Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Silent Option" Fan Control Application for MSI Laptops  (Read 16446 times)

msiTechNBTopic starter

• Notebook Moderator

Hello MSI fans,

Here comes the beta version of fan control application for MSI laptops.
Version: 1.0.1506.0201
Release Date: 2015/6/2
Download Link:  * SilentOption_1.0.1506.0201.zip (1963.87 kB - downloaded 3607 times.)
Please feel free to share your ideas to help us to improve it based on current features.
Thank you very much.

<<What is the feature of Silent Option?>>
The feature of Silent Option is for decreasing fan noise by controlling fan speed .

System Requirement:
1. MSI SCM application must be installed.
2. For Windows 7, please install .NET Framework 4.0.
    For Windows 8/8.1, please install .NET Framework 4.0 or newer version.
    Currently Windows 10 not supported.
3. Require administrator privilege during the installation.
4. Only supports on some models. Please refer to the model list in PDF file.

>> * Silent Option Model List (0515).pdf (146.86 kB - downloaded 1764 times.)
5. Only supports MSI branded models.

Simple Introductions:
1. Download and extract the installer to your local disk, right-click setup.exe, and select
"Run as administrator" to install.

2. Restart Windows, and it will become a resident process in the System Tray. Double-click the Silent Option icon to open it.

3.This is default settings screen.

4. Simple mode is the default.

5. Advanced mode

6. Advanced mode allows you to backup the customized values.

Give it a try, and share your ideas, thank you.

AN63L1

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: "Silent Option" Fan Control Application for MSI Laptops
« Reply #1 on: 21-June-15, 03:11:38 »

Thanks for the tool. Thats exactly what i was searching for.
Only problem for me, after installing i just get an empty window, where i can't do anything.
To fix the problem, i allready tried:
Reinstalling of .NET Framework 4.5.2
Reinstalling of SCM (newest version for my laptop)
Reinstalling of Silent Tool as Admin
I hope you can help me to fix this problem.
Additional info about my laptop:
MSI GT72 2QD
Win 8.1 64 Bit

ayeb.neil

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 21-June-15, 06:17:45 »

it simply crashes for me..
I really need this tool because my GT72 2QD is making a plane noise after gaming for a little time, GPU fan is driving me crasy, it goes slowly from 2k rpm which is okey to 2.5k still okey, to 3.4k rpm with temps 67°C even when after 5minutes of ultra speed cooling the temps go back to 62° it keeps running at 3.4k making afwul noise !

Foodceng14

• CORPORAL
  • Ing Electronic on PC
« Reply #3 on: 12-July-15, 20:35:23 »

Useful really any pc :(  :welcome:

Talentless

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 14-July-15, 05:29:49 »

Great work on this tool, although I have to admit in my opinion this machine runs both quiet and cool.  A credit to MSI, not to take away from your efforts.
MSI GT73VR 6RF Titan Pro 201 | Intel Skylake-H i7-6820HK CPU 2.7GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB VRAM with G-Sync GPU | 120hz IPS Panel | 64GB DDR4-2400 RAM | Super RAID 4 1TB SSD (PCIE Gen3 x4) NVMe [512GB *2] + 1TB (SATA) 7200RPM | 3k mb/s read/write | 6352 Time Spy, 14656 Fire Strike 1.1.

ilias__

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 14-September-15, 05:47:59 »

Any idea when the GS60 will be supported?

Edit: Never mind. I have found the new topic.

sean_g98

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 30-September-15, 03:16:59 »

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask, Why is that when I downloaded the application,  the fan rpm became 0? Is this normal? or an issue? Please answer ASAP

mdrummer5

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 05-October-15, 08:20:59 »

Any ETA on when this will be available for Windows 10?

VerbalKint

• CORPORAL
« Reply #8 on: 06-October-15, 07:19:49 »

Hi to all

First of all, this is a great idea and a great job! I was looking fot something like this since my dear first msi gaming laptop (a gt660r), so I really appreciate it. Now unfortunately I've just updated my gs30 to Windows 10, so I would like to know too if it's going to be released a Win10 version and which could be the ETA. 
Again thanks for the great job.

ossianscave

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 07-October-15, 14:56:09 »

ETA Windows 10?

ossianscave

• CORPORAL
« Reply #10 on: 10-October-15, 07:27:09 »

We are asking? When for Windows 10?

muyuanc

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 10-October-15, 07:42:11 »

Same here. 
I was wondering when will windows 10 be supported.

Rob.ITInetworks

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 10-October-15, 14:27:47 »

Installed fine on my GP 60E

Now lets see how well it performs

aldel

• CORPORAL
« Reply #13 on: 11-October-15, 17:28:40 »

Here are some comments and questions on Silent Option. I hope these are taken as constructive feedback. I'm really happy that this app exists.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a GS60 Ghost-607 (i7-5700HQ and GTX 965M).

• It's strange that it requires the SCM app. But then, it's hard to tell what SCM is even supposed to be for. There's no description on the download page, and it doesn't appear to do anything that standard Windows control panels don't do.
  • Silent Option and SCM both take up memory (it varies, but I've seen Silent Option use 24 megabytes as a background process, and SCM take up 33). This is annoying for those of us trying to keep our systems clean. It's not much compared to 16GB of total memory, but there are so many little processes like these that it adds up.
  • Quitting the processes makes the fans go back to the default levels; and restarting Silent Option seems to crash for me.
  • The fact that the process has to be running is disturbing. Does this mean that if Silent Option crashes, the processor could cook itself? I would have expected it to upload the fan curves to the hardware and then let the hardware take care of it, but if this was the case, the process wouldn't have to run all the time. You could kill it and the settings would still be in effect.
  • I wish the temperature scale in the "advanced" settings was labeled in degrees C, rather than just color-coded. What does green or yellow mean? Or does each fan setting even correspond to a particular temperature? (I've seen inconsistent behavior when watching the actual core temperatures, so maybe not, but that makes the advanced mode less useful.)
  • It would be really nice if it could display the current CPU and GPU temperatures and fan speeds. There are some other apps available, but I haven't found one that shows everything I want to see.
  • What settings are actually safe? Or are all settings safe, and it's just a matter of my preferences about fan noise vs. case temperature? In other words, if I set the advanced settings to all zeros, will the CPU cook itself? (My guess is no, but it's hard to tell since there are no explanations.)
  • It's too bad that a "1%" fan speed is so loud. Based on an article I saw somewhere, I think the "1%" is actually more like 48% of the fan's maximum speed. It seems like 0% (off) is usually not sufficient, and 1% is usually more than sufficient, when doing low-CPU things like web browsing and document editing. I'd rather have the fan running all the time, at a lower speed, than turning on and off. (This is more like feedback on the GS60 hardware than on Silent Option, but I think it had to be said.)
  • [EDIT] A suggestion: how about different settings for running on battery and on AC?

aldel

• CORPORAL
« Reply #14 on: 15-October-15, 09:19:59 »

I take it back; I don't think "separate settings for battery and AC" would really be that useful. What's needed is just a quick way to switch between a couple different stored presets. It's far too much work to change the settings currently.

gianluigi77

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #15 on: 15-October-15, 20:57:06 »

As others, I kindly ask when Windows 10 will be supported.

After upgrading the BIOS, my MSI GS 60 2QE became noisy (even with very low cpu usage and temps) due to the modification of the "Fan table follow Thermal team request" (as stated by MSI).

Please support Windows 10 ASAP (and/or release a new and better BIOS for GS60 2QE changing fan table...)!

ossianscave

• CORPORAL
« Reply #16 on: 31-October-15, 14:38:09 »

Still no response from MSI then.

aldel

• CORPORAL
« Reply #17 on: 07-November-15, 08:46:27 »

I think what's really needed (aside from, obviously, Windows 10 support), is a command-line interface. This would be really easy to do, and would make it possible to bind keyboard shortcuts to control the fan.

It would also allow independent programmers (like me!) to create other fan-control applications, if, for example, we didn't like the Silent Option UI.

The command-line version could be really simple. Just something like:

SilentOption --less

to decrease the Simple Mode slider,

SilentOption --more

to increase it,

SilentOption --set 5

to set the slider to 5 (range would be -20 to +20, same as the GUI), or

SilentOption --advanced settings.txt

to switch to Advanced Mode and import a settings file called settings.txt.

Also, shouldn't the minimum setting (-20) for simple mode let the fan turn off at low temperatures? It is called Silent Option, after all.

As it is, changing the settings takes far too many clicks, especially if you're using Advanced mode. It would help a bit if the Apply button was removed, and it just applied the settings when you change them. Having a way to open the window from the keyboard would be helpful too.

aldel

• CORPORAL
« Reply #18 on: 07-November-15, 13:20:09 »

Oh. Apparently there's another, more active thread on the same subject (even has the same thread title). I guess I'll cross-post there.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=255972.100

AN63L1

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 07-November-15, 23:10:34 »

Thanks a lot for the other thread, this version isn't even updated with the newest version of the tool.
Now i can try the newest version :)

aldel

• CORPORAL
« Reply #20 on: 08-November-15, 06:52:31 »

Thanks a lot for the other thread, this version isn't even updated with the newest version of the tool. Now i can try the newest version :)

What, really?? Hey, you're right. I assumed the one in this thread was more up to date, because the thread was started later. Weird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up