Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI 970A Boot Error Code 99  (Read 31108 times)

shooffnycTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello, I am a new member here on MSI forum. I have decided to purchase MSI products and have been happy with them so far. However, my last build I seem to be having an issue. So I wanted to come here and see if some help can be offered.

I purchased a MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition AM3+USB 3.1 Motherboard. After the build was complete, I was able to boot in fine and everything. But after the fourth or fifth time, when I powered on the system, I got a black screen with the number "99" on the bottom right corner of the screen. So I went ahead and pressed the reset button to reset the boot. Same thing happened. Then I forced the system off, waited a few seconds and turned it on. Same thing. Blank screen with the number "99" on the bottom right hand corner.

Then I forced it off, unplugged the power cable from the power supply, waited about 30 seconds and plugged it back it and powered it on. This time it booted up. That was on the first day.

Since then it has happened about 3 times already. So I have to do that same thing in order to get it running. I want to know if something can be done about this and if the techs on MSI knows why this happens. I have the motherboard updated to the latest BIOS version.

Here is the spec for my build and how it's configured:

Motherboard:    970A SLI Krait Edition AM3+USB 3.1 Motherboard
CPU:                    
AMD FX-6350 Vishera 125W AM3+ CPU
Memory:             Kingston HyperX Fury White Series 16GB DDR3 1866 memory
Graphics Card:    MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB Thermal Armor Edition GPU
SSD:                     Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD(On SATA 5 port - OS)
HDD:                  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD(On Sata 5 Port - Storage Drive)
PSU:                   EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W PLUS Certified PSU
DVDRW:             LITE-ON DVD Burner(On SATA 4 port)
Fan Controller:   NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Case:                   NZXT Phantom 240 White Case

All motherboard settings were kept at default settings. The system is not overclocked. OC genie is off.

Could you tell me if you can look into this and possible address this on the next BIOS update if possible? Or let me know what I can do to make it stop appearing randomly. Thanks.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: 01-August-15, 19:20:14 »

POST CODE "99" DEFINITION is "Super IO Initialization".

From what I've been reading online, it appears that it is most likely a problem with the motherboard. I would consider doing an RMA on the motherboard.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4NVidia GTX1060 6GB
System 2MSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4R9 290X
System 3MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon ACIntel i9 9900K16GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
Monitor : MSI Optix MAG

shooffnycTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 01-August-15, 20:05:11 »

That's what I had assumed. Since it's a fairly new motherboard, I thought give it some BIOS update and maybe it'll be fixed. Hence, I'm trying to see if some MSI techs are here who can acknowledge it and maybe address it? But if not, guess the best thing to do is RMA it. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 03-August-15, 10:50:39 »

Here's what I would do.

Double check the CPU connections. Verify that the socket pins are OK. Verify that when you install the CPU, it's getting installed properly.

If all of that is OK, and you're still having issues, then I would proceed with an RMA.

A bios update isn't going to fix the issue you're having, and since I haven't been seeing many users coming in here with a similar problem in relation to this board, I would assume that it isn't an epidemic problem. In other words, I think the problem is particular to your board.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4NVidia GTX1060 6GB
System 2MSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4R9 290X
System 3MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon ACIntel i9 9900K16GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
Monitor : MSI Optix MAG

paulharvey86

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 07-August-15, 11:13:39 »

Hello, wow shooffnyc I'm having almost the same issue and with a very similar build.
At startup I get POST error 99 if I have anything other than my mouse and keyboard connected via USB so my webcam and USB stick all need to be unplugged then after resetting I can get to the bios splash screen and booting into Windows and it's a massive pain since I want to do a clean install of windows from a USB drive. Let me know if your issue was fixed following the RMA or if anyone has any other solutions.

Thanks

Motherboard:    970A SLI Krait Edition AM3+USB 3.1 Motherboard
CPU:                    AMD FX 8370 Black Edition 4GHz Socket AM3+
Memory:             16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fury White Series
Graphics Card:    Asus R9 270 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
HDD:                  Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive
PSU:                   Xenta 700W 12cm Fan PSU - 1x PCI-E 2x SATA
DVDRW:             LG DVD Burner
Case:                   CiT Vantage Gaming Case

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07-August-15, 14:03:41 »

try to boot with mainboard out of PC case placed over wooden table

also tell what bios version you are running

paulharvey86

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 10-August-15, 12:52:01 »

Sorry for the delay in response I have been offline for a few days.
It seems to be okay now I flashed BIOS ver P.1 with no discernible improvement, however after I flashed it again (same version) it looks to be resolved now and is starting up reliably so far.
I did have issues with my display adapter crashing constantly when gaming which I had attributed to installing Windows 10 however after getting the same after going back to 8.1 pro I found that the board sits slight low in my case causing the graphics card to be pulled on slightly when screwed onto the case, managed to fix this temporarily until I can arrange a new case and risers at the end of this month.

shooffnycTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 19-August-15, 02:17:55 »

Sorry for the delay in response I have been offline for a few days.
It seems to be okay now I flashed BIOS ver P.1 with no discernible improvement, however after I flashed it again (same version) it looks to be resolved now and is starting up reliably so far.
I did have issues with my display adapter crashing constantly when gaming which I had attributed to installing Windows 10 however after getting the same after going back to 8.1 pro I found that the board sits slight low in my case causing the graphics card to be pulled on slightly when screwed onto the case, managed to fix this temporarily until I can arrange a new case and risers at the end of this month.

That's interesting. Well my build was actually for a client. So the system sits at his house now. I will tell him to flash the BIOS again with the same version and see if that fixes it. He hasn't bugged me lately. But if he keeps bugging me about it, I'll have to tell him to RMA it. Anyways, thanks for the info paulharvey86

phil

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 19-August-15, 02:44:16 »

i havnt seen a msi board since socket A, but i bought 2 new fm2's recently
1 had error 99 code
relates to the I\O configuration apparantly

the troubled board ended up was missing the jusb_pw2 jumper on the pins (power to wake from usb)
not in your case as its already been working, but may be worth looking into

konolhoo

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 21-April-16, 06:04:44 »

Hey guys , I got that issue too , I thought it was the RAM broken , since it always broke
 , maybe once in two monthes , after I pulled out the ram and test it in another pc , the ram worked.

The pc store tell me that it is the motherboard problem , it may cause the ram broke too.
So I should check if the motherboard isn't in the right position or not?

Well , after I pull out the ram , even the 99 error code gone . Without any display , hope that it wasn't the display card issue _| ̄|○

plutomate

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #10 on: 21-April-16, 06:26:27 »

If you have any usb device attached to your motherboard, remove them and give it a try again. Also, make sure everything is plugged in properly.

rtognazz

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 09-September-17, 18:15:50 »

I made a build with this mother board and it has been working flawlessly for the past 1-2 years. I bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick (a USB device) and get the code 99 during bootup when it is plugged in, but when uplugged everything works fine. Is there any fix for this yet? I tried to disable booting from all USB but didn't have any luck disabling it due to USB disabling being tied to UEFI. On a side note; if I plug in the joystick after it boot, it works great.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 10-September-17, 19:43:09 »

@rtognazz
if you have some issue please open new topic,
don't resurrect old topics
>>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<

topic locked
Pages: [1]   Go Up