Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 【MSI PRO MOD-S2】 'Behemoth' Battlecruiser by RandomDesign  (Read 8947 times)

mephiderweiseTopic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

And here is yet another project.

The concept
Because I like the computer game Starcraft so much, I had the idea to build my own Battlecruiser for a long time. Thanks to MSI I was now finally able to do it.
 The aim was to get as close to the original as possible. But I already knew in the beginning that I had to do many compromises.
The basic idea was, to make the entire mod quickly recognizable. Moreover, I planned to separate the mod into 7 parts for a better transportation and storage.

The Hardware
The Hardware was kindly provided by MSI, Silverstone, bitspower, and G.Skill.
 In addition I got some cable sleeves, plugs, a water pump and other small items from the German companies Gosumodz and alphacool.
CPU: Intel I7 5820K
 GPU: MSI GTX 780Ti Lightning
 Mobo: MSI X99A Godlike Gaming
 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2666C15Q 32GB  8x4GB
 SSD: G.Skill Phoenix 120GB
 PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold S Series ST85F-GS
 LED-Fans: Silverstone AP121-L 6x
 Watercooling parts: bitspower
And all in one picture :D

Now let the worklog begin

At first I did a 3D model of the entire mod to get a feeling for the right proportion. I used many different reference pictures and tried to find a design that I liked the most. After some hours of work the model was finished.

For the exact measurements I made myself drawings for each part of the mod.

Then I cut out all the pieces for the ‘body’ part and also started to make some holes for the cable management, fans and radiators.

At the end I made a test-fitting of all the wooden parts I had so far.

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Re: 【MSI PRO MOD-S2】 'Behemoth' Battlecruiser by RandomDesign
« Reply #1 on: 22-September-15, 09:19:46 »

After the body was done, I started with the middle part and cut out all of the wooden pieces.
 I also made a test fit of the parts at the end.

Then it was the heads turn.

And the wings of course.

After the basic shape of every part was done, I had really a lot of wood on my table. I made a final test to see the exact proportions. In addition I could see how the final result will most likely be. The entire mod had a length of 121cm at this point. As you can see every part has its own cover to work on the inside later on.

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 23-September-15, 12:52:38 »

After the basic shape was done, I started to work on some of the details.
 First I cut holes in the side panels to have some room for the windows later on.

I also made a cover for the wings and attached a mounting system, so that I can simply put all pieces together.

Afterwards, I cut some HDF to hide the transition between the windows and the wood

Then I worked my way through the mod, body part by body part. I started with the head.
 First I glued everything together and attached some details.

And I added even more details and tried to match the original. Most of the parts where build out of ply wood and MDF. After everything was attached, I wanted to achieve a more spaceship like look. Therefore, I drew a pattern onto the surface and cut it in with a Dremel.

As for the middle part, I started by applying carbon foil on each part on the inside. My aim was, if the covers are taken away, the inside should also looks nice and clean. Then I glued and screwed everything together and added the spaceship pattern also. In addition, I cut out many detail parts and added them to the mod.  

And here is a little picture of my workspace :D You don’t need much space to be creative!

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 24-September-15, 08:51:23 »

As a next step I build the wings. I also attached some carbon foil to the inside. Some details were build that will be illuminated later on.

The weapon/engine system was a heck lot of work, not because it was so difficult but I had so many small pieces that needed to be sanded and glued in place by hand. I also installed some acrylic glass with inserted LED´s to give it a nice effect. You can´t see it in the picture but the light will pulse later on.

Then the body was build up with the same techniques. In addition, I made a test as always after everything was combined  :D

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 26-September-15, 03:27:45 »

As a next step, I cut the space ship pattern into the surface of the body. Then I attached more details on the back part to cover some parts of the radiators. In addition a small mounting system for the water tanks was also build on top of the body. After evetything was done, I gave all the parts a nice coat of spray filler to hide some rough spots and to even out the surface. Then, I quick sanded all the pieces and primed them with black dispersion color.

While the paint dried, I started to work on the windows. I cut them in shape and dulled them down with a sanding sponge. To get the window like look, I cut some black foil into shape and attached them on the arcylic glass.

Then I made a new cover for the GPU and made all the electric parts. I build an LED fader for some nice effects later on. At the end I tested everything as always.

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 26-September-15, 08:39:41 »

To switch all the light on, I build a little control panel out of aluminum.

Then it was time for the paint job. I dabbed on dark silver color by hand to achieve a metal like effect. I left some black spots shining through to underline the metal like surface. Then details were painted on with pure silver color.

While this layer of paint dried, I sleeved all the cables in red and black to match the overall color theme of the inside. Then I worked on the cable management. Even it is not visible in the finished mod, I was going to do it as clean as possible. All the cables are hidden in a space I left between the motherboard and the bottom part of the body.

As one final step the water cooling parts were installed. For the motherboard water block I needed to cut some of the original cooling because I wanted to keep it on the board for astatic purpose. Then all the fittings and tubes were attached.

So, then the work was done. It took me about 300 hours to complete this mod. I just want to mention that everything is done 100% by hand. I did not use any CNC, laser cutting etc.

The final pictures will be uploaded tomorrow :)

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 27-September-15, 03:07:29 »

And here are the final images:

dumuu

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 29-September-15, 20:05:58 »

Cool! no matter outside or inside, they are just as powerful as it shows~

Lula

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 29-September-15, 22:36:46 »

the concept for the starcraft is pretty cool!
looks cool with MSI's VGA card and mobo.
pretty creative!

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #9 on: 30-September-15, 07:27:47 »

Thanks,
I am still planning to include some more effects like smoke, or LEDs for the water tank. So, although it is a finished mod, i have som many new ideas what to change or add.

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #10 on: 08-October-15, 07:56:58 »

And here is a short video about the mod:

Mark011

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 12-October-15, 22:49:40 »

I love sc2 too, and this is The best starcraft mod i ever seen ;-)

mike.petereyns

• The sky is the limit !
  • STAFF SERGEANT
  • Custom your life...
    • www.PC-customs.be
« Reply #12 on: 13-October-15, 15:41:15 »

crazy build bro, welcome to the judge crew (y) ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up