPM. The required voltage for them only kicks them on minimum 3000 RPM.
- Dragon Center only works on Vortex or Skylake models. For Haswell/Broadwell models, just use Dragon Gaming Center along with Silent Option.
Have installed Help Desk inside your system? Find it on Utility webpage of your product website.
Use it to export your system info and share with others so that everyone can help you more quickly and precisely:biggthumbsup:

zipper

• MAJOR

Dragon Center works fine with my Ivy Brige as long as the fuctions are available/supported. I'm mainly using it to control the fan.

mhendiz_oguzhan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

We want to support gp62 6qf !

gaston.kirsman

• PRIVATE E-2

We want to support gp62 6qf !
So. Any solution for gp62 6qf? The left fan is ALWAYS on. My cpu temperature is 30........

dardaw2

• PRIVATE E-2

I have the same problem with my new laptop MSI GL62 6QC.
I lunch Silent Option app, but I can't set up lower fan speed than 3300 RPM. Under that speed, fan is turning off.
It is any reason to fix it?

ataman.m

• PRIVATE E-2

MSI GE72 6QC Fan Speed 1  after update EC firmware wass constatly working 3000 RPM

sloved problem

re instal EC firmware too older version  1795EMS3.1041110

Regards

games.gaston

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

MSI GE72 6QC Fan Speed 1  after update EC firmware wass constatly working 3000 RPM

sloved problem

re instal EC firmware too older version  1795EMS3.1041110

Regards

Where do you find older firmware versions? Is there any tutorial how to update firmware?

I am using the GP62 6QF and the left fan is always on at 3200RPM or more.

raseru15

• PRIVATE E-2

Had no problems getting this working on my GP72 6QF until today when I was idling at 45-55C. Noticed I was in Sports Mode in Dragon Gaming Center. Switched over to Green Mode for a bit, dropped down to 30C. Fan still wouldn't stop, was running at 2800 RPM until I moved the first slider up to 100% and it went to 4800 RPM and wouldn't come back down.

Well, I finally got it to turn off the fan after some fiddling. Now the CPU is back up at 42C and fan doesn't seem to want to start back up.

Anyway here's what I did, don't know if it will work for others with same issues.

1. Set sliders to 0% for CPU fan (might only need to do first one, I happened to do all of them)
2. Exit Silent Option
3. Open Silent Option

The default button in the advanced screen should now set to what your settings were when you exited.

4. Set sliders to 100%
5. Hit default

EDIT: Tried setting the higher temperature sliders to proper positions and restarting the application, don't seem to be able to repeat it now.
EDIT2: And now toggling turbo fans on and off while just the first slider was at 0% got the fan to stop.

andrei.voinea93

• PRIVATE E-2

Is there any chance we can get this on linux or you can even open source it? ^^

Hammerfest

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Details: GE72-6QD

I can confirm what someone else mentioned about fans sticking to 3000RPM's~ (more like 3100-3300RPM area for me personally)

If I use the advanced options and set it to 0%, the fan stops, if i set it to ANYTHING in the range of 1% to 53-54%, it sits at the above mentioned RPM's, so, at least until they fix the EC-Firmware totally useless for "fine grain" control...

If I set it to 100% it spins up to 5925RPM's, there is no change if i set it anywhere above the 100% up to 150% (really? this is a thing... also unless it cant report higher and is actually spinning at 6000RPM's or higher, which I dont think it is as noise would would increase as well, this is a non-functional area)

So your actual "changeable" range is from 55%~ to 100%, anything from 1% to 54% and 101% to 150% does NADA!
Ether the software needs an update, or, im going to agree with the previous poster, downgrade the firmware for now, or hope MSI fix's the EC-Firmware and provides us with an upgrade!

REQUEST: and this applies to the Dragon Gaming Center as well, please for the love of god, let me set it to F for temperature (not an option in "Silent Option") and make it STICK (does not stick in Dragon Gaming Center, changes back to C upon restart).
I like the MORE PRECISE measurement's for my temperatures, I like my precision so much that I would even request Kelvin be added as well if that was possible...

dialko

• PRIVATE E-2

Can you please make workable fan control silent option for AIO Gaming 27 6QE. Fan noise is really annoying in office apps.

dima.lu85

• PRIVATE E-2

Details: GE72-6QD

I can confirm what someone else mentioned about fans sticking to 3000RPM's~ (more like 3100-3300RPM area for me personally)

If I use the advanced options and set it to 0%, the fan stops, if i set it to ANYTHING in the range of 1% to 53-54%, it sits at the above mentioned RPM's, so, at least until they fix the EC-Firmware totally useless for "fine grain" control...

If I set it to 100% it spins up to 5925RPM's, there is no change if i set it anywhere above the 100% up to 150% (really? this is a thing... also unless it cant report higher and is actually spinning at 6000RPM's or higher, which I dont think it is as noise would would increase as well, this is a non-functional area)

So your actual "changeable" range is from 55%~ to 100%, anything from 1% to 54% and 101% to 150% does NADA!
Ether the software needs an update, or, im going to agree with the previous poster, downgrade the firmware for now, or hope MSI fix's the EC-Firmware and provides us with an upgrade!

REQUEST: and this applies to the Dragon Gaming Center as well, please for the love of god, let me set it to F for temperature (not an option in "Silent Option") and make it STICK (does not stick in Dragon Gaming Center, changes back to C upon restart).
I like the MORE PRECISE measurement's for my temperatures, I like my precision so much that I would even request Kelvin be added as well if that was possible...

Same on GS72-6QE.

Really want one or two more slider in "cool" zone.
Also, most part of time I work in "office/balanced" mode and if I set first (left) slider to 0 and second to 50%(for example), cooler starts to work nearly every 5 min. ON/OFF every 5-10 mins it is just annoys me. I think it is possible to find some kind of balanced settings, when cooler most time is working, but in very low RPM (think 500 should be enough). So the noise would be not high and there would be now tick-tack on\off all time. 

Thanks a lot!

guvennalbantcy

• CORPORAL

It does not work on GE62-6QD :( Any suggestions? I know it says it supports Skylake i7-6xxx CPU (and mine is 6700HQ), it doesn't work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up