Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 and saving programs to drive D  (Read 2050 times)

mommy0406Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Windows 10 and saving programs to drive D
« on: 01-October-15, 19:17:45 »

Hi everyone! I purchased a new MSI laptop yesterday, a GE72 2QF Apache Pro. It came with a 128GB SSD with the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD for data (disk d)

I want to keep as many programs as possible on drive D and save drive C just for the main game I play and the OS, but so far as I can tell, the only way to do that is to change the registry values? I did that, but ran in to an error and am now in the middle of a reset.  (This is the article I followed but this matches what I've seen posted in other places. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-program-files-directory-windows) 

Am I missing something? My previous computer had a 256GB SSD with windows 8.1 on it and that was big enough to fit all my programs with about 30GB to spare.  In theory I could pull the SSD out of my old computer, but I'd ultimately prefer to have my programs on drive D as much as possible anyways. 

If the above method is ok, I'd really appreciate it if someone would walk me through the order they did things in to get the game on the OS drive.  For example - windows settings, wifi connection, complete all updates, remove norton, then change registry and reboot before installing anything? (Does install order matter?)

Thanks in advance!

tokphys

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Re: Windows 10 and saving programs to drive D
« Reply #1 on: 01-October-15, 21:03:57 »

What's the problem with specifying drive D: during the installation of programs?

msi10

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 01-October-15, 21:27:55 »

Hi everyone! I purchased a new MSI laptop yesterday, a GE72 2QF Apache Pro. It came with a 128GB SSD with the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD for data (disk d)

I want to keep as many programs as possible on drive D and save drive C just for the main game I play and the OS, but so far as I can tell, the only way to do that is to change the registry values? I did that, but ran in to an error and am now in the middle of a reset.  (This is the article I followed but this matches what I've seen posted in other places. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-program-files-directory-windows)

Am I missing something? My previous computer had a 256GB SSD with windows 8.1 on it and that was big enough to fit all my programs with about 30GB to spare.  In theory I could pull the SSD out of my old computer, but I'd ultimately prefer to have my programs on drive D as much as possible anyways.

If the above method is ok, I'd really appreciate it if someone would walk me through the order they did things in to get the game on the OS drive.  For example - windows settings, wifi connection, complete all updates, remove norton, then change registry and reboot before installing anything? (Does install order matter?)

Thanks in advance!
hi mommy :)

if I understood you correctly, you're basically looking to save space on the OS drive....well you could do as @
tokphys
suggested but I take it you already have saved levels which you don't want to lose and there is a way to do this with the MKlink in a dos window with Administrator rights.

Just
rename the main Game folder on D:\ to Whatever it's called and add 3 letters to the end of it.....to keep it simple- something like this:
YourGameDirectoryORG
then type the following in the command window and that's it.

MKlink /D C:\Windows\YourGameDirectory D:\Windows\YourGameDirectoryORG    (obviously enter the correct path to your game folder)

this will simply create an Identical folder on the OS with all the folders and files as a link to D:\

many do this with E.G. the windows update directory in order to save space.

so if I understood correctly...hope it helps

mommy0406Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 01-October-15, 23:16:40 »

What's the problem with specifying drive D: during the installation of programs?
Not every program gives the option of targeting what drive to install on. 

Basically I want the default installation drive to be the D drive so that the programs that don't give me an option will still install on D. I know people do it regularly, but there seems to be less discussion surrounding windows 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up